Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,610,741 times

Advertisements

I hope someone can answer my question. It is simply out of curiosity but it has bugged hubby and I for the past 24 hours. Yesterday we were shopping at Aldi's and there was a mom with her 5 kids shopping. She and her oldest daughter, maybe 8 or so were wearing scarves, almost like a veil but didn't cover their faces. The 2 little girls, about 2 or 3 did not wear them and the 2 little boys looked just like any little boys. I know they were not Mennonites because Mennonites wear head covers more like beanies. Mommy was pregnant again. None of them had olive skin and they were very attractive kids: not that is means anything. I just thought I would throw that in. They happened to be parked next to hubby and me. I noticed the car, an SUV had a message on the window: Sin is a choice, not an option.

Does anyone have a clue what religion or cult they might be part of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,907,884 times
What part of the country? We have a lot of Hutterites here that might fit the description.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,019,034 times
My first thought was that they might be Muslim.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:17 AM

thanks to both of you: we are in NWA. We do have a few Mennonites, but as I mentioned I am sure that is not what they were. Hubby thought Muslim. I am just accustom to think Muslim, dark skin, etc. I never considered there is nothing that says Muslims have to also be from the mid east. any other suggestions? Whatever they are, it certainly surprised us and got our curiosity up.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,314,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks to both of you: we are in NWA. We do have a few Mennonites, but as I mentioned I am sure that is not what they were. Hubby thought Muslim. I am just accustom to think Muslim, dark skin, etc. I never considered there is nothing that says Muslims have to also be from the mid east. any other suggestions? Whatever they are, it certainly surprised us and got our curiosity up.
I doubt they are Mennonites or Amish, as well, given that they drove (they were parked next to you) and were wearing regular clothes. Most members of those religions wear "uniforms" the style of which looks suspiciously like something you'd see in the 1800's.

Were the girls or the adult women wearing anything non-Western other than scarves? A lot of various non-Christian religions have women wearing specific clothes (men are often somehow excused from this restriction and can wear Western clothes without issue). Usually it's the Muslims who have the biggest issue with women and hair. I'm convinced that hair is the worst part of the human anatomy in their eyes - even though the Qu'ran is not all that specific in laying out its modesty rules. If memory serves, the Qu'ran only advises that women use their own judgment as to what to show and what to keep covered.

Even Hindu women can and do wear loose scarves on their heads - but it is highly unlikely that a non-Asian family actually converted to Hinduism. Most likely this family was Islamic since that religion has a significantly higher conversion rate among Westerners than Hinduism or other more exotic religions.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,902,400 times
Interesting question. I Googled the bumper sticker and came up with a Catholic site. I'm wondering Eastern Orthodox?

Babushka!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 AM

28,066 posts, read 29,905,984 times
I would definitely guess Muslim. There are tons of non-middle-eastern Muslims in the world today. I can't imagine that they were Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, despite the bumper sticker.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,919,239 times
If this was on a Sunday, it may have been a family returning from catholic Mass. There are some conservative Catholics who adhere to the old custom of females wearing head coverings

Where is NWA?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would definitely guess Muslim. There are tons of non-middle-eastern Muslims in the world today. I can't imagine that they were Catholic or Eastern Orthodox, despite the bumper sticker.
We do have a lot of Muslims in NWA. My guess is that was what they are, but any other ideas, let me know. I do know the head coverings were nothing like the Roman Catholics wear.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM

19,917 posts, read 13,423,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'd also go with Muslim as most likely, and the bumper sticker, while it would be at home on the bumper of a Christian fundamentalist, is not incompatible with Muslim concepts of sin.

"Muslim" is a rather big tent, with many permutations and degrees of bondage & discipline. My only visit so far to a predominantly Muslim country is Turkey, and there I saw everything from what you describe, to burkas. Many different gradations of dress code. And in a secular democracy like Turkey there were also plenty of people dressing indistinguishably from westerners, even amongst the crowds celebrating Ramadan, which was going on while I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality