Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
I'm lost right now. I'm in my 20s and I really don't want to be apart of my religion right now, but not sure if I want to let go. I want state what it is, but I'm ready to leave.

I dunno, it's the community I'm part of, the over restrictions, the hypocrisy, the everything.

I mean, there are a lot of things that I like about it and truthfully it's stopped me from doing some stupid things (like, say, having a kid way too young). But there's a lot of things that seem....wrong to me (of course I'm just human).

I don't 100% believe in logic, but I feel that applying more logic to my life has brought me further than blind religious beliefs have brought me.

The issue is that I feel like I'm ''sinning'' my not being apart of my religion and do sort of fear of an afterlife (um...nobody has come back from the dead yet to say what happens after so unless I decided to suicided myself tonight....) and torment (yes, some my see it as illogical, but 20+ years of religious upbrining make it apart of my very threads).

I guess I can always go back to my religion but it's tough. I think I still believe in God, I'm just not sure I like the ''specific'' ways to get to him.

Sorry if this is a random rumble, but I don't know what to do.
You are part of a very large and growing club - the irreligious theist. Believing in God is ok. It is probably not sinning if you don't, but, if you do, then you don't have that to worry about.

What you can shed is the idea that the religions and all the restrictive, intrusive and controlling stuff - I don't need to tell you - is not relevant. Maybe some of the founders - Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad - had some good insights, but none of them were the Only Ones got it right and all the others were wrong.

So I suspect you may find it resolves quite easily - believe in God, even in some of the holy book stuff, but not in any one man-made religion as exclusively true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
I'm lost right now. I'm in my 20s and I really don't want to be apart of my religion right now, but not sure if I want to let go. I want state what it is, but I'm ready to leave.

I dunno, it's the community I'm part of, the over restrictions, the hypocrisy, the everything.

I mean, there are a lot of things that I like about it and truthfully it's stopped me from doing some stupid things (like, say, having a kid way too young). But there's a lot of things that seem....wrong to me (of course I'm just human).

I don't 100% believe in logic, but I feel that applying more logic to my life has brought me further than blind religious beliefs have brought me.

The issue is that I feel like I'm ''sinning'' my not being apart of my religion and do sort of fear of an afterlife (um...nobody has come back from the dead yet to say what happens after so unless I decided to suicided myself tonight....) and torment (yes, some my see it as illogical, but 20+ years of religious upbrining make it apart of my very threads).

I guess I can always go back to my religion but it's tough. I think I still believe in God, I'm just not sure I like the ''specific'' ways to get to him.

Good for you. I was your age when I started questioning religion also, and discovered I had questions that nobody could answer. Over time I learned that I can have a relationship with God, and not have to be a part of a community that is hypocritical. I also don't need a book to tell me how to treat another human being.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:08 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:

You didn't need religion to avoid having kids too early. You just needed someone to watch your back. Religion likes to take credit for things that it had nothing to do with.

Also, if you feel like you're "sinning" by not being a part of your religion, then you have succumbed to a cult mentality. You should feel free to change religions or to drop religion altogether without a "threat" hanging over your head. If you've been taught that you -need- to be in a specific religion (and denomination) to get to heaven, you are being emotionally manipulated by your church's leadership. For many, it's all about keeping butts in the pews, and if they have to use threats, even veiled threats, they won't hesitate to do so.

You've already figured out a lot of religion's nonsense yourself or you wouldn't have written what you did. It really -doesn't- make any sense. Hopefully you'll realize that wasting your life by trying to appease angry gods is not the way to go. IF there is a God and IF there is an afterlife, I believe we will all end up there, because whether we are good or evil, whether we worship or we don't, we are all playing our particular parts.

I do not believe for one nanosecond that a truly good and just god would send people to an eternal torment simply for being what they were -supposed- to be.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Religion is VERY personal. No one can tell you what to believe. You either believe it or you don't. I can tell you about my religion but it is just that MINE. I can't tell you that you HAVE to believe it. Nor, do I want you to tell me what I HAVE to believe. This is why I don't like organized religions. They tell you what to believe and if you don't believe what they want you to believe, then you are a sinner, you are going to Hell, etc. etc. My religion has a creed that I try to live by, An it harm none do what ye will. (Wiccan Rede). So, if you want to worship God, The Goddess, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Zeus, Satan, the Spaghetti Monster, any other deity-or none that is your right & your choice. But, do not harm others and do not insist that others must believe as you do. Unfortunately, there are too many of those in this country-and in this world. They seem to think that theirs is the only & true religion and therefore, it is their duty to push their religion on all. And those are the ones who give religions a bad name.

Cat

Old 07-17-2014, 04:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:

1. Why not ask questions?
2. I've met many atheists that chose to not have children young or even at all... people seem to make up their own minds and make their own mistakes, regardless of religion.
3. The wrong is wrong, and it's best to skillfully speak out and work against the wrong.
4. Logic has proven a very useful tool, but religion appears to be a useful tool too.
5. Guilt and Fear aren't very good reasons to let wrongs continue to exist. A lot of religions try to guilt-trip and scare you into being a part of their faction, but you just need a shield of true understanding to protect against such underhanded tactics.
Sinning? What contract did you sign, and why?
Afterlife? Which possible one? Lots of people from contradicting religions claim they came back from death or NDEs and got evidence of their religion or the religions that they were exposed to and had been thinking about.
Torment? How vile. Why not just stand up to the bully or the heartless beast?

I think a good way to get over your fears is to meet them head on... understand the cause of the guilt and fear and learn why they are or aren't legitimate. Then you can use hope and faith to strengthen your personal happiness and views, regardless of whether they match with your parents' religious traditions.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 PM

446 posts, read 484,851 times
Quote:

Believing in God comes with a responsibility -

Don't give up on faith - look into other venues, read other scripture and see if anyone of them make more sense to you.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
OP BubbyBobble, while i'm much older than you, I'm EXACTLY where you are mentally, when it comes to organized religion.

Both my parents were church officials, so I've been 'born and raised' in the church, by devout worshippers in a Christian denomination. I stressed out about my current 'doubts' and started a thread as well, and comments on the atheist/agnostic board helped immensely. So much so that right now I'm just not going to worry about it. This limbo is fine with me -- for now.

I also especially struggled with can you believe SOME of it, and not all. Given that my parents were clergy, clearly they were 'all in.' But, for example:
-- Can you believe Jesus is a miracle-working God as man -- but wasn't born of a virgin, or the resurrection.
-- Can you believe the Jesus of the Bible -- but NOT all the other stories in that very same book, "the word of God."
-- What does Jesus being the 'son' of God mean..... and him saying "I and the father are one?...If you've seen me you've seen the father"
-- Was Jesus perfect? Why did he curse the fig tree? The various interpretations I've read about that make me go, umn.

I also say I might 'go back' to believing it all. I've doubted before and 'gone back. And that could happen again.

I've always been interested in 'religion' as a social construct. I studied it in college. I find the more I read about 'Biblical history" and whether that corroborates or conflicts with 'natural history' the more I question the Bible's version of things.

Also, studying Christianity itself is leading to some questions....for example if you look at what JESUS said -- and what PAUL said. Jesus was Jewish and (basically) said he didn't come to start a new religion. PAUL is the one who -- in my mind based on where I am right now -- started and added a whole lot of things that JESUS didn't say. IF JESUS is the one we're supposed to follow, emulate and believe is God -- I'm concentrating more on what he says, than Paul.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I want to have 'faith' in something that 'makes no sense' and really is quite UNbelieveable. I don't know yet. We'll see.

Best of luck with your journey....and 'be blessed.' (Isn't that wish ironic)

Last edited by rdflk; 07-17-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,124 times
I can certainly understand and relate to your concern. Unfortunately "religion" tends to get in the way of what God is really trying to accomplish. I have learned that God simply seeks a relationship with us, knowing we are far from perfect. There is nothing to live up to. The key is to be aware of His presence and power, use it for Good, and know that He loves you unconditionally, no matter how confused or imperfect you may be. When you focus on this love of God, you love yourself, and others, then that's when you will experience His loving power and blessings

Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out if I want to have 'faith' in something that 'makes no sense' and really is quite UNbelieveable. I don't know yet. We'll see.

Best of luck with your journey....and 'be blessed.' (Isn't that wish ironic)
Why would you want to believe in anything based on faith? As I questioned in another thread, I would suspect that you avoid using faith when making large purchases or making other important decisions, so why you faith when making decisions about "eternity"?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
It is hard at first to 100% trust logic because fundamentalist religion is so anti-logic and anti-intellectual (or has greatly perverted definitions for those things). Blind trust in dogma is encouraged, skepticism and logic (lean not on your own understanding) are seen as flawed and pathetic at best, wicked and prideful at worst.

I can only tell you that over the twenty years since I began my journey out of faith, it is the boasts of theism that have failed me (he that trusts in the lord shall not be ashamed) and it's the predictions and claims of simple logic that have always been trustworthy (if not always comforting).

Literalist / fundamentalist religion avoids logic and intellectual inquiry and skepticism like the plague. Even liberal religion avoids the objective in favor of the subjective. Once you are out of that reality distortion field for awhile you do get over it. Give yourself time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality