Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

The analogy was not missed. The analogy failed. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 AM

348 posts, read 294,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Proof ?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Morality is Objective.
Then prove this to be so, because aside from dodging my last post, your only tactic so far to evidence this claim is to repeat it often. And repetition does not make an argument.

Quote:
Morality does remain constant.
No, it changes with a changing society, changing knowledge and changing arguments. It changes with the maturing of our species. It changes from context to context. Your imagination is simply running away with you here.

Quote:
In order to get you to change your perception, I need only to present a slickly produced infomercial and convince you that you derive some personal benefit.
YOUR morality might be so labile as to be influenced by tacks commercials. Mine however requires adequate arguments, evidence, data and reasoning to change my moral opinion.

Quote:
Society is a construct of humanity, just like gods.
Exactly. But it is not solely so. We are evolved to be a social species. While society as we know it is a human construct, it existed in some form ever since we evolved into a social species. Modern society on a global scale however is something we never evolved for genetically as the pace of cultural evolution is faster than genetic.

And all "morality" is, is our human subjective attempts to find the best way to make that grand human relationship (society) work.

Quote:
At the end of the day, Morality can be reduced to Binary Code: 0s and 1s. Something is either 0 or it is 1.
Thankfully now, as morality is highly subjective but also HIGHLY contextual. One might try, for example, to make up a binary blinkered view that "Lying is always wrong". But one needs only to apply a modicum of imagination to envision situations where Lying would be the CORRECT thing to do.

Quote:
Society has no authority to say anything.
On the contrary, given it is all of the people in society coming together and deciding how best to live together and what rules (morality) to live by to ensure that.... it really is ONLY those people in society who have the right and authority to have that discourse. If not them, then who exactly are you placing in this position?

Quote:
The Society-god you worship is no different than Yahweh-god.
Society exists. That from the OUTSET makes it different. It also _matters_ which also makes it different. Simply calling it a "god" in order to disparage it, does not add anything to the conversation. You are just using the "god" label to rile and bait for a response.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronius View Post
Proof ?
I already explained the failure to you. Twice. In one case you were referring to something that actually was subjective. In another case you were referring to something that relies on mathematical axiom and is not subjective in any way.

Perhaps attempt to restate your point without the analogy and we can see what it actually is you are trying to say.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I already explained the failure to you. Twice. In one case you were referring to something that actually was subjective. In another case you were referring to something that relies on mathematical axiom and is not subjective in any way.

Perhaps attempt to restate your point without the analogy and we can see what it actually is you are trying to say.

Well, maybe there is enough for now.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:10 AM

So you can not restate your point in an understandable fashion?

Fair enough, can someone else explain to me what they think the point is? Anyone?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
So you can not restate your point in an understandable fashion?

Fair enough, can someone else explain to me what they think the point is? Anyone?
what about your rule, do your own homework

terms

Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 AM

I do my homework to substantiate my own positions. I do not do any homework to substantiate or make the positions of others. If you can not defend or explain your own positions on a matter, it is not for me to do it for you.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 AM

I answered that already, post #1584.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality