Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 PM

19,754 posts, read 13,283,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You have failed to realize--the religion Jesus began was murdered along with them---- there were no Christians involved in crusades or the inquisition--- no religion using a pagan cross as its front are Christian in reality--they just tell people they are. One thing is 100% for sure--they do not teach Jesus' truths. these people-Matt 7:21-23.
Yeah, I know, when an inconvenient truth is pointed out, just disown them as Not One Of Us By Definition.

Even if these illusory virtuous ethereally spiritual and assiduously good Christians exist in history from time to time, the fact that they present themselves as a tiny remnant is telling. The victors get to write history. It wasn't the gnostics and mystics who won the day back before and during the Council of Nicea, it was a different group altogether who then accumulated the spoils of the victor, both literally and ideologically.

Besides, I am constrained to ask: if Jesus' religion was, to coin a word, "murderable", then how effective was it, really? Here we are 2,000 years on still waiting for humanity to have their "aha" moment and bow before their alleged lord and savior, and most of them are just yawning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM

19,754 posts, read 13,283,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Do you think the Ukrainian mess is about religious factions? I sure hope not.
My point is that Christians specifically or theists generally are not particularly persecuted, there is plenty of violence and mayhem to go around.
Quote:
I thought the crusades were mostly done not by true Christians but by state run militaries ruled by a pope (who may be anything but a Christian) in Rome.
They regarded themselves as "true Christians". In fact they were simply enforcing the doctrines of their church. Of course the Inquisition had its role in sparking the reformation, etc., which eventually provoked its own outrages (Salem witch trials come to mind).
Quote:
Have you ever been attacked by someone who is a true Christian in every sense of the word? Usually the drunks, drug addicts and gang bangers are the ones who cause the mayhem in cities.
Do you imagine that drunks, drug addicts and gang members are seldom Christians? Oh, I forgot ... not true Christians as you define them!

I would imagine that the underbelly of society is no different than prisons in that they are representative of the larger population, as shown by recent studies. You don't find Christians under-represented in prisons. So I don't think you can otherize people with addictions and those who live in poverty as "not one of you".

Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,298,367 times
Quote:
I thought the crusades were mostly done not by true Christians but by state run militaries ruled by a pope (who may be anything but a Christian) in Rome.
What a strange paradox you endorse.

Everyone is a sinner - except Christians never sin.

Nope.

Because whenever a Christian does something bad, they're not -true- Christians.

You -really- need to study your religion's violent past. You might understand just why Christianity is so dominant. I know you think it's because of some transcendent Truth, but it's not. The Western World was besieged by Christianity, and if you didn't convert, you're likely to lose your head. And not just convert to any old branch of Christianity. Oh no ... anyone worshiping a non-Catholic version of Christianity were systematically hunted down and killed. Then there was the Protestant Reformation - and hmm, how many centuries were the Protestants and Catholics murdering each other over their ridiculous god concepts?

Only reason why you're a Western Christian is because someone a long time ago forced someone else to convert or be executed. I bet one of your ancestors - nay - several of them were faced with just such a choice.

Later of course you were just tortured instead of killed outright - but if you didn't convert and repent, well, there was always having a church marshmallow night around a crackling fire of burning heathens, witches, and blasphemers.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times
That is also a truth that everyone knows but no-one wants to admit - that if Christianity got the whole ball of wax like it wanted, we'd still be fighting and rowing about which kind of Christianity.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is also a truth that everyone knows but no-one wants to admit - that if Christianity got the whole ball of wax like it wanted, we'd still be fighting and rowing about which kind of Christianity.
Nah, I think a lot of people would admit that!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,883,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah, I know, when an inconvenient truth is pointed out, just disown them as Not One Of Us By Definition.

Even if these illusory virtuous ethereally spiritual and assiduously good Christians exist in history from time to time, the fact that they present themselves as a tiny remnant is telling. The victors get to write history. It wasn't the gnostics and mystics who won the day back before and during the Council of Nicea, it was a different group altogether who then accumulated the spoils of the victor, both literally and ideologically.

Besides, I am constrained to ask: if Jesus' religion was, to coin a word, "murderable", then how effective was it, really? Here we are 2,000 years on still waiting for humanity to have their "aha" moment and bow before their alleged lord and savior, and most of them are just yawning.

Jesus sent them--house to house by two, with the good news of Gods kingdom and king, but had to expose the table of demons that at minimum 99% partake off-1Cor 10:21---they don't like it--in fact they filled their hearts with hatred enough to murder all of them back then. And do not like it now either. They want their ears tickled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality