Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:13 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . I suspect that the energy comprising those aspects of ME that don't make the grade is somehow recycled in the galaxy (lake of fire). Just guessing, tho.

WARNING! Analogy coming up!
This, as far as I'm concerned, creates a huge gap in your theory.
It reminds me of cherry picking the Bible, being absolutely adamant that you are correct, spending great lengths of time defending your ideas and handily setting aside everything that doesn't 'resonate'.

You're trying to sell an half empty pie crust and expecting that by expounding at great length on how flour is processed and apples are grown, we won't notice that there are only two blueberries under the crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
That you do not see ANY relation of the article concepts to my views leaves little room for progress.
Not true. You could talk about the content of the paper and how they logically relate to the claims you are making. That's assuming there are any, of course. Right now it just seems that you threw a paper out there that mentions the word field and made the jump to it being evidence for / an analogy for the idea of a universal dark energy powered god field who sent Jesus to us. There's a bit of a gap there, to say the least.

This is pretty typical, though. You mention some sciencey-sounding buzzwords, find a paper which uses some of those words in a much different context, and pretend everyone else is dumb for not making the huge leap to a conclusion you are. Take some time and consider why this approach might not be the most useful in convincing others that there's anything more than semantic game-playing here.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
OP, I don't think you know what atheism is.

Atheists don't believe in deities-- it has nothing to do with denying that there is more to the universe than what can be observed/is scientific.

Buddhism is sometimes considered atheistic.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Touche'! It is clearly the case that we do NOT really understand it in all its ramifications . . . yet. It is particularly difficult to communicate when there is no predisposition to work with me on "sussing it out" as my old friend and adversary, Arq would say. The clear agenda seems to be to dismiss on any possible grounds. Abstractions, concepts and illusions are all cognitive residents matter-of-factly accepted in an unmeasurable milieu (my consciousness field) as a "given in the inner consciousness." But the idea that the repository of these abstractions is itself an abstraction residing in an unmeasurable field making the phenomenon of abstraction possible is hardly obvious or easy to explain.

You are unfair to me, old chum I have been extensively willing to 'work through it' with you. What I have not been willing to do is accept on trust your assurances that your claims are reliable fact - and indeed it had become increasingly clear that they are anything but.

You may not recall, but I do, the long struggle with your claim that the Hard Question pretty much proved dualism and debunked monism, the basis of materialistic naturalism, the default of which invalidated the God a priori which is the starting place for your logical position and, therefore renders it a logically invalid faith -based position, and the atheist position the logical one.

The long struggle by Gaylenwoof to help me to understand the matter was rewarded in the end, though you did nothing whatever to 'work through it' with me, but preferred to take sideswipes at my ignorance.

I am less ignorant now and I know that the hard question is really quite simple, and it does no more to unseat monism and the materialist default than your speculations about fields unseat the equally valid and more logically parsimonious explanation that our minds are produced by our brains and only by our brains.

I shall, of course, having sussed you and the merits of your theory pretty well, be willing to 'work through' the matter with any newcomers, so as to ensure that they are not led around by the nose for months the way I was.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:38 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Sorry old_cold . . . my computer was in the shop for a couple of days so I have a lot of reading to catch up on and am responding in different threads. I will be honest . . . I still don't know . . . but I suspect it is some sort of recycling of the energy that comprises them. It is possible the ubiquitous reincarnation ideas in the "spiritual fossil record" are motivated by some intuitive understanding of such a process. Nothing in reality is ever wasted. It is ALL just transformed in various ways. This is why the TWO types of unmeasurable field phenomena was a bit worrisome. I think of the ME that I have been at various times in my life and ask myself would that ME pass muster. Sadly probably not. Since I am an accumulation of such "ME"'s throughout my life and not a single ME . . . I suspect that the energy comprising those aspects of ME that don't make the grade is somehow recycled in the galaxy (lake of fire). Just guessing, tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
WARNING! Analogy coming up!
This, as far as I'm concerned, creates a huge gap in your theory.
It reminds me of cherry picking the Bible, being absolutely adamant that you are correct, spending great lengths of time defending your ideas and handily setting aside everything that doesn't 'resonate'.
You're trying to sell an half empty pie crust and expecting that by expounding at great length on how flour is processed and apples are grown, we won't notice that there are only two blueberries under the crust.
I was just trying to answer your question, old_cold. I admit that I do not know the specifics of anything that happens after we die and are "born again" as Spirit. It is like expecting an embryo infant in the womb to know what this life will be like. I am convinced it is a birth . . . and like all births it will begin another set of life experiences and growth in the spirit realm.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I was just trying to answer your question, old_cold. I admit that I do not know the specifics of anything that happens after we die and are "born again" as Spirit. It is like expecting an embryo infant in the womb to know what this life will be like. I am convinced it is a birth . . . and like all births it will begin another set of life experiences and growth in the spirit realm.

Is this a Mystic imposter?
What happened to "I know...I have no doubt.....It is backed up scientifically" ?
I don't believe, BTW, that I said anything about after death necessarily. This was all in reference to your god connected cosmic consciousness which I would assume takes place constantly
Anyway, maybe talk to you again in another couple of years

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
What happened to "I know...I have no doubt.....It is backed up scientifically" ?
I don't believe, BTW, that I said anything about after death necessarily. This was all in reference to your god connected cosmic consciousness which I would assume takes place constantly
Another flip flop on his part. It is a pattern.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Misunderstanding of my views. What I know is that God exists. What science has enabled me to do is extrapolate plausible hypotheses about how it all works. Unfortunately my certainty about God has colored my other beliefs and plausible hypotheses. I see what you were actually asking and for that I do have a different answer. Everything that occurs while we are connected to this physical body (Womb) is within the unified field (God's consciousness) by not yet merged with it. Only Christ is connected to both God's consciousness and the collective human consciousness. It is upon our deaths and rebirth as Spirit that things change. I am pleased you stopped by to talk, old_cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Another flip flop on his part. It is a pattern.
::Sigh::

Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Misunderstanding of my views. What I know is that God exists. What science has enabled me to do is extrapolate plausible hypotheses about how it all works. Unfortunately my certainty about God has colored my other beliefs and plausible hypotheses. I see what you were actually asking and for that I do have a different answer. Everything that occurs while we are connected to this physical body (Womb) is within the unified field (God's consciousness) by not yet merged with it. Only Christ is connected to both God's consciousness and the collective human consciousness. It is upon our deaths and rebirth as Spirit that things change. I am pleased you stopped by to talk, old_cold.
Oh now,, that sucks me in one more time!
Let me get this straight.
All those.......again, in simple language.......all that brain output which consists of electrical impulses that cannot simply dissipate goes into a holding pattern.....knock, knock, knocking on god's door ???
God's consciousness is there waiting to welcome it in but keeps the door shut until you're dead???

And now you have also gone one gigantic religious step forward ( and a Christian one at that)in suggesting that Jesus is necessary as a go-between?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh now,, that sucks me in one more time!
Success!
Quote:
Let me get this straight.
All those.......again, in simple language.......all that brain output which consists of electrical impulses that cannot simply dissipate goes into a holding pattern.....knock, knock, knocking on god's door ???
God's consciousness is there waiting to welcome it in but keeps the door shut until you're dead???
And now you have also gone one gigantic religious step forward ( and a Christian one at that)in suggesting that Jesus is necessary as a go-between?
Not exactly . . . but Christ's human consciousness IS the only connection to God's consciousness at this time. Are you familiar with Venn diagrams? God is the big circle encompassing everything in reality split in two sections that represent both His Spirit (consciousness) and everything else that exists. Human consciousness is a small circle completely in the "everything else" side . . . vibrating in the wrong end of the spectrum. Christ is the human consciousness that moved the human circle to overlap with both God's consciousness and human consciousness . . . permanently linking us. The closer we resonate with Christ's agape love . . . the closer we are to God. The less we resonate the closer we are to "everything else." I do not know what that "everything else" entails but I suspect the "lake of fire" (galaxy?) notion is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality