Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,639 times

Advertisements

Where is the outrage over the fact that ISIS is looting and destroying priceless artifacts of our collective cultural past? See: ISIS Is About to Destroy Biblical History in Iraq - The Daily Beast

Despite the title, it is not JUST Biblical history, obviously. It is a large chunk of Ancient Near Eastern history all the way up to modern times. The Epic of Gilgamesh? Who cares about that? It's just the oldest Epic of mankind - collectively. It must burn before the religious extremist idiocy of ISIS, along with other irreplaceable objects of our collective past.

So much more to learn about our past, yet these sites are being looted and destroyed as we speak. If only some country had come up with some method of fighting back without destroying such priceless artifacts... oh wait, they did. But America had a fuss over it and here we are! THANKS, O..... Henry.

Please pardon me. I've been a bit out of sorts over this for a while now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

37 posts, read 31,846 times
Where is the Jewish protests against Israhel?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adept View Post
Where is the Jewish protests against Israhel?
Start a new thread on this if you want.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM

37 posts, read 31,846 times
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Start a new thread on this if you want.
You miss my point. It could be that there is a double standard which is unreasonable.

Anyway, that no arab or islamic nation has proclaimed itself to be a Vilayat administration zone of the Caliphate is itself a revolt against the Caliph?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Considering that there are ample examples of Mohammed being portrayed in medieval muslim literature and art, some of us see the issues of the cartoons as somewhat contrived. The flames of were fanned by muslim religious leaders. It is not that it is forbidden to portray Mohammed in the Koran is it? And even today, it is not a universal ban, is it?

To suggest ALL muslims were insulted (which the 1.5 billion would represent) is not completely correct. Most Shia's could care less, right?

It was only a cartoon. It killed no one. ISIS is killing people.

Is it not correct that any hadith that discusses the issue applies to muslims only? Are muslims not directed to not enter buildings with icons, but not to demand their removal? Isn't it true that the hadith says that those that portray icons will burn in hell?

Isn't the hadith being perverted in the 21st century from it's original intent?

It was the Shi'a that issued the fatwa (Ayatollah Khomeini) calling for the death of the cartoonists. the Shi'a are an organized religion with a hierarchy of clergy and do take the fatwa of an ayatollah as being a command from Allah(swt)

Up until a few days ago, I doubt if most Muslims had any idea as to what ISIS is. It was not affecting them personally. they stayed oblivious to it.

What most saw was civil war inside Syria and Yemen trying to overthrow dictatorial governments.

Everything hit the fan when "What's-his-Name" declared himself a Caliph.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Up until a few days ago, I doubt if most Muslims had any idea as to what ISIS is. It was not affecting them personally. they stayed oblivious to it.

What most saw was civil war inside Syria and Yemen trying to overthrow dictatorial governments.

ISIS is older news than that; they came to general awareness roughly when Mosul fell to them about a month ago. They don't call themselves ISIS anymore; they call themselves simply The Islamic State, effective, I believe, when what's-his-name grandly declared himself Caliph.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
ISIS is older news than that; they came to general awareness roughly when Mosul fell to them about a month ago. They don't call themselves ISIS anymore; they call themselves simply The Islamic State, effective, I believe, when what's-his-name grandly declared himself Caliph.
While ISIS existed there did not seem to be any name for them. and they had little awareness outside of Syria and Iraq.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
It was the Shi'a that issued the fatwa (Ayatollah Khomeini) calling for the death of the cartoonists. the Shi'a are an organized religion with a hierarchy of clergy and do take the fatwa of an ayatollah as being a command from Allah(swt)

I am correct though, am I not, that the Koran says nothing about the portrayal of Mohammed, and that any hadith applies only to Muslims, and then only as far as idolatry is concerned.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I am correct though, am I not, that the Koran says nothing about the portrayal of Mohammed, and that any hadith applies only to Muslims, and then only as far as idolatry is concerned.
The prohibition is based upon Ahadith.

It is discussed in detail in the Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 58 and can be read in English HERE

It should be noted there is not full agreement about this.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
The prohibition is based upon Ahadith.

It is discussed in detail in the Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 58 and can be read in English HERE

It should be noted there is not full agreement about this.
I can see that it should then preclude any images, including photographic ones if one is to interpret it literally.

I don't think too many muslims worry about whether or not they own photographs, do they?

It sort of like christians who don't stone people for working on the sabbath.

What is written appears to be taken literally when it promotes a point of view, but twisting and turning occurs when for whatever reason it doesn't.

Organized religion that depends on ancient texts seem to run into all sorts of convolutions that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality