Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello again Pastor Vizio.

There are gaping holes in our understanding of electrons as well. Nonetheless, the theory is sound overall and makes observably accurate predictions...rather like evolution. Every theory is incomplete; every theory is a work in progress. Again evolution is like any other in this regard, and to disparage it in particular for this is simply unfair.
I'm sorry. I just don't see it that way. I think there are some issues with the theory of evolution that are overlooked because the alternative is to believe in a creator.
Quote:

I do thank you sincerely for that bit of honesty.

I will be very honest with you. I once believed that the creator of all the universe had a special, direct, and loving interest in me particularly. I would very much like to believe that again.
Honestly? I can't argue into believing. If I could, I'd sure try harder. That's something you'll have to resolve.
Quote:
More to the point however, I never in my adult life believed that the world was created in six literal days or that humanity began as two fully-formed and mature individuals.

Thanks.
OK? There are Christians that don't believe in a literal 6 day Creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
...snip...

And there are Christians - in fact most of them - who don't believe in Adam and Eve, who accept evolution as fact and realize that much of the bible is mythical.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But again...at one point a lot of "scientists" thought a lot of things that you and I would laugh at today.
The bottom line here is that science -has- been correct. Has it been wrong? Sure. But to reject a scientific explanation based on this cannard essentially unravels everything we know about everything. Yes, believe it or not, it really does.

Religion has -never- been correct in explaining our natural world. At least not when it declares a supernatural cause. When has science ever had to throw up its hands and say, "We give up. We can't figure it out so the ONLY possible explanation left is that God did it. And not just some non-specific god, but the God of the Christian Bible!

Regardless of how often science has been wrong, it has still been right - and quite often. Look at our world now compared to what it was just 200 years ago. Our Founders, for instance, never could have envisioned all of the technology we use on a daily basis - without even thinking about it. All of that, the entire technological revolution, came about because of how often science has been correct.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:03 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I just don't see it that way. I think there are some issues with the theory of evolution that are overlooked because the alternative is to believe in a creator.

Honestly? I can't argue into believing. If I could, I'd sure try harder. That's something you'll have to resolve.

As has been pointed out to you in several threads before, evolution as a science makes no claim about creation. It has to do with organisms changing gradually over many, many generations. Please acknowledge that evolution has nothing to do with creation so we won't have to bring this issue up again.

Have you had your children inoculated? Did you assume the inoculations would prevent disease? Assuming so, you tacitly acknowledged the use of evolution in the development of the drugs that prevent disease. Please answer the question about your children so we'll know you read this part providing solid scientific proof of the workings of evolution.

Now, just what are those issues you have with evolution that you say are overlooked because the alternative is to believe in a creator? I'm not a biologist or any kind of scientist, but I'll try to look stuff up if it makes sense to spend time on it.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
That's debatable. The numbers are always changing. Since no one was around when it was created, no one really knows. And science today makes a lot of assumptions in observing the evidence.
Just as nobody was around to witness it and then accurately pen the Priestly Account of Genesis 1. Your critique works both ways, I'm afraid, but science has more evidence than an Ancient Near Eastern mythological text that over time took on religious significance for Westerners such as yourself.

The biggest point in favor of science's approximation of the age of the Universe is the phenomenon of how many millions of years it has taken for certain stars' light to reach us. Unless you subscribe to the curious theory that God created the Universe and Earth already old - with fossils already intact ha ha!

I don't know your personal beliefs on the matter, so I may have misspoken above, but the general gist remains the same. What all this has to do with curing leprosy is beyond me. Why, just the other week I cured a friend of leprosy by slaughtering a turtle dove and then smacking him in the face with its corpse while singing Bee Gees songs backwards until the leprosy got so scared it leaped right off of him and ran away to atone for his sins by opening a soup kitchen. ANYONE WANNA CALL ME A LIAR?!!?!?!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
ANYONE WANNA CALL ME A LIAR?!!?!?!
Yeah, me.

Liar.

Because everyone knows you can only cure leperosy by singing Abba songs backwards.

The Bee Gees only works on poxes - like chicken and small pox.

*nods sagely*

Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yeah, me.

Liar.

Because everyone knows you can only cure leperosy by singing Abba songs backwards.

The Bee Gees only works on poxes - like chicken and small pox.

*nods sagely*

Busted! Sigh.....

(That bribe from the Bee Gees to disseminate false information pays the bills, but I lay awake at night thinking of countless lepers having their sense of good music destroyed by exposure to the Bee Gees - all in the hope of good health...)

Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Busted! Sigh.....

(That bribe from the Bee Gees to disseminate false information pays the bills, but I lay awake at night thinking of countless lepers having their sense of good music destroyed by exposure to the Bee Gees - all in the hope of good health...)
It's true that the Bee Gees music, sung backwards, doesn't cure leprosy.
But, it is preventative and I can prove it.
I love the Bee Gees frontwards and that's why I've never gotten leprosy.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I sure hope nobody starts reveling in that song from that time period, "Disco Duck"!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How can I disagree with logic like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality