Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Consider this Barna Group study:

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/f...s#.U_qu8PldU_g

The 10 statements used to assess self-righteousness (like the Pharisees), included the following research items:

Self-Righteous Actions:
  • I tell others the most important thing in my life is following God’s rules.
  • I don’t talk about my sins or struggles. That’s between me and God.
  • I try to avoid spending time with people who are openly gay or lesbian.
  • I like to point out those who do not have the right theology or doctrine.
  • I prefer to serve people who attend my church rather than those outside the church.

Self-Righteous Attitudes:
  • I find it hard to be friends with people who seem to constantly do the wrong things.
  • It’s not my responsibility to help people who won’t help themselves.
  • I feel grateful to be a Christian when I see other people’s failures and flaws.
  • I believe we should stand against those who are opposed to Christian values.
  • People who follow God’s rules are better than those who do not.

I think many talk the talk, but walk like Pharisees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I certainly agree with the view that far too many Christians - not all, by a long way - but too many - seem to exhibit just the same behaviour criticized by Jesus in talking of the Pharisees.

That said, I have to observe that I am convinced that these criticisms were never voiced by Jesus who was (as a Nazorene and observing Jew) in the Pharisee ambit himself, along with his followers. The arguments and wrangles he is shown having with the Pharisees and Sadducees are one -sided arguments written by the Christian writers and of course are very one -sided and rather unfair.

The Pharisees of Jesus' day were highly respected teachers and, while their numbers were estimated as quite small, were very influential and they are the basis of today's rabbinical Judaism. They were in fact the rabbis of Jesus' time. But they very often had day jobs and just taught in their spare time.

Every time I see the accusation 'acting like a Pharisee' used in a pejorative way, I feel a wrong that needs to be put right. It is a slur and slander thousands of years old just as needing of correction as the 'without morality' slander dumped on the atheists.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Here's my experience, as a member of a large Southern Baptist Church:

Self-Righteous Actions:
  • I tell others the most important thing in my life is Jesus.
  • I talk about my sins or struggles with fellow believers, for support and prayer.
  • I try to avoid spending time with with people who are openly gay or lesbian. *not true
  • I like to point out those who do not have the right theology or doctrine. *guilty, at least here on CD
  • I prefer to serve people who attend my church rather than those outside the church. *not true
Self-Righteous Attitudes:
  • I find it hard to be friends with people who seem to constantly do the wrong things. *not true
  • It’s not my responsibility to help people who won’t help themselves. Being an enabler is not good, either.
  • I feel grateful to be a Christian when I see Jesus.
  • I believe we should stand against evil.
  • People who follow Christ have a bright future.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:08 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
The Pharisees believed not only in the authority of written law, but in the authority of the oral tradition as well. I'm pretty sure that fundamentalist Christians believe only in the written word. I'm having a difficult time imagining what oral tradition there might be for Christians to believe.

Add that Jesus Himself was something of a Pharisee, believing that both the written law and the oral tradition as equally authoritative.

Consider that the gospels speak of Jesus vis a vis "the Pharisees" but really, were there crowds of Pharisees following Him around? More likely there were a regular rotations of 2 or 3 sent from the leaders of various schools, various synagogues, to keep informed on what the new guy was up to. Jesus was certainly smart enough, well educated enough, to recognize the hypocrisy of those who tried to trip Him up or otherwise discredit Him.

Jesus was against pompousness, prideful display of faith, the monatization of faith (I'm betting He would have not been happy with the Papacy, nor with the mega churches with their vast wealth), things like that. He was also a populist, in that His message was for everyone, not just for elites.

In any case, I would say that there is no one to one correspondence between fundamentalists and Pharisees.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
What both Arequipa and Chucikmann seem to be missing is that it is precisely the dependence on the letter of the Law, whether oral tradition (doctrines and dogmas) are included or not that make up the "Pharisaic" attitude and which is addressed in the statement that "the letter kills but the spirit gives life." The whole point is that dependence on a book and letters of Law is exactly counter to the need for far MORE of a commitment to the Way than following rules; it is a requirement for LOVE to guide, and that overriding, vested concern for the well-being of everyone involved in any situation to be THE consideration that determines the proceedure. Yes, indeed, Rabbinic Judaism follows pharisaic tradition, and it is Rabbinic Judaism that misses the message of Jesus.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What both Arequipa and Chucikmann seem to be missing is that it is precisely the dependence on the letter of the Law, whether oral tradition (doctrines and dogmas) are included or not that make up the "Pharisaic" attitude and which is addressed in the statement that "the letter kills but the spirit gives life." The whole point is that dependence on a book and letters of Law is exactly counter to the need for far MORE of a commitment to the Way than following rules; it is a requirement for LOVE to guide, and that overriding, vested concern for the well-being of everyone involved in any situation to be THE consideration that determines the proceedure. Yes, indeed, Rabbinic Judaism follows pharisaic tradition, and it is Rabbinic Judaism that misses the message of Jesus.
Amen!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
I'm probably not qualified to talk on Judaism, but, since I raised the point, here goes. The problem with the gospel argument is that it applies a different way of thinking to the Jewish tradition. Effectively it nullifies it by replacing it with salvation through faith in a divine figure.

The Jewish religion was based on laws supposedly given by God to Moses. The Jewish method aimed at obeying those laws; the dickering about how far one could walk on a sabbath was somewhat academic. You already has enough room to ensure that the law was not broken,

Now, Pauline Christianity simply said all that observance of minutiae was irrelevant and replaced it with a system of behaviour that did away with all that stuff. That does not mean that it was right to do so, because God's laws were given to be kept.

Christianity argues that Jesus came and 'fulfilled' the Law, which effectively means that his message replaced it (apart from those laws that some Christians like and use to justify Sabbath observance and tithing and homophobia - which is what the 'Pharisees' topic is about). But the Jews would say that they do not believe in Jesus and his message, though it contains some good stuff which is fine in addition to observing the laws of God. But it is unjustified in sweeping away the observances of the Mosaic law. That is from the philosophy of Christianity and that Christians follow it and not the mosaic laws does not of itself make it right, and appeal to a divine messiah figure in which Jews do not believe does not make it so.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm probably not qualified to talk on Judaism, but, since I raised the point, here goes. The problem with the gospel argument is that it applies a different way of thinking to the Jewish tradition. Effectively it nullifies it by replacing it with salvation through faith in a divine figure.

The Jewish religion was based on laws supposedly given by God to Moses. The Jewish method aimed at obeying those laws; the dickering about how far one could walk on a sabbath was somewhat academic. You already has enough room to ensure that the law was not broken,

Now, Pauline Christianity simply said all that observance of minutiae was irrelevant and replaced it with a system of behaviour that did away with all that stuff. That does not mean that it was right to do so, because God's laws were given to be kept.

Christianity argues that Jesus came and 'fulfilled' the Law, which effectively means that his message replaced it (apart from those laws that some Christians like and use to justify Sabbath observance and tithing and homophobia - which is what the 'Pharisees' topic is about). But the Jews would say that they do not believe in Jesus and his message, though it contains some good stuff which is fine in addition to observing the laws of God. But it is unjustified in sweeping away the observances of the Mosaic law. That is from the philosophy of Christianity and that Christians follow it and not the mosaic laws does not of itself make it right, and appeal to a divine messiah figure in which Jews do not believe does not make it so.
Aw come on, you know christians don't like bible or religion lessons that don't conform with their preconceived ideas.

Especially if they come from an atheist.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Unfortunately you are quite correct in assessing traditional Christianity as opposed to the message of Jesus, but He never taught anything about any kind of intellectual belief or faith in a divine figure. He taught about a way of life that is based on a vested commitment to concern for others as basis. The point there being that all of the "laws" were intended to address living in community with God and man. but rules simply can't address the real requirement to actually BE committed to such a life. Laws beget lawyers if you see what I mean.

The different way of thinking is about what the believer is committed to, a principle or a set of rules.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:29 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Unfortunately you are quite correct in assessing traditional Christianity as opposed to the message of Jesus, but He never taught anything about any kind of intellectual belief or faith in a divine figure. He taught about a way of life that is based on a vested commitment to concern for others as basis. The point there being that all of the "laws" were intended to address living in community with God and man. but rules simply can't address the real requirement to actually BE committed to such a life. Laws beget lawyers if you see what I mean.

The different way of thinking is about what the believer is committed to, a principle or a set of rules.
Intellectual belief? No. Heartfelt belief, yes. Faith in a divine figure (God), yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality