U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

48,565 posts, read 22,643,281 times

Advertisements

I typically am not paying any attention when their ads are being shown, but a few days ago I heard a phrase which pricked my curiosity.

"Find God's match for you"...says the advertisement.

That is an awfully direct and unambiguous assertion, that by paying your money and going through the process offered by this particular commercial enterprise ( I can find nothing on their website which suggests they are non profit...and obviously the massive tv advertising that they do must cost a great deal of money) you will be united with someone especially chosen, or at least approved by, the Almighty.

I also note that their website attempts to deceive potential patrons by stating "Join for free" or "Enrollment is free." Further checking revealed that the free part references registering only, a fee must be paid before any contacts are provided for patrons.

So, we are talking about a for profit enterprise which appears to be claiming that their system is backed by divine approval and assistance.

How can they get away with this? Why hasn't the FCC forced them to drop the claim that patrons will find a match which comes with the approval of a deity? Clearly the company could not prove that such a dynamic is in operation, so why are they allowed to make this claim?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM

19,943 posts, read 16,252,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I typically am not paying any attention when their ads are being shown, but a few days ago I heard a phrase which pricked my curiosity.

That is an awfully direct and unambiguous assertion, that by paying your money and going through the process offered by this particular commercial enterprise ( I can find nothing on their website which suggests they are non profit...and obviously the massive tv advertising that they do must cost a great deal of money) you will be united with someone especially chosen, or at least approved by, the Almighty.

I also note that their website attempts to deceive potential patrons by stating "Join for free" or "Enrollment is free." Further checking revealed that the free part references registering only, a fee must be paid before any contacts are provided for patrons.

So, we are talking about a for profit enterprise which appears to be claiming that their system is backed by divine approval and assistance.

How can they get away with this? Why hasn't the FCC forced them to drop the claim that patrons will find a match which comes with the approval of a deity? Clearly the company could not prove that such a dynamic is in operation, so why are they allowed to make this claim?
Doesn't any dating site promise to find a match for you?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 PM

10,596 posts, read 11,308,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Doesn't any dating site promise to find a match for you?

but do they all had the approval of your deity? and if they do,which one is right?..

Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM

32,524 posts, read 35,517,729 times
Quote:

How can they get away with this?
Because all they do is tell/invite their customers to do the searching. They don't promise results from God. They aren't stating, "God uses our site!"

Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM

618 posts, read 518,064 times
Hello Grandstander, all.

The problem with a lawsuit (I would think) is you would need to show that:

1. By a propoderence of the evidence, they failed to find a match that god approves of.
2. You were substantially harmed by Christian Mingle due to their claim.

The most harm you could probably prove is the money you payed them. How you would prove point #1, I do not know. I suspect that it cannot be done.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,099,010 times
Scary, can you imagine the Match somebody would get if God(swt) was angry at them?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM

19,943 posts, read 16,252,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
but do they all had the approval of your deity? and if they do,which one is right?..
Anything that happens is because God allows it and approves of it happening.

I will actually agree to a point--I don't appreciate Christianmingle....I see nothing that is particularly "Christian" about them. To the contrary, I've talked to people that used it and they found out it was no different than any other dating site.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM

48,565 posts, read 22,643,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Grandstander, all.

The problem with a lawsuit (I would think) is you would need to show that:

1. By a propoderence of the evidence, they failed to find a match that god approves of.
2. You were substantially harmed by Christian Mingle due to their claim.

The most harm you could probably prove is the money you payed them. How you would prove point #1, I do not know. I suspect that it cannot be done.

Thanks.
I wasn't talking about a lawsuit, rather an intervention by the Federal Communications Commission on the grounds of false advertising. "Find God's Match For You" certainly suggests that a divinely approved match is being offered in return for your money. The site operators are offering a service for which they are in no position to deliver. What evidence do they have that their business enjoys the approval of a god who is apparently willing to work with/for them?

What would be the difference between what XianMingle.com is doing and Kellogs advertising Frosted Flakes as "God's breakfast?"

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM

618 posts, read 518,064 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about a lawsuit, rather an intervention by the Federal Communications Commission on the grounds of false advertising. "Find God's Match For You" certainly suggests that a divinely approved match is being offered in return for your money. The site operators are offering a service for which they are in no position to deliver. What evidence do they have that their business enjoys the approval of a god who is apparently willing to work with/for them?

What would be the difference between what XianMingle.com is doing and Kellogs advertising Frosted Flakes as "God's breakfast?"
Hello Grandstander.

The same problem applies criminally as it does civilly. If a prosecutor is to bring a False Advertising complaint against ChristianMingle, he (the prosecutor) is required to prove that the advertiser has made a "false statement of fact." How does a prosecutor prove that? I don't think a lack of evidence would be sufficient to show a "false statement of fact" even by a preponderance of the evidence, never mind a beyond a reasonable doubt.

Is there some other action the FCC can take beyond lawsuit or criminal charge? I'm not sure that they have additional regulations to deal with this. There may be...but I don't know enough about it to say.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,058,951 times
What I always found a bit twitchy about the the catch-phrase, "Find God's match for you" is how the site claims that God, not you, finds the match.

Wow, really? Is God sitting at my keyboard viewing and reading dozens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of profiles on my behalf? And when he finally finds someone HE thinks is right for me, he (God) talks to the potential husband, pretending to be me, in order to woo, charm, and impress said potential husband until, finally, after weeks or months, announces, "Okay Shirina, here is your arranged marr ... errr *cough* I mean here is your spouse that I've chosen for you. No, no, no need to praise me. Well, actually, yeah, praise me. More ... more ... still not enough ... almost ... a few more "God is greats" .... ahhhh, I am great, aren't I. Okay, you can go meet your future spouse now. Bye and may I bless you!" *poof*

Or ... does the subscriber have to do all the work? Uh huh yeah, I think that's how it -really- works. And after dozens of creeps, bad dates, guys with "Russian" hands and "Roman" fingers, the occasional fundamentalist whackjob, and a host of dull candidates for the Most Boring Person of the Year Award, you -finally- find someone. After that, you have to work at making it, well ... work. It's all you. It's all him. Together you have to adjust your life to include someone else, and ...

Wait a second, what the hell is God doing? Uh, nothing. Oh, right, he's too busy making sure that the Hicksville Bobcats defeat the Bumpkinburg Trojans in the big high school homecoming game.

At any rate, it's just another example of how only good things can be attributed to God as if God has no power to intervene in our world except to punish. Or, perhaps God does toss a miracle our way every now and again, just enough of one to keep us begging at the table like slavering dogs hoping beyond all measure of hope that one of those scraps of meat lands between -our- paws. Rationally, we know and understand that winning the PowerBall Lottery is more likely - and winning it twice - than to be the recipient of a true miracle, one that actually makes a difference.

"Find Gods match for you" - what happened to free will? Or does it get suspended when it is convenient to do so in order for God to receive the credit for YOUR hard work; in order for God to receive the credit for manipulating and micromanaging your "free will" to produce an outcome GOD (not necessarily you) wanted to happen.

But, when it's all said and done, here's an awesome video of God's priorities, both funny and thought-provoking. Oh yeah, and God logs into ChristianMingle.com in this vid, too.

God's Priorites 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality