Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,064,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
It is very interesting to me that christians get upset about the Westboro church, they actually have a much better understanding of the god of the bible, who was mean and commanded genocide, murder, rape, slavery and so on.

Why are you christians so bothered about the things they do, really they are much more in line with the bibles idea of god anyways.

I know that is not PC, and the PC god loves and all that stuff, never the less you cant escape the god of the bible and all the mean stuff he did.

rejoice in it .
I would think anyone.. Christian or not.. would be bothered by the things they do.

I don't deny that the bible has some.. well interesting stories in the OT. However, I don't really see that in the NT. So saying "God in the Bible is mean.." is a little misleading. You might say "God in the OT was mean.." and then at least I'd think you put some thought into your post.

JMO.. though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM

285 posts, read 535,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I would think anyone.. Christian or not.. would be bothered by the things they do.

I don't deny that the bible has some.. well interesting stories in the OT. However, I don't really see that in the NT. So saying "God in the Bible is mean.." is a little misleading. You might say "God in the OT was mean.." and then at least I'd think you put some thought into your post.

JMO.. though.
I could give rats ass what the wesboro idiots have to say, they are just another group of nuts ranting on about Jesus.

I was being kind about the OT, if there was such a being as the bible god we he would be the most evil thing that ever lived.

THANK GOD THERE ARE NO GODS LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM

51 posts, read 91,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
It is very interesting to me that christians get upset about the Westboro church, they actually have a much better understanding of the god of the bible, who was mean and commanded genocide, murder, rape, slavery and so on.

Why are you christians so bothered about the things they do, really they are much more in line with the bibles idea of god anyways.

I know that is not PC, and the PC god loves and all that stuff, never the less you cant escape the god of the bible and all the mean stuff he did.

rejoice in it .

God is justice, mercy, faithful, peace, love, grace, and everything good....give me some legitimate examples of when God did such a thing. God is Jesus Christ.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,240,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
It would be ironic if Jesus (if he actually existed) turned out to be a homosexual. Certainly, Christ’s universal message of love cannot be true unless it embraces all mankind, and not just a few self-righteous bigots.
While I agree that Christ's universal method of love embraces all mankind, men can't be saved unless they repent of their sins and ask Christ for forgiveness. I think Christians have done a horrible job at reaching out to the homosexual community. God loves the homosexual the same as he loves the heterosexual and wants to forgive them of that sin and give them the strength to turn away from it. We all have sinned and that is why we need a savior. I am a strong believer based on experience that homosexual temptations are not a choice, but how you respond to them is. God allows different people to be vulnerable to different temptations. Remember Christ was tempted of all sins, yet he never sinned.

It doesn't surprise me there is so much resentment of Christians among homosexuals and their allies after all the persecution they have endured from the Church. In my opinion gay bashing is just as much of a sin as the homosexual lifestyle. It says in the Bible that all those who hate another have committed murder in their heart.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM

51 posts, read 91,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
While I agree that Christ's universal method of love embraces all mankind, men can't be saved unless they repent of their sins and ask Christ for forgiveness. I think Christians have done a horrible job at reaching out to the homosexual community. God loves the homosexual the same as he loves the heterosexual and wants to forgive them of that sin and give them the strength to turn away from it. We all have sinned and that is why we need a savior. I am a strong believer based on experience that homosexual temptations are not a choice, but how you respond to them is. God allows different people to be vulnerable to different temptations. Remember Christ was tempted of all sins, yet he never sinned.

It doesn't surprise me there is so much resentment of Christians among homosexuals and their allies after all the persecution they have endured from the Church. In my opinion gay bashing is just as much of a sin as the homosexual lifestyle. It says in the Bible that all those who hate another have committed murder in their heart.

Right on bro/sis

Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,351,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbean View Post
I'm sorry. I should have clarified.

I a 17 year old high school senior, personally, am against homosexuality. But, it is up to every individual person to choose their orientation.

I have a friend who is a lesbian. Do I support her decision? No. But she is a dear friend to me, despite her choices.

I didn't mean to offend you, by any means. I just don't suppor the idea of homosexuality. I realize that people of your orientation are people as well, and you shouldn't be shunned - it's just that I personally don't agree with homosexuality and think that's it wrong - it's just my personal opinion.

I am not breaking the 2nd commandment - I love my friend who is a lesbian, (she was my primary nurse when I was born prematurely). I think that the comment you made on me breaking the 2nd commandment was a bit off, but let's not turn this into a debate, shall we? I was asking about the WBC views - do you think that they're taking this too far?

Dean
I read your posts, and on the first issue I think we have a segment of the population (the Westboro Baptist Church included) which is and will always be homophobic. I suspect it lack of security in their own sexuality, but that is my opinion, and I like it better than thinking they are just bigots.

I am much older than you and over the years have come to believe the sexuality issue is genetic not a mater of choice. This comes from a life time in the science field. Your friend had no more choice of being a lesbian than she did picking her race. You need to cut her some slack.

I would hate to think of the personal connections you could lose if you removed all the people who are different than you from your list of contacts. I do have to admit in my youth I had a discomforts of different people based on lack of knowledge in most cases. Not just the gay community, but anyone who was different. I grew and through exposure to a wider cultural view, and meeting members of different groups. I recognized how much we were alike. That included the gay community.

Don’t limit you world with the views of the narrow minded it cost you way too much in the future.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,493,892 times
These so-called "Evangelical Christians" represent the glorification of form over substance. They profess true faith, but fall far short in its practice. They give you words - "airy nothings" - when deeds, not words, are needed. They are not true Christians, and they make a mockery of Christ's teachings. They are the bane of goodness, and would pray their way to heaven on credit than pay with good works. They are pious frauds. Theirs is a particularly obnoxious form of hypocrisy that pretends to scruples while abusing them without shame.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterBJK View Post
God is justice, mercy, faithful, peace, love, grace, and everything good....give me some legitimate examples of when God did such a thing. God is Jesus Christ.
Oh you are one of those ?

Lets see god sent she bears to rip apart some kids for calling the prophet baldy, that is mercy and justice right ?

Oh and lets see he commanded his people to kill others, and to make shure they smashed their unborn children against rocks for them to see.

God commanded slavery, rape, murder and even gave them rules for how to sell their daughters as sex slaves.

Oh yea, great guy.

But then again god is good and so if he did it, well then no matter how vile it may seem, it is good.

Seriously, read the bible with an open mind for a change.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,264,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterBJK View Post
If this is so, how come so many of his followers are hateful, unjust, bigots, judging, homophobes and sanctimonious?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If this is so, how come so many of his followers are hateful, unjust, bigots, judging, homophobes and sanctimonious?
Well lets look at their god

Deuteronomy 20:10-14 As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Ok here is a town, minding their own business and God says;

Go and offer to make them slaves, yea that is a great deal right. But if they want to stay FREE, well kill all the men. However, keep the woman, children and livestock and (got to love this) OTHER plunder. god says woman and children are just livestock and plunder, spoils to be enjoyed.

Need more, well you will love this

Exodus 21:7-11 NLT When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

A god who is loving and merciful would certainly give us rules about how to sell our kids into slavery, and by the way daughters where sold as sex slaves, make no mistake.

But check this out if the girls performance isnt to her master liking, then god has given us a refund policy.

Now, why is that christians get so upset when a leader is found doing this same kind of stuff ? god commands it after all.

Oh and I know , that was for then and on the Ot and all that.

Never the less it was still your god and your bible says he never changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality