U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
 
34,466 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Makes sense and would answer several questions.

The Hyksos, having had dealings with Babylonians/Assyrians could well be expected to have had chariots, I should think.

The ark of the covenant would support the premise that the Israelites were indeed in Egypt since the concept of the ark is Egyptian (although it has been suggested that it is Assyrian).
The origins of the chariot are a bit murky (I once did a study on chariots and their evolution, spread and demise) but it seems to have evolved in the northern middle east, perhaps from the 4 -wheeled war -wagons of Sumer. I have a suspicion that the use of the ponies of the Steppes were an improvement on the Sumerian Onager, and the faster two -wheeled vehicle developed.

In any case, the Egyptians were unaware of it until the Canaanites used them against the Egyptian army. By the time of Assyria of course, the saddle had been invented and so soldiers could ride horses and cavalry replaced the more clumsy and very expensive chariot except as a ceremonial vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM
 
465 posts, read 132,617 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Earthquake.

Plague.

Flooding.

Volcanic eruption.

Of course, the Black Death qualifies under 'plague', but let's look at the numbers:

(emphasis added)

There are plenty of natural ways for 185,000 people to die in one night.
You certainly have this one right.

What Sirius could do all in one night.

For the damnation of the Egyptian Nile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 AM
 
1 posts, read 303 times
Reputation: 11
Default Assyrians at Jerusalem 795 BC

I disagree FrednotBob, Sennacherib did not abandon his siege of Jerusalem because of Isaiah’s prophecy; he relished the idea of destroying and mocking other gods. Instead, he left because 185,000 of his soldiers were killed the night before they were to begin their attack. They were killed by the angel of the Lord in the night! Dead bodies remained! The question is who/what is “the angel of the Lord” who did this and how? Was it the same “destroying angel” that came on the first Passover to free the Hebrews from their bondage? Plague is often associated with the angel or at least the action the angel takes to bring about the Lord’s command. See 2 Sam. 24:15. It seems fair to believe the cause of 185,000 in one night was a devastating plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 AM
 
34,466 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786
This is going to take forever before it gets into the History books instead of the Biblical version. The Army of Sennacherib do NOT appear to have been smitten by anything more serious that possible camp diseases that persuaded the Assyrian to accept Hezekiah's offer of submission and tribute. The King announced that he marched away with the army conveying the tribute.

The OT has a number of supposedly historical events which range from wrong prophecies (Tyre and Babylon) to very doubtful events such as Exodus and the conquest. Given that Sennacherib had a propaganda aspect to what HE claimed happened, it seems to give the lie to the Biblical account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM
 
2,050 posts, read 558,365 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is going to take forever before it gets into the History books instead of the Biblical version. The Army of Sennacherib do NOT appear to have been smitten by anything more serious that possible camp diseases that persuaded the Assyrian to accept Hezekiah's offer of submission and tribute. The King announced that he marched away with the army conveying the tribute.

The OT has a number of supposedly historical events which range from wrong prophecies (Tyre and Babylon) to very doubtful events such as Exodus and the conquest. Given that Sennacherib had a propaganda aspect to what HE claimed happened, it seems to give the lie to the Biblical account.
In the Iraq war with America
The Iraqi army had a population of one million but collapsed in one month
The reasons are known as technology
In the collapse of the Iraqi army, there is no miracle
In the same picture we can not say that the collapse of the Assyrian army was in a miracle may be for other reasons

Because Jews are known for their intelligence in planning
The Jews planned to destroy Assyria
Babylon and the Chaldeans
Those who read the Torah know this
Two thousand years later, the prophecies of the Torah are fulfilled
The Bible tells us that the Assyrians and the Chaldeans will be dispersed in the four corners of the world
And this happened
I am of Chaldeans and Assyrians
Today, we are scattered around the world
I think that was planned and not a miracle
Because with Mesopotamia converts to the Christian religion
They left their weapons
The Christian religion spread
And bow to the sayings of Christ
But the neighboring peoples did not believe in Christ
Persia and others
The Assyrians and the Chaldeans became a fighting people to a people seeking peace
With the emergence of Islam, he gradually contributed to their elimination
And their remains spread in the world bearing only the name of Christ
And forgot its history and civilization
And became the land of Mesopotamia Arab and Arab Sham and Arab Lebanon
These people ended because of false faith in Christ
I think he can correct history
We declare our apology to the Jewish people
History has shown that the peoples that receive their weapons end
The Jews used their intelligence
So they are the miracle of history
When they stand up to hatred
Jewish intelligence making miracles, my friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 AM
 
34,466 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786
I'm constantly amazed at how war (and indeed cold war) can push technological ingenuity. I did a study on Nazi secret weapons and if Hitler had put money into the atomic bomb and the Horten Glider (rather than the rocket -programme) and projected bomber it could have won him the war.

I have done a bit of looking into the reasons the Israelis beat their muslim opponents so consistently and a problem with Arab command - structure is one reason. And maybe they have a better defense in Iron Dome than the Patriot missile which doesn't actually work.

But I don't want to get into that debate, never mind the rights and wrongs, but simply reiterate that the archeological evidence does not support the Bible account of the siege of Jerusalem. Bottom line, Hezekiah has to give in the Sennaccherib. He got off lightly and the reasons why the Assyrian king agreed to a deal (any why he had to do a stone prism -propaganda to say what a victory it was for him) is open to debate, but the complete divine clobbering of the Assyrian army and Jerusalem neither having to (again) submit as an Assyrian vassal or pary tribute, does not on the evidence seem to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 AM
 
2,050 posts, read 558,365 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm constantly amazed at how war (and indeed cold war) can push technological ingenuity. I did a study on Nazi secret weapons and if Hitler had put money into the atomic bomb and the Horten Glider (rather than the rocket -programme) and projected bomber it could have won him the war.

I have done a bit of looking into the reasons the Israelis beat their muslim opponents so consistently and a problem with Arab command - structure is one reason. And maybe they have a better defense in Iron Dome than the Patriot missile which doesn't actually work.

But I don't want to get into that debate, never mind the rights and wrongs, but simply reiterate that the archeological evidence does not support the Bible account of the siege of Jerusalem. Bottom line, Hezekiah has to give in the Sennaccherib. He got off lightly and the reasons why the Assyrian king agreed to a deal (any why he had to do a stone prism -propaganda to say what a victory it was for him) is open to debate, but the complete divine clobbering of the Assyrian army and Jerusalem neither having to (again) submit as an Assyrian vassal or pary tribute, does not on the evidence seem to be true.
Israel today is also a miracle
If you want to launch a miracle word on it
Because the Israeli people are few, not more than several million
But he returned home after a long struggle
And to keep this people and his state and enemies in billions, this is also a miracle
But evidence suggests that the most important reason for Israel's steadfastness today is
The circumstances surrounding it and the intelligence of the Jews as well
So there are humanitarian factors and conditions to be completed
I believe that the State of Israel today deserves a miracle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 PM
 
34,466 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786
I wouldn't argue with that. I'd just like to hear less of 'We're Jews..", "We're muslims" and more "We're all people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 10:15 PM
 
2,050 posts, read 558,365 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I wouldn't argue with that. I'd just like to hear less of 'We're Jews..", "We're muslims" and more "We're all people".
If a Muslim learns from his childhood that the Jew is an unbeliever and that the Christian is an kafer and that the atheist is an kafer and he is the enemy of God
I think that this talk remains in my mind
We can not say, we are all Muslims
Because I belong to the terrorist thought and the deadly God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 02:33 AM
 
34,466 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4786
You don't have to belong to anything other than the human race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top