Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

How would the world be different? Would another religion dominate Europe and spread to the new world? Would Judaism be more prominent? Would Islam have arisen without the bible?

I suspect there would be less blood shed throughout history. But I guess that would depend on what, if any, belief system took root and grew in Christianity's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I suspect there would be multiple religions throughout the world. Perhaps some other religion would have risen up...perhaps Islam.

As for less bloodshed? I think that's naive. Secular atheism has certainly shown that one need not be religious to have ambition to dominate the world.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I suspect there would be less blood shed throughout history. But I guess that would depend on what, if any, belief system took root and grew in Christianity's place.
I believe there would be much, much more bloodshed in history. Those leaders improperly using the banner of Christianity to commit crimes pale in comparison to the unbridled non-morality of non-Christians.

Besides, you can't even say that Christianity itself shed any blood, because it was the individuals, not the code of ethics, that committed the crimes in complete rejection of what they claimed they were following!

So I believe without the Scripture, there would be less Christians and far greater bloodshed and suffering in the world.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Not a whole lot of difference up until the Protestant Reformation. Though the mainline Catholic Churches had their various versions of the Bible, there was not the emphasis on it as authority, instead placing the organization as authority. One might well wonder what would have happened if those authorities had not been corrupt to the point that there were many objections finally culminating in that Reformation and the emphasis on the Bible that accompanied it, so which is to blame for the subsequent problems, that emphasis or the manifest departures to varying degrees of each organization?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I suspect there would be multiple religions throughout the world. Perhaps some other religion would have risen up...perhaps Islam.

As for less bloodshed? I think that's naive. Secular atheism has certainly shown that one need not be religious to have ambition to dominate the world.
You do realize that there are many other religions already in the world without the need of Christianity, don't you?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You do realize that there are many other religions already in the world without the need of Christianity, don't you?
Have I ever suggested otherwise?

Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have I ever suggested otherwise?
In all of your posts boosting Christianity. You attempt to promote that it is the end all of all discussions and the sole reason for human morality.

This has been pointed out to you before yet you continue to ignore it.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
How would the world be different?
Fewer people making money off religion.

Were it to go *poof* today the American economy would take a heck of a hit.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Those leaders improperly using the banner of Christianity to commit crimes pale in comparison to the unbridled non-morality of non-Christians.
Hello JJ_Maxx.

That is quite a claim. Would you do me the favor of clarifying the statement? Are you saying:

A. Immoral atheist leaders historically outnumber immoral Christian leaders.
B. Immoral atheist leaders are even more immoral than immoral Christian leaders.
C. Christians are innately more moral than atheists.
D. Other (please specify).

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
How would the world be different? Would another religion dominate Europe and spread to the new world? Would Judaism be more prominent? Would Islam have arisen without the bible?

I think we would have forums members screaming that we should be worshipping many gods, instead of one. Christians took some of the pagan beliefs, just to get the pagans to join their newly man-made religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality