Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:30 AM

23,161 posts, read 26,118,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
How did you come to that conclusion?

A person born of the Spirit who masturbates for sexual gratification is a spirit playing with the flesh of a man, plain and simple. However, the practice of maintaining a healthy prostate is no sin.

1 John 3:9-10
IOW, you are free (sin-free) to do it, just make sure it's purely for medical reasons so don't actually enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,356,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
What do you mean by maintaining a healthy prostate?
Studies have shown that the more one Ejaculates, whether by masterbation or intercourse, the greater the risk of prostrate cancer in men.

Give That Thing A Rest | Men's Fitness

Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Studies have shown that the more one Ejaculates, whether by masterbation or intercourse, the greater the risk of prostrate cancer in men.

Give That Thing A Rest | Men's Fitness
Well I get two points out of that article:
  • Having sex 20 times a month is being oversexed? REALLY? I thought that was quiet normal.
  • Glad I'm not in my 20's or 30's. Over 60 now, and I guess one can masturbate all one wants if one has not had prostate problems.

Hang in there you yung 'uns. It gets better as you get older

Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 AM

19,823 posts, read 13,357,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Having sex 20 times a month is being oversexed? REALLY? I thought that was quiet normal.
It IS unusual. That is more or less daily sex with an occasional skipped day. That is not reality for most couples. The figures I have heard are 2 or 3 times a week, and I'm suspicious that even that is overreported because people don't want to admit to themselves that they don't have as much sex as they would like. You are almost describing "sex whenever I want it" which almost never happens, at least not for men. Nor does it jibe with the reality of everyday existence, where you are often too exhausted or distracted or anxious to have a mental state that is really conducive to sex AND intimacy. Where communication with you partner is far too dicey and fraught with opportunities for disconnect to be conducive to sex AND intimacy all that often.

In any case, these statements apply to quantity, not quality. Personally, I have had 2 or three sexual experiences in my entire life that were approaching anything that resembles an ideal in my mind. You know, the kind where both people were matched in desire and emotional connection, and ended up being completely satisfied both physically and emotionally afterward, and which now serve as fond wistful memories of What Might Have Been in my dotage. The "brass ring" that everyone reaches for and wishes they could have each and every time -- and which, before you had any actual sexual experiences, you imagined sex would BE like.

Good for you that you actually think 20+ times a month is "normal". Truly. Triple good for you if your partners could keep up and felt similarly. You probably don't know how lucky you are.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It IS unusual. That is more or less daily sex with an occasional skipped day. That is not reality for most couples. The figures I have heard are 2 or 3 times a week, and I'm suspicious that even that is overreported because people don't want to admit to themselves that they don't have as much sex as they would like.
20 is really not that excessive if you consider how often there are multiple engagements in some days, in most cases weekend, but not necessarily. How frequent are evening encounters, followed by early morning ones? That makes up for the skipped ones for sure.

Quote:
You are almost describing "sex whenever I want it" which almost never happens, at least not for men. Nor does it jibe with the reality of everyday existence, where you are often too exhausted or distracted or anxious to have a mental state that is really conducive to sex AND intimacy. Where communication with you partner is far too dicey and fraught with opportunities for disconnect to be conducive to sex AND intimacy all that often.
Most of my partners are as willing as myself. I have found women in their late 50's and early 60's have as little inhibition as men do, and often have libidos that match. Somehow I think 60 is the new 45 as far as female libidos are concerned. But there has to be an intellectual connection way before the hips start connecting for sure, otherwise, it just does not work.

Quote:
In any case, these statements apply to quantity, not quality. Personally, I have had 2 or three sexual experiences in my entire life that were approaching anything that resembles an ideal in my mind. You know, the kind where both people were matched in desire and emotional connection, and ended up being completely satisfied both physically and emotionally afterward, and which now serve as fond wistful memories of What Might Have Been in my dotage. The "brass ring" that everyone reaches for and wishes they could have each and every time -- and which, before you had any actual sexual experiences, you imagined sex would BE like.
LOL... I think you just said in different words what I tried to say above, there HAS to be an intellectual connection first. If that is not there, then it becomes just mutual masturbation, and that truly is not satisfying in the long run, agreed.

Quote:
Good for you that you actually think 20+ times a month is "normal". Truly. Triple good for you if your partners could keep up and felt similarly. You probably don't know how lucky you are.
It really is not excessive. Think about it this way, 3 times a week under normal circumstances = 12 x a month. Throw in 2x each on Saturday and Sunday (evening and morning), is 8 more times... all of a sudden 20 is not that big a number. Or some variation of the weekend encounters during the week. And yes, both need to feel the same way, of course. If it is not a mutual desire, with mutual respect, then it doesn't work. Obligation sex is a non- starter.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It really is not excessive. Think about it this way, 3 times a week under normal circumstances = 12 x a month. Throw in 2x each on Saturday and Sunday (evening and morning), is 8 more times... all of a sudden 20 is not that big a number. Or some variation of the weekend encounters during the week. And yes, both need to feel the same way, of course. If it is not a mutual desire, with mutual respect, then it doesn't work. Obligation sex is a non- starter.
I didn't say it wasn't achievable or even theoretically unreasonable. I just maintain that for any random person on the street, male or female, would they LIKE to achieve that? Most definitely yes, barring health issues or something and assuming it was actually as enjoyable as it's supposed to be. HAVE they? Most likely not even close.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I didn't say it wasn't achievable or even theoretically unreasonable. I just maintain that for any random person on the street, male or female, would they LIKE to achieve that? Most definitely yes, barring health issues or something and assuming it was actually as enjoyable as it's supposed to be. HAVE they? Most likely not even close.
Fair enough and understand what your saying. Everyone's experience is different. And that is why masturbation was invented.. the topic here.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,617,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I would like to hear everyone's opinion whether or not they consider masturbation a sin.

There is the biblical story about a fellow named Onan, and many people consider his sin was masturbation ... or "spilling his seed on the ground." Other claim it was disobeying God.

What is your opinion?

If you're a believer and have masturbated, how do you defend your behavior?
Nonooo. Sorry, my keys are sticky.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Fair enough and understand what your saying. Everyone's experience is different. And that is why masturbation was invented.. the topic here.
Yeah although you do get to a point where you can't even gin up a plausible fantasy to which to masturbate ... and good riddance, as it seems like flogging the bishop at our age is a singularly pathetic commentary on what one's life has come to, at least it that's ALL it's come to, sexually speaking.

But I digress. I have to say that in my salad days (early 1970s) masturbation was not a willing topic of discussion. If one were to gather the courage to see your pastor with a question like the the one posed by the OP, I've little doubt it would be regarded as a "sin" on the basis that even to lust for a woman "in your heart" is no different than fornication itself. But my guess is that most of us happily indulged with only modest feelings of guilt. Or more exactly, the misery of unfulfilled desire at that age is stronger than the guilt the church overtly heaped upon us for fulfilling it in a way that at least seemed far less heinous than the dreaded "sex out of wedlock". (Funny the odd, stilted terminology used to describe such things in those days, it somehow made what should be a beautiful aspect of life seem so seedy. "out of wedlock", "in the nude", etc. were language constructs never used outside of hushed tone gossip, as if these baroque phrasings somehow kept people unsullied from the concepts they represented).

It all comes down to what others have said better than me: the ridiculous notion that the creator, sustainer and ruler of heaven and earth would be concerned with what you do with your sexuality (that he saddled you with in the first place) is not only absurd, but creepy in ways that escape my powers of description. It is unfortunate that we even have to address the issue. It's a little like asking if god loses sleep over what cologne you wear or the color of upholstery in your house, with prurient interest added in for good measure.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 AM

18,227 posts, read 16,841,591 times
I'm not sure but I do know it makes hair grow in the palms of your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality