Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Then why did you ask a question which you know the answer too? You, as well, as I, know exactly what Hosea said. I don't know why you are pretending that it is not applicable.

Specifically Hosea 13. More specifically Hosea 13:16.

Your god says he will rip out the fetuses out of the wombs of the Samarian women, right?

Do you condone that?
No....the verse does NOT say that he will rip out babies from their wombs. Did you read it? Or are you just being dishonest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No....the verse does NOT say that he will rip out babies from their wombs. Did you read it? Or are you just being dishonest?
You can disagree with me, but don't question my integrity.

Got that, Mr. Preacher??

The verse reads:
13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Now, if you read all of Hosea 13, no other entity other than God causing things are mentioned.

In:
13:4 Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

The prophet reiterates who God is.

Then he goes into the terrorism that god will bestow on Israel.

So you think this atheist is not interpreting Hosea 13:16 correctly? Let's see what a few bible concordances have to say.

From Free Bible Commentary on Hosea in easy English
Hosea now uses another picture (verses 7-8). God will be like an animal. God said earlier that he would ‘send animals against you’ (Leviticus 26:22). There are other places where God uses the same picture. He uses animals as pictures of *judgement (Isaiah 5:29-30; 7:18; 56:9). God will surprise Israel when he attacks her. It will be a strong attack. Assyria will be like these animals. Perhaps Assyria will be ready to attack Israel soon. This attack by animals will hurt her. It will kill people too. Israel has broken the *covenant and God will be very angry.
From Hosea 13 - Matthew Henry’s Commentary - Bible Commentary, which is Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary
The Lord would not repent of his purpose and promise. Yet, in the mean time, Israel would be desolated for her sins. Without fruitfulness in good works, springing from the Holy Spirit, all other fruitfulness will be found as empty as the uncertain riches of the world. The wrath of God will wither its branches, its sprigs shall be dried up, it shall come to nothing. Woes, more terrible than any from the most cruel warfare, shall fall on those who rebel against God. From such miseries, and from sin, the cause of them, may the Lord deliver us.
So, this is your moral god you seek guidance from?

Now you have told us many times that all prophecies come true or have come true. Hosea is portraying one ugly, horrible entity, one who is at least as bad as those ISIS Muslim terrorists who behead innocent journalists.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Got that, Mr. Preacher??

The verse reads:
13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Now, if you read all of Hosea 13, no other entity other than God causing things are mentioned.

In:
13:4 Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

So you think this atheist is not interpreting Hosea 13:16 correctly? Let's see what a few bible concordances have to say.

Hosea now uses another picture (verses 7-8). God will be like an animal. God said earlier that he would ‘send animals against you’ (Leviticus 26:22). There are other places where God uses the same picture. He uses animals as pictures of *judgement (Isaiah 5:29-30; 7:18; 56:9). God will surprise Israel when he attacks her. It will be a strong attack. Assyria will be like these animals. Perhaps Assyria will be ready to attack Israel soon. This attack by animals will hurt her. It will kill people too. Israel has broken the *covenant and God will be very angry.
From Hosea 13 - Matthew Henry’s Commentary - Bible Commentary, which is Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary
The Lord would not repent of his purpose and promise. Yet, in the mean time, Israel would be desolated for her sins. Without fruitfulness in good works, springing from the Holy Spirit, all other fruitfulness will be found as empty as the uncertain riches of the world. The wrath of God will wither its branches, its sprigs shall be dried up, it shall come to nothing. Woes, more terrible than any from the most cruel warfare, shall fall on those who rebel against God. From such miseries, and from sin, the cause of them, may the Lord deliver us.

Now you have told us many times that all prophecies come true or have come true. Hosea is portraying one ugly, horrible entity, one who is at least as bad as those ISIS Muslim terrorists who behead innocent journalists.
Who are the actors of this event? Is God literally stretching a hand down from heaven to do it?

And again......so what? Can you claim your OPINION of morality is any sort of grounds to condemn it? All you can say is that you don't like it.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Quote:
Who are the actors of this event? Is God literally stretching a hand down from heaven to do it?

And again......so what? Can you claim your OPINION of morality is any sort of grounds to condemn it? All you can say is that you don't like it.
Well, Mr. Pastor, tell me how you can disavow what the verse is about (it clearly DOES state that babies will be ripped from wombs), call me dishonest, and then when I present the evidence to you, you to into that question mode you seem to prefer when you CAN'T answer.

Once again, an atheist has to explain the book you think of as holy to you. Once again, an atheist shows you that yes, evil things really are to be done by your god.

Don't. Ever. Call. Me. Dishonest. AGAIN.

You got that?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:

Got that, Mr. Preacher??

The verse reads:

In:

Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
I'm just asking the same question over and over and over again because the respondents don't seem to be capable of understanding that they are not answering it.
Over 150 posts ago, I posted a dictionary definition of "moral" and "morality," along with a link to the source so you can go explore further. Now, you can try a different dictionary, but I doubt that you will find much difference. You have had all the answer there is for several days. Give it up.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
That verse says nothing about sex on demand being a requirement.
What does it mean? And how do you know? Many Christians believe that is exactly what it means. How is it possible that believers who truly want to know and understand God's morality and work hard to learn it do not see it the same way? Why would God establish and absolute morality and make it so that not even his believers know what it is?

Is it possible that your own internal moral beliefs earn the stamp of God through your beliefs and biases and that they aren't part of any absolute at all?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:

Got that, Mr. Preacher??

The verse reads:

In:

If you look at the entire OT as a whole then a different picture is presented of a moral God who cares about His people. God choose to save the race of man through the bloodline of the Hebrews. He gives the Hebrews so much, food, shelter, rich land, protection, yet they constantly rebel and betray his love. The passages in Hosea that you are throwing out here are WARNINGS. An immoral God wouldn't warn his people. He would just crush them like bugs. The Hebrews should bear the blame here. If they would have just stayed on the path of righteous and followed God then such awful things wouldn't have to happen.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Over 150 posts ago, I posted a dictionary definition of "moral" and "morality," along with a link to the source so you can go explore further. Now, you can try a different dictionary, but I doubt that you will find much difference.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Once people refuse to learn from a handy link on the internet you know they're not going to be interested in further research.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Over 150 posts ago, I posted a dictionary definition of "moral" and "morality," along with a link to the source so you can go explore further. Now, you can try a different dictionary, but I doubt that you will find much difference. You have had all the answer there is for several days. Give it up.
But no one has yet to explain to me why we should accept that definition of morality as authoritative. Why should that be what we consider morality? Why is it grounds to judge anyone? I've been asking that question this whole time and have yet to see you, or ANYONE give me a coherent answer to that. You can walk away if you want. I understand....you have no answer to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality