Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:24 PM

419 posts, read 2,015,791 times

Advertisements

I over heard a boy ask our Minister why our world had so many ignorant and stupid people. The Minister seemed shocked but then came back with an interesting answer. God knows that most of what needs to get done in the world is boring, tedious and incredibly dull, and if everyone was as smart as your parents nothing would get done.

Maybe the Minister is right. No matter how hard the smart people try to improve society and make all the not so bright people smart, we continue to produce many people with very low intelligence everyday. Maybe God knows we need people like this to get the unpleasant tasks done. There will always be a need for people who are not so bright who enjoy menial work and God creates a share of all types of people.

Last edited by questioner2; 12-26-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,029,647 times
We inherit our fallen nature---that's the problem. There are geniuses who cannot drive decently in traffic. We are all morons in our own special way.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:32 PM

14,706 posts, read 17,043,100 times
Quote:
I over heard a boy ask our Minister why our world had so many ignorant and stupid people. The Minister seemed shocked but then came back with an interesting answer. God knows that most of what needs to get done in the world is boring, tedious and incredibly dull, and if everyone was as smart as your parents nothing would get done.

Maybe the Minister is right. No matter how hard the smart people try to improve society and make all the dumb people smart, we continue to produce many people with very low intelligence everyday. Maybe God knows we need people like this to get the unpleasant tasks done. There will always be a need for people who are not so bright who enjoy menial work and God creates a share of all types of people.
Hi, I agree that we need all kinds of people but I believe that labeling people as ignorant and stupid just because they may do what others see as menial work or just because they may have a lower IQ based on societal standards is very negative. Maybe the minister could have addressed that. All people have gifts, I believe, regardless of their intelligence and all are loved by God. I think that the problem may be that in the past people have tried to limit the opportunities of people based on their race, economic status, culture ect and efforts are being made to change this. Personally I don't see anything wrong in doing menial labor because it is important too. I once heard a teacher yell at a child and say to the child that they would only end up "pushing a broom" which to me was a very demeaning statement. Yes, people should be given opportunities to better themselves but why look down on people because of the jobs that they do or because of their intelligence. Maybe the minister could have addressed this too. God bless.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:54 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,444,370 times
This is just my own humble opinion, no offense meant for anyone..I think ignorance and stupidity are only seen in the eyes of the bigots of this world..Both words are usually used to insult anyone who does not agree with certain people who think they have all the answers..Personally, I don't use either word when describing someones beliefs..Doing meniel work does not classify someone as ignorant or stupid..And God knows their labor is worth more than all the gold or silver of the rich, educated person who looks down on the less fortunates..

Old 12-26-2007, 01:59 PM

21,949 posts, read 19,070,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This is just my own humble opinion, no offense meant for anyone..I think ignorance and stupidity are only seen in the eyes of the bigots of this world..Both words are usually used to insult anyone who does not agree with certain people who think they have all the answers..Personally, I don't use either word when describing someones beliefs..Doing meniel work does not classify someone as ignorant or stupid..And God knows their labor is worth more than all the gold or silver of the rich, educated person who looks down on the less fortunates..
This is a beautiful post. I have to agree that there is dignity in work, all work, any work.

Also intelligence has nothing to do with the goodness in someone's heart. I was raised that intelligence is the only measure of value in a person, and I found it to be an unworthy measure and guide through life. A much more reliable guide for me these days is someone's kindness, gentleness, acceptance, peace, good heart, honesty. That is what I seek to teach my own children to value as well. Otherwise as this post says, it leads to judgment and snobbery and harsch condescension.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 PM

21,949 posts, read 19,070,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
No matter how hard the smart people try to improve society and make all the not so bright people smart , we continue to produce many people with very low intelligence everyday.
There may also be great damage done in the name of "improving society." The smart people who settled this country tried to "improve society" by killing the heathen Indian nations, and it is only now we are seeing the damage inflicted on not only the ecological balance of this nation, but the horrendous genocide of the indigenous peoples, and the arrogant destruction of a society that was quite healthy, balanced, productive. It is supreme arrogance for any group of people to say what is right for another group of people.

Also who said the goal is to be the "smartest" anyway? I'd rather live among people seeking to be the most kind, the most generous, the most accepting, the most peaceful....

Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM

419 posts, read 2,015,791 times
I suspect that one of the reasons why there is so much ignorance and stupidity in the world is people tend to glamorize others as all being God's creates and believe that everyone is smart and talented in their own way. They call anyone concerned about ignorance a bigot. I believe in a harsher reality and feel that many people on this Earth provide little for society.

Quote:

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM

14,706 posts, read 17,043,100 times
Quote:
Doing meniel work does not classify someone as ignorant or stupid..And God knows their labor is worth more than all the gold or silver of the rich, educated person who looks down on the less fortunates..
This is so true. God bless.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,118,163 times
Quote:
Well stated!

Chesterton said it like this:

"I have always been more inclined to believe the ruck of hard-working people than to believe that special and troublesome literary class to which I belong. I prefer even the fancies and prejudices of the people who see life from the inside to the clearest demonstrations of the people who see life from the outside. I would always trust the old wives' fables against the old maids' facts. As long as wit is mother wit it can be as wild as it pleases." (G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy)

Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,480,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post

Maybe the Minister is right. No matter how hard the smart people try to improve society and make all the not so bright people smart, we continue to produce many people with very low intelligence everyday. Maybe God knows we need people like this to get the unpleasant tasks done. There will always be a need for people who are not so bright who enjoy menial work and God creates a share of all types of people.
Although I realize the OP was not intending to come off as intellectually superior than thou, I find this post flawed in a bizarre kind of way. I am not putting down questioner2, but...

I am considered boring, tedious and an incredibly dull person (by some) and I have menial work type of job (to those with high paying, meaninful, exciting jobs) which I thoroughly enjoy!
I am just thankful the smart people who are trying so hard to smarten me up, have finally realized my contribution to society.

I seriously doubt God values a smart person over a ignorant person. And if our world is the result of "smart people" trying to improve society, then I suggest they go back to the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality