Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of the song by Charley Pride ( ? ). as part of that song, "because know one knows what goes on behind closed doors", this is true true for humans as we don't but God does and He will be the final judge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopefully you know that HIV can be transmitted through heterosexual sex. And heterosexuals can get that virus when the husband/wife they married at the First Church of the Bible in a traditional marriage commits adultery with someone who carries the virus. Using the "standard" parts of the body that even the most traditional in society would consider acceptable use for that body part.
You didn't read very thoroughly as I made a mention of that in another post 113.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Pastor Vizio.

I agree with the above statement whole-heartedly. The real question then becomes: what makes you think that same-sex marriage will make people give up on marriage? That's what I hear from the religious folks who oppose it...that it will destroy the sanctity of marriage, weaken the institution, and other claims that are similarly vague and unfounded. But if marriage continues on just fine even though adultery happens, why will it not be fine with same-sex marriages happening?

Spoiler Alert! The institution of marriage will be fine and continue on as normal once same-sex marriage is recognized everywhere in the U.S. And that day is coming...

Thanks.
I think that by compromising and agreeing on a new definition of marriage, marriage is weakened. I believe marriage is a sacred thing. Man didn't create it, and we don't have the right to define it.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
No, I don't see it as inherently unhealthy although in certain circumstances it could be....so could brushing your teeth.
You're twisting my words...not an uncommon thing around here with some of you.

Did I ever say AIDS has not affected society? No, I didn't think so.
You have, however, tried to use that little bit of twisting so as to avoid answering the actual questions.

I'll repeat them....
"How is anal sex unhealthy?"(Other than the very narrow situation of one of the partners having AIDS)
"How is the practice of two guys having supposedly unhealthy anal sex bad for society"
I just answered both have a Great Fourth of July

Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I just answered both have a Great Fourth of July
A question to others reading this. Do you think he really believes he answered those questions?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think championing sin in the public square is bad for any society. It normalizes immoral behavior. This is why there is a pushback amongst Christian sects against homosexuality.
How is homosexuality immoral? It is natural as heterosexuality, albeit a much smaller subset, likely less than 5%. It certainly is not the majority, but why does that make it unnatural??

Let's but it slightly different. Is it unnatrual for a deer to eat meat? One would think so, but there are documented cases of deer eating meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Here are some scientific references:
  • Ellis-Felege, S. N., Burnam, J. S., Palmer, W. E., Sisson, D. C., Wellendorf, S. D., Thornton, R. P., Stribling, H. L. & Carroll, J. P. 2008. Cameras identify White-tailed deer depredating Northern bobwhite nests. Southeastern Naturalist 7, 562-564.
  • Furness, R. W. 1988. Predation on ground-nesting seabirds by island populations of red deer Cervus elaphus and sheep Ovis. Journal of Zoology 216, 565-573.
  • Nack, J. L. & Ribic, C. A. 2005. Apparent predation by cattle at grassland bird nests. The Wilson Bulletin 117, 56-62.
  • PIETZ, P., & GRANFORS, D. (2000). White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) Predation on Grassland Songbird Nestlings The American Midland Naturalist, 144 (2) DOI: 10.1674/0003-0031(2000)144[0419:WTDOVP]2.0.CO;2
  • Spinage, C. A. 1994. Elephants. T & A D Poyser, London.
So.... it's not "natural", but that does not make it abnormal.

Same as homosexuality.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How is homosexuality immoral? It is natural as heterosexuality, albeit a much smaller subset, likely less than 5%. It certainly is not the majority, but why does that make it unnatural??
Why is that the standard for morality? Cannibalism is also quite common in nature.

Are we mere animals that can't control our urges?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thank you for the compliment.

But I just cannot understand why so many fundamentalists are so focused on the physical part of being gay. If it's not a part of someone's (your) personal life..... why even think about it?
Again, I'm not the OP.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Let's but it slightly different. Is it unnatrual for a deer to eat meat? One would think so, but there are documented cases of deer eating meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Here are some scientific references:
  • Ellis-Felege, S. N., Burnam, J. S., Palmer, W. E., Sisson, D. C., Wellendorf, S. D., Thornton, R. P., Stribling, H. L. & Carroll, J. P. 2008. Cameras identify White-tailed deer depredating Northern bobwhite nests. Southeastern Naturalist 7, 562-564.
  • Furness, R. W. 1988. Predation on ground-nesting seabirds by island populations of red deer Cervus elaphus and sheep Ovis. Journal of Zoology 216, 565-573.
  • Nack, J. L. & Ribic, C. A. 2005. Apparent predation by cattle at grassland bird nests. The Wilson Bulletin 117, 56-62.
  • PIETZ, P., & GRANFORS, D. (2000). White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) Predation on Grassland Songbird Nestlings The American Midland Naturalist, 144 (2) DOI: 10.1674/0003-0031(2000)144[0419:WTDOVP]2.0.CO;2
  • Spinage, C. A. 1994. Elephants. T & A D Poyser, London.
So.... it's not "natural", but that does not make it abnormal.

Same as homosexuality.
I don't think we should look to the animal kingdom to set some standard of behavior. Our reasoning ability does set us apart. Also, God has set the standards of morality in the Bible which is what we try and follow.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I don't know. Is it?

And is it SO harmful that it must be attacked with all the ferocity and resources the nation's collective churches can throw at it?

Is it SO harmful that condemning gays must be a greater priority than helping the sick and poor? (See Council of Bishops and the letter they sent to American nuns).

Is it SO harmful that the Mormon church can justify spending $42 million to get gay marriage banned in just one state?

Is it SO harmful that Bible Belt states felt the need to enshrine their definition of marriage in their state constitutions?

Is it SO harmful that businesses simply cannot do business with gays who engage in anal sex? (Straight people who do, however, are happily served with a smile.)

There is simply -no- case in which you can justify the disproportional response from the religious right.

No case at all.

And you have yet to explain why it is harmful to society, because -that's- what I'm interested in. We all know that people do unhealthy things individually all the time and we're not out to ban them all. But if you think -society- should enact laws banning gay marriage and discriminating against homosexuals, you had better have a damn good reason prepared to justify it. Being unhealthy or it being against your religion are reasons heard and rejected as easily defeatable arguments.
You're the one bringing up religion, not me.

Anything that's harmful to the individual, is harmful to society. However, society cannot "ban" such behavior. People are always going to do harmful things.

I don't like the idea of redefining marriage, but it's gonna happen soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality