Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Bottom line, you don't like Hobby Lobby's values, don't work there!
I don't shop there.

While they're busy deciding what pills they will cover on insurance they buy products made in the sweatshops of China. Which has something called a "one child" policy and a government that forces abortion. So all the Chinese women making cheap stuff for Hobby Lobby to sell at inflated prices can be FORCED to have an abortion. They're a very wealthy family with values that say, "We want to dictate to American women. We don't care about Chinese women. Or what's in their womb." Or maybe they've figured out their massive profit margin will plunge if they said something like, "OK. New policy. We're Christians so we're not selling anything made in a sweat shop by a woman who could be forced to have an abortion."

I'll never set foot in the store. The worst kind of hypocrite is a religious hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't shop there.

While they're busy deciding what pills they will cover on insurance they buy products made in the sweatshops of China. Which has something called a "one child" policy and a government that forces abortion. So all the Chinese women making cheap stuff for Hobby Lobby to sell at inflated prices can be FORCED to have an abortion. They're a very wealthy family with values that say, "We want to dictate to American women. We don't care about Chinese women. Or what's in their womb." Or maybe they've figured out their massive profit margin will plunge if they said something like, "OK. New policy. We're Christians so we're not selling anything made in a sweat shop by a woman who could be forced to have an abortion."

I'll never set foot in the store. The worst kind of hypocrite is a religious hypocrite.
Amen.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
As is their right to do.
No, actually, it's not ... because their idea of a "victory" is taking away the freedoms of others, which is why they usually lose in court. Even here, their victory was limited.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
their idea of a "victory" is taking away the freedoms of others
In this case, whose freedom is being taken away?

Every woman is entitled to use whatever contraceptive method she wants. Sounds like freedom to me.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM

112 posts, read 92,832 times
Quote:
Religious freedom is a major cornerstone of our country. What does it mean? It means the government can't force a business owner to do something against their morals. But you twist it completely around and say it is about giving the business owners freedom to force employees to follow their religious practices.

How is not paying for an abortion pill forcing someone to follow Christian practices? If the business owner told the employee that if you take this drug even if you pay for it yourself, you will be fired then you have something resembling your Muslim comparison. Hobby Lobby is not doing that at all.

It's not just abortion pills, it's also IUD's, which many women use because they can't use the pills, or for other medical reasons. Also, as mentioned by DewDropInn, they don't mind buying their stuff from places that force abortions, but I guess that's okay since they are making money huh? What about the fact that they invest in companies that make those very same pills? They are hypocrites of the worst kind.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK, I have four simple yes-no questions for you?

1) Is it wrong to kill a healthy living human?

2) Is a 8-month old healthy fetus a living human?

3) Is a 3-month old healthy fetus a living human?

4) Is a fertilized egg (a zygote) a living human?

I will be happy to give my Yes or No answers if anyone is interested.
Yes, Yes, Not Sure-prob. No (I have to do more study on embryology), No

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
???

Is this saying the government pays for coverage of contraception for those who work for churches and church charities?
There is an existing religious exemption from providing contraceptive coverage that applies only to non-profit religious organizations -- for example, a Catholic hospital generally doesn't want to pay for contraceptives for religious reasons. To compensate for the fact that some employees will want contraception and shouldn't be penalized because of their employer's religious ideations, any such employee may still obtain contraceptive coverage, but the government foots the bill for the extra premiums rather than the employer. That way, employees that want the coverage can still have it paid for, but the religious organization isn't forced to pay for it contrary to their conscience.

The Hobby Lobby decision simply suggests that a similar workaround can be implemented for closely held private corporations to which they have now extended this exemption as well.

Your confusion about why the government doesn't pay for all of this in the first place is understandable since that's the way it works in most of the civilized world apart from the US. However a single-payer system like that is politically infeasible here. It's therefore ironic that a side effect of a decision such as this, at the behest of the religious, who generally oppose single-payer, actually creates a single-payer situation for the limited purpose of contraception. I'm sure it's an unintended side effect, and if (for example) the owners of Hobby Lobby could prevent their employees from getting coverage for contraceptives, they would.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
If their values stay THERE then you are 100% correct.

When they start to petition the High Courts to have their values be implemented externally to there however.... then they are fair game just like everything else.

I am actually all for allowing businesses to discriminate on religious grounds actually. PRIVATE businesses that is. I defend for example the rights of the Bakery who refused to make a cake for a homosexual wedding.

But anything that is government operated, government owned, of contracted by the government or chosen to implement government actions (such as national health care)..... that is another story and I am happy to take the war to them.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Read my previous post.
Not sure how some employees having various opinions on these questions means the company in question gets to ignore the law. Can you connect the two for me?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And against your Christian conscience as well!!!

Too soon to rep, etc. etc.

But I suspect you will hear in so many words that a corporation is allowed a Christian monetary conscience, and you as an individual are not.
Yep, this decision is saying the religious "beliefs" of corporations are more important than the welfare of actual people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality