Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Atheistic or atheistical. I just looked it up in my very heavy Oxford American dictionary. This free public service was brought to you by....

a Christian
Her question was rhetorical. That said, it's good you answered, because I'm using "atheistical" exclusively from here on out...that never-before-seen adjectival form (by me, anyway) is about to get popularized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Her question was rhetorical. That said, it's good you answered, because I'm using "atheistical" exclusively from here on out...that never-before-seen adjectival form (by me, anyway) is about to get popularized
My guess is that George Bush already popularized "atheistical" or it wouldn't be in the dictionary ;-)

Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My guess is that George Bush already popularized "atheistical" or it wouldn't be in the dictionary ;-)
Wow, I misunderestimated just how far my question would go.

But alas I must go. It's time for me to put food on my family.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Wow, I misunderestimated just how far my question would go.

But alas I must go. It's time for me to put food on my family.
That could get messy.
(I use plates)

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Now you are just making me jealous, poppy! . . . (j/k Dew)
Ok Mystic, you are my special Christian, and most entertaining. I would miss you terribly if you were gone. But, Dew and I share locations, so we share more than just religion and spiritual conversation, and she talks to me out of this sub forum, she never plays ignore the atheists. She also has never once preached to me.
But, don't worry, I have a special place for you in my heart and consider you a forum buddy regardless of any disagreements we might have.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
What's surprising to me is the small difference between the top and bottom in the general population results. It only varies about 20%. Now the results of dems and republicans looks a little more like what I expected.

It's always an eye opener for me because where I live in Canada I don't see much distain at all for atheists. In fact it only comes up if someone brings up their belief in God first. It honestly seems like more than 50% of the people in the age bracket I mostly communicate with (24-40) are atheists. The number of religous signs and "God bless you" I receive whenever I take trip south always takes a few days to get use to.
When I go to Japan I enjoy the freedom I feel for this very reason. There are so many atheists there, including Buddhists atheists that I feel right at home.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM

135 posts, read 128,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
When I go to Japan I enjoy the freedom I feel for this very reason. There are so many atheists there, including Buddhists atheists that I feel right at home.
Obviously that's why they get so many horrible earthquakes and tsunamis

But seriously that's pretty great. I've heard Japan is a very secular nation. The month I spent working in Denmark was also that way. It's like religion wasn't even an issue or a thing that really has any impact there.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Obviously that's why they get so many horrible earthquakes and tsunamis

But seriously that's pretty great. I've heard Japan is a very secular nation. The month I spent working in Denmark was also that way. It's like religion wasn't even an issue or a thing that really has any impact there.
Can probably add Canada to that list. In my 63 years here, I've never been asked about my religion, or lack thereof.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM

135 posts, read 128,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Can probably add Canada to that list. In my 63 years here, I've never been asked about my religion, or lack thereof.
For the most part where I live in Canada I can agree with this. Although there are some nutty people still thumping their Bible and a decent number of devoutly practicing Muslims. However I have been told that western Canada, Alberta specifically can be pretty brutal. I have yet to visit Alberta myself though.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
For the most part where I live in Canada I can agree with this. Although there are some nutty people still thumping their Bible and a decent number of devoutly practicing Muslims. However I have been told that western Canada, Alberta specifically can be pretty brutal. I have yet to visit Alberta myself though.
I have no doubt that a lot of the Canadian Bible thumping occurs because of Canada's neighborly status next to the most ridiculously religion-infested nation in the Western-Industrialized world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality