Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

This text inserted by moderator:This thread is a results of a series of posts that originally started in the Golden Compass thread but morphed into a line of thought worthy of a new thread.

We were discussing the Golden Compass and the topic of CS Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia and we began to lean towards this discussion.

This also may be relevant to a previous thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...righteous.html

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Thread begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
C.S.Lewis was a Christian author and this guy is an athiest.
C S Lewis was an atheist until late in life when he converted to Christianity. The Chronicles of Narnia are about the struggle of good and evil, in that way it could be enjoyed by almost any philosophy.

He also wrote a book called The Screwtape Letters which is about a Devils angel training a younger one to tempt people. Some christians are very offended by it.

The religion I was raised in acted like even touching a so called BAD book could corrupt you. I think it was more about controlling what people read for fear they will expand their minds.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-17-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
C S Lewis was an atheist until late in life when he converted to Christianity. The Chronicles of Narnia are about the struggle of good and evil, in that way it could be enjoyed by almost any philosophy.

He also wrote a book called The Screwtape Letters which is about a Devils angel training a younger one to tempt people. Some christians are very offended by it.
He was a Christian when he wrote both of the aforementioned books.(At least I'm 99% sure he was.)

Anyway, this is kinda getting off topic, but I'm interested in Christians that are offended by The Screwtape Letters. I just read it for the first time a few weeks back and thought it was great. Do you know why Christians might be offended by it or do you have any info on that line of thought?

Curious.....

Last edited by Alpha8207; 03-27-2008 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
He was a Christian when he wrote both of the aforementioned books.(At least I'm 99% sure he was.)

Anyway, this is kinda getting off topic, but I'm interested in Christians that are offended by The Screwtape Letters. I just read it for the first time a few weeks back and thought it was great. Do you know why Christians might be offended by it or do you have any info on that line of thought?

Curious.....
Yes C S Lewis had converted to being a Christian by the time he wrote the books in question.

I am not sure why anyone would be offended unless its just the mere mention of devils and so forth. I know my Father who was a retired minister found it very interesting but not all people in the religion I was raised in are like that. Many will not read things that are written by non adventists. My Father was considered a heretic by some because he had a questioning mind AND there was a HUGE stir when both my parents started wearing wedding bands (believe it or not).

Last edited by Alpha8207; 03-27-2008 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yes C S Lewis had converted to being a Christian by the time he wrote the books in question.

I am not sure why anyone would be offended unless its just the mere mention of devils and so forth. I know my Father who was a retired minister found it very interesting but not all people in the religion I was raised in are like that. Many will not read things that are written by non adventists. My Father was considered a heretic by some because he had a questioning mind AND there was a HUGE stir when both my parents started wearing wedding bands (believe it or not).
See, now I'm about to be so guilty of going off-topic. What could we call this discussion and I'll start a new thread.

It's interesting because as I read the Screwtape Letters, I was like "Wow, this is soooo good. This 'demon' has Christians so figured out." It's very deep and really speaks about the the way Christians are slaves to the chains of religion rather than a real knowing of Christ. (I found the first 6 or 8 chapters truly amazing.)

Wedding bands got religious folks worked up...sad...but exactly the kind of folks Jesus railed against all through scripture. He had little use for the 'establishment'.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 03-27-2008 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
See, now I'm about to be so guilty of going off-topic. What could we call this discussion and I'll start a new thread.

It's interesting because as I red the Screwtape Letters, I was like "Wow, this is soooo good. This 'demon' has Christians so figured out." It's very deep and really speaks about the the way Christians are slaves to the chains of religion rather than a real knowing of Christ. (I found the first 6 or 8 chapters truly amazing.)

Wedding bands got religious folks worked up...sad...but exactly the kind of folks Jesus railed against all through scripture. He had little use for the 'establishment'.
The religion I was raised in didn't believe in wearing jewelry, along with alot of other very bizarre ideas. My Dad used to say that sometimes the church reminded him of the Pharisees of the bible.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The religion I was raised in didn't believe in wearing jewelry, along with alot of other very bizarre ideas. My Dad used to say that sometimes the church reminded him of the Pharisees of the bible.
Yeah, I'd say so. I also must add that my church often times reminds me of the same thing. It's sad really.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd say so. I also must add that my church often times reminds me of the same thing. It's sad really.
Don't you think a certain number of people across religiouns lines, atheists the whole bit tend towards this? It sort of reminds me of a manisfestation of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) but with a religious twist.

I think there are those who must feel like they are in charge, they are monitering others and controlling others, no matter what god they celebrate.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Don't you think a certain number of people across religiouns lines, atheists the whole bit tend towards this? It sort of reminds me of a manisfestation of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) but with a religious twist.

I think there are those who must feel like they are in charge, they are monitering others and controlling others, no matter what god they celebrate.
I think you're right Lindsey. From a Christian standpoint, what drives me up the wall is that these people whacking people over the head and establishing rules that supersede God's Word is EXACTLY what Jesus condemned. Time and again He talked about the Pharisees and how they 'knew' about God but didn't 'know' God. I can't help but be frustrated over how so many church leaders are blind to the fact that they are standing before a congregation shouting "Thank you God, that you didn't make me like these other sinners."

It turns my stomach.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think you're right Lindsey. From a Christian standpoint, what drives me up the wall is that these people whacking people over the head and establishing rules that supersede God's Word is EXACTLY what Jesus condemned. Time and again He talked about the Pharisees and how they 'knew' about God but didn't 'know' God. I can't help but be frustrated over how so many church leaders are blind to the fact that they are standing before a congregation shouting "Thank you God, that you didn't make me like these other sinners."

It turns my stomach.
I don't think its just christians, I think its all over. I honestly believe that some people are happier if life is more complicated.

AND oh man did that freak me a little to see this thread with my name on it. For a minute I was like "Have I lost my mind so that I don't remember starting a thread with that title?" LOL.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think its just christians, I think its all over. I honestly believe that some people are happier if life is more complicated.

AND oh man did that freak me a little to see this thread with my name on it. For a minute I was like "Have I lost my mind so that I don't remember starting a thread with that title?" LOL.
LOL.

Sorry to freak you out. Are you OK with it?

Anyway, it is all over, no doubt.

I think it's that just after months and months here at the CD grindstone. I've seen that most of the issues people have with Christians and Christianity have come from experiences with people who really have the persona of Jesus correct, but His message completely whacked.

I don't know if that makes sense, but this is a really good discussion. I've been needing to get this stuff 'off my chest'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality