Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:21 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times

Advertisements

I have been around a couple of relatives that were in a state of total distortion of perception prior to their death. I've always thought that nature was at it's kindest for them because they were taken away from the harsh reality of what was happening to them and instead transported to La-La Land. Nothing they said made much sense.

It's kind of like when an old computer takes a memory hit, and all you get are these random characters on your screen. The same thing happens with the brain when it takes a hit and can no longer organize thoughts clearly.

For some friends and relatives, probably out of compassion, they will believe and say that "spirits from another place are talking to them." Many people find reality to be too cruel to face head-on under the circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Maybe that's what the silver chord is fastened to. Either way, if I have an OBE, I'm going to opt to re-enter through my arse.
Just don't stop at your head because then we'll have to say, "Age has got his head up his arse."

Old 08-21-2014, 01:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
I believe when people are about to pass away they do get visits from loved ones/spirits who are waiting to help them make the journey to the other side. Hospice nurses will tell you this happens very often. I do not believe for a second that they are hallucinating.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
My grandmother was a strong Christian who always believed to the end. So when she died, just before she died, she was talking about what she was seeing. And she was seeing people standing around with golden crowns on their heads, greeting her...

At first it sounded normal, like it's the way it's supposed to be. That's what Christians hope for. But then I thought: hmm, but if those people in golden crowns are standing around greeting her does that mean that they always stand around in their golden crowns and greet everyone as they come into heaven? (At least 1 Christian probably dies each day...)

That means that this is all those people ever do?

So how to explain this vision? I am assuming that she was just seeing a perception of what she believes heaven should be like. Like a vision created by her brain especially for her. Like some of the near death experiences also: people see what they expected to see at times. And at other times, they see other things.
But think of dreaming. It's all created by our brain and yet we don't think we would have thought of it (some of the things we dream about). So it's created by us and yet not by conscious part of us. So it could be the same with near death experiences.

It could be created by a subconscious part of the person's brain (all the imagery) and the person (like an atheist) meets Jesus because his brain has heard about Jesus throughout his life and has created this imagery even though the atheist didn't really expect to see Jesus when he "died".

Having said that, I do believe that some of these experiences are real and they meet real spirits. However, I believe that they are not perceiving reality. They are perceiving whatever is created for them to perceive. So even though the communications COULD be real, the actual imagery is just something they would understand or expect.

Just my take on things.

Any comments?
When you dream, your spirit leaves the body on a cord through astral projection. When you die, your spirit cuts the cord completely, and you enter the same world your dream of. That's why dreams of the the afterlife are so different from person to person, from religion to religion.

Some stuff doesn't make sense, because these are perceptions unique to them. I don't believe it's a brain fart. I for instance would probably call out my friend's name. Which because her name isn't a common one, and it might be 50 years later, might come across like "Rosebud" in Citizen Kane.

For that matter, I have a different perception of what hallucination is than most of you guys. I don't think it's a misfire of the brain, but simply an oddity where the brain gives a waking dream while other things are going on.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I believe when people are about to pass away they do get visits from loved ones/spirits who are waiting to help them make the journey to the other side. Hospice nurses will tell you this happens very often. I do not believe for a second that they are hallucinating.
My experience being around the hospice nurses we had is that they provided excellent nursing care for the dying and went about their job in a professional manner. We also had a lot of time to sit and chat about all sorts of things, and like anyone else, they also had their opinions about things.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
You may want to read through all of this article. Mystery of Death Solved: DMT is the Key

It totally explains it, and relates to your thoughts.

This ^

At the time of death your body releases large amounts of DMT which can cause you to see and feel things that you wouldnt see under normal circumstances. This is the same thing that happens during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. Have you ever had wild vivid dreams that you cant explain? That's the result of increased levels of DMT in your body during deep heavy sleep.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
This ^

At the time of death your body releases large amounts of DMT which can cause you to see and feel things that you wouldnt see under normal circumstances. This is the same thing that happens during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. Have you ever had wild vivid dreams that you cant explain? That's the result of increased levels of DMT in your body during deep heavy sleep.
I have had undeniable dreams of future events. They were not fantastical visions, they were very accurate previews of future events. Why is it so unlikely that visions of the afterlife are accurate?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Sure, it's a tough job to stand around all day with a heavy gold crown on your head, but if you complain your god might send you somewhere else.
Believers are told that we will receive a crown but there is no reason to think it will be heavy and uncomfortable. It may be weightless. Given the countless numbers of saints (believers) that have existed since the beginning, and an eternity of time, why would it be a burden for a few of them to honor new arrivees?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:54 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have had undeniable dreams of future events. They were not fantastical visions, they were very accurate previews of future events. Why is it so unlikely that visions of the afterlife are accurate?
Anything is possible but the release of dmt at during REM sleep and right before death has been scientifically proven.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

We humans want to desperately believe that we are somehow special, above and beyond everything else in existence, and that we can also beat death. It is very difficult for many of us to come to terms with the fact that all creatures live and then they die, and others are born and take their place, and that is it. That is the cycle of life and death. This is where religion comes in to sell us on the beautiful fantasy that we can beat death and go on forever and ever in another place out there somewhere. You know the rest. And so many of us live out our lives in this beautiful delusion.

If you are a believer, why do you think you are more wonderful and better than all other creatures on Earth and have been given this remarkable ability for eternal survival that nothing else in life has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality