Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times

Advertisements

Not as in, we don't really die because there is an afterlife. But as in, not really believing in death period. As in, everyone who died, actually was simply faking it because they had lived long enough and become enlightened, so they basically made a big show of dying so those of us who weren't ready would continue to believe they died?

That the point of death is actually to be able to feel empathy, so we can can be enlightened in the first place. I mean, yea, this is a completely crazy theory. But think on this. It's no less crazy than some religious belief sets.

Yep grandpa Joe "got old" through using massive amounts of hair dye and makeup, went into hiding, changed his identity and crawled out of the woodwork 30 years later.

(Award for weirdest topic, here I come! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Having watched several people die, no.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Sure it's possible to believe almost anything, like evolution, global warming, or infinite economic growth, but that doesn't change reality.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
If a person can imagine a concept there will probably be people that will believe it.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
But did you stay by their gravesite to make sure they didn't slip out? Maybe they were really great actors. Also, I'm totally trolling now, because it's like 3am here.

Basically, though, let's play devil's advocate, and compare this theory to afterlife, to try to prove/disprove afterlife. Basic view of afterlife states that you die, are reborn/reincarnated/wander as ghosts/goto another place. As you said, we can watch several people die. But this is not sufficient to prove or disprove what comes after. As in, no matter how many people die in front of us, we can't scientifically verify whether or not they go to an afterlife.

I'm gonna refine on this, largely because I'm bored tonight, and feeling up for an elaborate and funny theory.

Conditional Immortality

Many religions say follow X rules, and you will have eternal life. Let's assume they didn't mean after death. This means basically, yes some people would have immortality, but not everyone. Okay, well, here's the issue. Under today's current government, because retirement is based upon the assumption that the elderly are unable to work, if it were known that some people could defy age and death, the government would keep a closer watch on its citizens, and not let people retire as easily. There was also be destabilization in medicine, culture, and religion. Wait, you follow this religion, and you don't have to die? Everyone joins upm leading to a breakdown in freedom of religion. Medicine would become impossible to maintain, because one assuming these people were eternal but not impervious from death to illness/accident, they would need medical insurance to cover them for 1000+ years. And culture? Well, you'd have a general decrease in the value of life.

Suppose someone was in fact immortal, how would they live? Keeping young and beautiful all their life? No, not even if they were an actor. The only way they could get away with that would be to have an extremely private life, or if you did have a public life, you would need to be an actual master of disguise. You'd probably also need to have a "son/daughter" that periodically introduced themselves to people but was never seen with the older person.

The fact that the general public doesn't appear to think this way means (a) they are all in on the joke, or (b) the large mass of the population dies, leaving only maybe 1/million or less actually being untouched. The fact that they aren't spotted isn't a disproof necessarily, it simply means such people have had time to figure out how to hide.

Also, this. Supposedly there were various historical figures that looked like Keanu Reeves, so someone started a meme than Keanu Reeves is immortal. It's totally true, btw.

More on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAarR4tVEHU

Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Perhaps when morning comes, you can go ask this of your local mortician. Or stop in at the crematorium.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Not as in, we don't really die because there is an afterlife. But as in, not really believing in death period.
Sure. You can believe anything you want. Untold millions of people have believed things that aren't true.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Man, I still don't get why all these immortality projects. I don't want to be immortal. Eternal life is its own hell. There is no conceivable life which, continued forever, with no way to exit, would be anything but hellish.

No movie, no matter how well written, directed, acted, post-produced and distributed, is good enough to be 18 hours long. It may however be stupendous at 90 or 120 or maybe 180 minutes.

Beginnings, middles and ends, people!

Greedy, greedy.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
This sounds like each individual has been reincarnated in to someone their looks closely resemble, a little touch-up somehow and we can look and be analogous to someone famous.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
This sounds like each individual has been reincarnated in to someone their looks closely resemble, a little touch-up somehow and we can look and be analogous to someone famous.
Yep. There are only so many faces in the world, and many of them have striking similarities. I used to have a Doppelgänger who lived near me when I was a resident of the desert southwest, people would swear they had run into me at a gas station and pretended I didn't know them and wouldn't respond to their "hello". But I was out of town on vacation or immersed in a project or hadn't been near that part of town in months.

It's fun to play with these things but I don't think anyone seriously thinks there are actual connections there.

Right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality