Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM

57 posts, read 133,493 times

Advertisements

When I think about spiritual maturity, I remember a famous quote from a brilliant writer and scholar, William Temple.

'It is no good giving me a play like Hamlet or King Lear, and telling me to write a play like that. Shakespeare could do it; I can't. And it is no good showing me a life like the life of Jesus and telling me to live like that. Jesus could do it; I can't. But if the genius of Shakespeare could come and live in me, then I could write plays like that. And if the Spirit of Jesus could come and live in me, then I could live a life like that.'

Like Shana said, when the fruits of the Spirit are found in a person's life, spiritual maturity is evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:16 PM

25 posts, read 50,682 times
Default Spiritual Maturity; Rev 13.6

Reply to: DimSumRaja

Quote: "How do you recognize it? Where do you see it or find it? How do you define it?"

Here is the answer to your question!

"Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven" - Rev 13.6.

This happened in AD 600, and the people are still in the dark.

One of God's names is, "Ecumenical Bishop" (1Pet 2.25).
His tabernacle is New Jerusalem (Rev 21.3).
The "dwellers in heaven" are 144,000 Jews, and Gentiles (Rev 7), since AD 77 (Ten Days - Rev 2.10).

These are the "Three Blasphemies of the Beast."

All churches teach them.

sl33w

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Don't know. I've yet to be spiritually potty trained

Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
i recognize it as a calm passive wisdom. i see it in the expression of the beholder. i define it as enlightenment.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I don't believe in maturity.
Especially spiritual maturity, since there will always be something new to learn. Those desperate to prove to others that they have spiritually matured are often the least matured.
Adulthood is overrated anyway.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
keeping my t shirt on in the presence of women ??(59 years old)

Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I don't believe in maturity.
Especially spiritual maturity, since there will always be something new to learn. Those desperate to prove to others that they have spiritually matured are often the least matured.
Adulthood is overrated anyway.
To be fair, Tricky, maturity doesn't necessarily imply an end of growth.
Maturation can be a lifelong process. And gaining wisdom is fun, even if you don't want to grow up.

Spiritual maturity develops as one's life becomes in tune with one's "spirit". For me (and I've got a lot of maturing to do still) that means identifying and removing from my life the things and ideas that hinder me. As layers of useless information and tasks are stripped away, they are replaced with things that have more meaning to me.

Spiritual maturity takes place whenever a person gets closer to being and doing what makes them truly happy and content.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
Spiritual maturity takes place whenever a person gets closer to being and doing what makes them truly happy and content.
I agree that being true to yourself could be considered spiritual mature, but why should I care about what others think of me if I only try to be me?
I mean how can you say that person A is more spiritually mature than person B when person A and B are totally different?
And why should I feel the need to compare myself to another anywayz?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
I find this topic very interesting and I can see that the majority of you have put a great deal of thought into this and each one of you were right.
To me spiritual maturity, is showing respect for your surroundings, showing respect for those around you and their opinions, whether you agree or disagree, helping those in need, working towards the benefit of all mankind, being truthful, not only to yourself but to your fellow man, being close and having a good relationship with your Creator, doing what you know to be right, be responsible for your actions, and looking after the well-being of your mind and body.
To be at harmony with yourself and your surroundings and everyone that comes within it.
This is what spiritual maturity means to me.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by b. frank I agree that being true to yourself could be considered spiritual mature, but why should I care about what others think of me if I only try to be me?
I mean how can you say that person A is more spiritually mature than person B when person A and B are totally different?
And why should I feel the need to compare myself to another anywayz?
If I may answer this question for you,You don't have to compare yourself to anybody,We each have the capabilities to accomplish this in our own way,this is not a competition,It is whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever you wish to accomplish in your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality