Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
1,700 year old statue.......that is stupid. No way that is true at all, anybody saying so is an outright liar. That is artifacts, so do not be stupid. How stupid could an person be.
This stupid--- After showing 10 plagues to Pharoah on their behalf( Israelites) and parting a sea in front of their face--and wiping out Pharoahs army who followed them into the red sea----- knew 100% for sure--YHWH( Jehovah) did it--1 week later made a golden calf to worship----- doesn't get any stupider than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
This stupid--- After showing 10 plagues to Pharoah on their behalf( Israelites) and parting a sea in front of their face--and wiping out Pharoahs army who followed them into the red sea----- knew 100% for sure--YHWH( Jehovah) did it--1 week later made a golden calf to worship----- doesn't get any stupider than this.
Only if you believe in myths.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Only if you believe in myths.

Much of the ot was proven true by archeologists.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
So say you, and others of your sect.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So say you, and others of your sect.

And the archeologist'

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM

106 posts, read 74,757 times
Quote:
Not exactly. The OT is only confirmed by some events but not all (For example Ezekiel 26, the prophecy of Tyre is undoubtedly incorrect)

Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erobrer View Post
Not exactly. The OT is only confirmed by some events but not all (For example Ezekiel 26, the prophecy of Tyre is undoubtedly incorrect)
No, I think people can still pretend it was correct if they so choose to.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Here you are claiming AS FACT that the Jesus story is a myth.
So you continue to dodge what my actual point is. That there is no corroborating evidence for the existence of the Nazarene outside your pet Bible is what I would base any claim of "myth" on but that was not my main point, and you know it.

My claim which you so transparently avoided here is that there exists many parallels between the Jesus story and ones that came before it. Just like there are many parallels between The Lion the witch and the wardrobe and the Jesus story. This is common in fiction that themes and imagery are revisited and recycled.

Quote:
You could have simply said that you saw parallels in the story.
Not just could. DID. That is what I said.

Quote:
Besides, Lewis never hid the fact that the book series was based on the story of Jesus.
Then whats your problem? Even when you agree with me you seem compelled to act like you disagree.

Quote:
And my point that archaeology serves as a point of EVIDENCE in favor of the Bible stands.
Except in sole isolation it does not such thing. You need more than this to make such evidence "Stand". It has to be corroborated and supported. Once again: Simply verifying the existence of locations in a book in NO WAY supports the contention that the event in that book really occurred. You can keep ignoring that fact and desperately flapping around it, but the fact remains.

Quote:
I pointed out the fallacies that you use. Simply denying it doesn't make you right.
Except I have used none. I have done nothing more than point out the ones YOU use. Pointing out the fallacies of another is not itself a fallacy. No matter how much you need to pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Give me some supporting links if I am to believe that personal testimony alone is NEVER accepted in a court of law.
As usual you are using your MO tactic of making a claim, having that claim called into question, and then dodging by attempting to shift the onus of proof onto the people who fail to buy your assertions.

In post #153 you brought up the idea of how testimony is used in law. Not me. You. The onus therefore is on you to substantiate your claims about how testimony is used in law. Not on me. So YOU give ME some supporting links that show that entirely uncorroborated personal testimony is used in law.

I gave you an example. Show me what % of rare accusations were found guilty when supported by nothing but the victims accusation and testimony.

Can you find a %? Can you even find one example? Or do you retract your nonsense for once?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
And I responded that your insult was not to my satisfaction. Give me some supporting links if I am to believe that personal testimony alone is NEVER accepted in a court of law.
Under article VIII, rule 801 of the US Federal Rules of Evidence:

Quote:
(c) Hearsay.—‘‘Hearsay’’ is a statement, other than one made by
the declarant while testifying at the trial or hearing, offered in
evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted.
And Rule 802:

Quote:
Rule 802. Hearsay Rule
Hearsay is not admissible except as provided by these rules or
by other rules prescribed by the Supreme Court pursuant to statu-
tory authority or by Act of Congress.
For brevity, I have omitted the full entry.

The full document can be read here (http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/Rul...les/EV2009.pdf).

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
And my point that archaeology serves as a point of EVIDENCE in favor of the Bible stands. That alone puts the scales in my favor since you have zero proof that the Bible authors all conspired to create a work of fiction.
That's completely untrue.

The archaeological "evidence" barely even qualifies. It's like naming someone a suspect in a crime when the only evidence you have is that the accused was in the same town where the crime was committed.

"Well, sir, there was a murder in New York City last night, and you WERE in New York City, so we're going to take you in for questioning ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality