Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by ptsum
Quote:
To be at harmony with yourself and your surroundings and everyone that comes within it.
This is what spiritual maturity means to me.
True, but it is a rare thing to be harmony with yourself and your surroundings at the same time. I mean the environment is ever changing and so is the individual himself.
Most often I can only be at peace with myself, but this does not prohibit the fact that while I am at peace with myself, I can be at a disharmony with my environment (mostly other people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by b. frank I agree that being true to yourself could be considered spiritual mature, but why should I care about what others think of me if I only try to be me?
I mean how can you say that person A is more spiritually mature than person B when person A and B are totally different?
And why should I feel the need to compare myself to another anywayz?
I don't think I read the whole thread, but I don't remember any mention of a comparison or competition among people to be the Most Spiritually Mature.

Part of my perception of spiritual maturity is that other people have no bearing on one's own spiritual maturity. In other words, the only person that one strives to be "better" than is oneself. Person A and B should each focus on their own spiritual maturity.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
I don't think I read the whole thread, but I don't remember any mention of a comparison or competition among people to be the Most Spiritually Mature.
I don't view life as a competition; the problem is that people who see life as a competition have a problem with the way how I live my life.
You can’t compete with someone who doesn't view life as a competition ( since there can only be 1 Tricky D) and somehow that always makes them feel to be the loser which only frustrates them further.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum True, but it is a rare thing to be harmony with yourself and your surroundings at the same time. I mean the environment is ever changing and so is the individual himself.
Most often I can only be at peace with myself, but this does not prohibit the fact that while I am at peace with myself, I can be at a disharmony with my environment (mostly other people).
then you too must learn to change with it,that's what beingin at harmony is, learning to change with your environment,and being at peace with it, to accept it for what it is, our surroundings are always changing and we must learn to change with it,this is a learning process and this is how we grow.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ptsum
Quote:
then you too must learn to change with it,that's what beingin at harmony is, learning to change with your environment,and being at peace with it, to accept it for what it is, our surroundings are always changing and we must learn to change with,this is a learning process and this is how we grow.
If being in balance with my surroundings means losing the freedom of being me, I don't mind not being in balance with my surroundings.
I will not pretend to be someone I am not, or be someone I am not, just to appease my environment.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:33 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum If being in balance with my surroundings means losing the freedom of being me, I don't mind not being in balance with my surroundings.
I will not pretend to be someone I am not, or be someone I am not, just to appease my environment.
If you are happy and at peace with the way you are now,than so be it.
May peace and happiness be with you.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
person a person b and the environment are all one

Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
person a person b and the environment are all one
Even more reason not to bother comparing yourself with the rest.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Even more reason not to bother comparing yourself with the rest.
and when you realize that you will be in harmony

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,213,038 times
in addition to peace and harmony, there is also for me an aspect of acceptance, accepting that people are just where they need to be, doing just what they need to be doing, it is not up to me to fix or change anyone or anything. Also an acceptance of myself.

i don't see spiritual maturity as a competition with anyone else, just a yardstick for me to measure my own growth and progress. the only person I can change is myself, my thoughts, my actions, my beliefs. My incentive for spiritual maturity within me is for one thing not have to keep going through the same crap over and over, this lifetime or future lifetimes, and also that deep sense of peace and joy and happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality