Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

It probably doesn't surprise many of us, but it is horrible that a story like this can even be written. Where is the compassion, or even the forgiveness of these religious parents?

As a parent and a grandparent, I can't imagine disowning my child. Probably most parents have that fleeting thought of "what if my child is gay", but if the answer isn't, "I will support them and love them with all of my heart", what kind of human being are you?

What kind of god do you believe in that would cast that horror on your own child to completely disown and shun them? Rather than doing that to YOUR child, perhaps you need to look at the religion and religious community you belong to that endorses that kind of behavior.

It is a long article, and but the stories told in it are heartbreaking. And makes one angry that such parents exist.

Page 4 of Homeless Gay Teens Cast Out by Religious Families | Rolling Stone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It probably doesn't surprise many of us, but it is horrible that a story like this can even be written. Where is the compassion, or even the forgiveness of these religious parents?

As a parent and a grandparent, I can't imagine disowning my child. Probably most parents have that fleeting thought of "what if my child is gay", but if the answer isn't, "I will support them and love them with all of my heart", what kind of human being are you?

What kind of god do you believe in that would cast that horror on your own child to completely disown and shun them? Rather than doing that to YOUR child, perhaps you need to look at the religion and religious community you belong to that endorses that kind of behavior.

It is a long article, and but the stories told in it are heartbreaking. And makes one angry that such parents exist.

One does have to honestly wonder ... if not for secular law, would these parents have murdered their children instead of just tossing them out?

What's amazing to me, as well ... how many kids are tossed out of the house for fornicating with his girlfriend, getting sloppy drunk, joining a gang, getting arrested, flipping burgers on the Sabbath, and so on?

This kind of thing proves to me that this is bigotry, NOT religious conviction. Pure and simple hatred, nothing less. You have to HATE gays in order to turn your back on your own child. Religion only justifies that hatred. Ignorance and fear causes it.

And then people wonder why many of us think teaching kids about gays in school is absolutely necessary.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

These people use religion to justify their anti-gay animus. They claim to simply be upholding religious principles (and make no mistake about it - the texts upon which their religions are based do indeed establish such principles) but they're just using them to rationalize their own dislikes and hatreds.

They'll blithely disregard one tenet after another of their religion. Stoning for adultery? Prohibitions on usury? Accepting slavery? Jesus speaking against divorce? They'll fall all over themselves as they serve up one reason after another for ignoring or 'properly interpreting' such passages. Homosexuality? "It's in the Bible! You can't question the Bible!".

Is it any wonder why such children have higher suicide rates than straight children?

And, of course, the usual suspects will be the first to claim that one of the reasons they oppose homosexuality is their concern for the poor gay children who kill themselves at disproportionate rates. In fact, their hate and condemnation and ostracization are the drivers of those suicides. And they piously pretend to care...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
This has been happening for a very long time. Decades and decades. The streets of any major city has gay teenagers turnimg tricks to survive because they were thrown out by their families. The johns are often family types on the down low.

During the AIDS crisis in the '80's I knew gay men who were dying of AIDS who were disowned by their very conservative Christian parents. That wasn't uncommon at all. Neither was the belief that AIDS was their punishment from God for being gay. It still disgusts me to think about how some parents chose to treat their sons while they were dying.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
This kind of thing proves to me that this is bigotry, NOT religious conviction. Pure and simple hatred, nothing less. You have to HATE gays in order to turn your back on your own child. Religion only justifies that hatred. Ignorance and fear causes it.

And then people wonder why many of us think teaching kids about gays in school is absolutely necessary.
Religion is used as a way to rationalize their hatred, it doesn't justify it.

The bible indicates women who are not virgins at the time of their marriage should be executed, (Deuteronomy 22:13-21). Isn't it funny how people pick and choose which scripture they'll pay attention to?

Now, this week the pope is marrying people at the Vatican who have lived in sin, and were previously married, and had children, it seems as long as your straight there's no problem.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Jackie in the story was an adult. She was attending college. She made a choice to participate in a lifestyle that she knew her parents would not approve of yet she expected them to continue to cover her expenses? Time for Jackie to get a job. See whoever pays the bills sets the standards and in this case, the parents had an issue with Jackie's lifestyle so they quit paying her bills. Not a big deal. It wasn't like she was in high school, a minor, and they threw her out in the street. It is not about hatred and I know that is the buzz word to try to inspire guilt in those that follow the laws of God. When you start making decisions about your own life, you just have to take personal responsibility for those choices and realize that sometimes choices have consequences that you may not like. So, the pope seemed to think that forgiving people for their previous sins was workable but keep in mind that the requirement is "go and sin no more", big difference. You acknowledge your sin and attempt to sin no more. It isn't rocket science!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Jackie in the story was an adult. She was attending college. She made a choice to participate in a lifestyle that she knew her parents would not approve of yet she expected them to continue to cover her expenses? Time for Jackie to get a job. See whoever pays the bills sets the standards and in this case, the parents had an issue with Jackie's lifestyle so they quit paying her bills. Not a big deal. It wasn't like she was in high school, a minor, and they threw her out in the street. It is not about hatred and I know that is the buzz word to try to inspire guilt in those that follow the laws of God. When you start making decisions about your own life, you just have to take personal responsibility for those choices and realize that sometimes choices have consequences that you may not like. So, the pope seemed to think that forgiving people for their previous sins was workable but keep in mind that the requirement is "go and sin no more", big difference. You acknowledge your sin and attempt to sin no more. It isn't rocket science!
It wasn't that they took away her money - they shunned her. They kicked her out cut her off completely, without any notice. And anyone whose rules are 'You cannot be gay!' is, in addition to being a horrible person, are morons - gay is who Jackie is and always ways (queue up the "It's a choice!" clowns who insist it is a choice only because they know how unconsciounablle it is to condemn people for immutable traits alone). But that is precisely the case here.

Nor is the article simply about that one girl.

But it is very predictable for someone like you to waltz in and try and portray the story as nothing more than one person whose parents decided not to pay her tuition any more - you have to be deceitful because you know how dispicable is the behavior of the people for whom you are making excuses.

You are rationalizing horrible behavior. Your are justifying hate.

Despondent youth kill themselves because of people who think and act and hate like you.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I see Unsettomati pretty well said what I was going to.

How can christians be so cold hearted to deny their own daughter or son? How can anyone have the conscious to shun their own flesh and blood over something that is not a choice? It just boils my blood to see so many actually think that they could turn a persons sexuality into a tragedy. These are someone's children!

Not some rag one throws away.

So yes, it IS a big deal. It is criminal to destroy a person so completely, to remove them from not only your life, but to insist that other family members cut off all connections. What type of harmful and spiteful teaching is this?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I know of "religious parents"/aka to some as Christian parents who have not forsaken or thrown out their family members. I have a feeling a lot of what's posted on here is an inaccurate representation of what is truly going on.

In Christian theology, someone that does not know Christ that is deep in sin can repent by the Grace of God and receive forgiveness.. we are just called to love God and others and proclaim the good news of the gospel ..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Religion is used as a way to rationalize their hatred, it doesn't justify it.

The bible indicates women who are not virgins at the time of their marriage should be executed, (Deuteronomy 22:13-21). Isn't it funny how people pick and choose which scripture they'll pay attention to?

Now, this week the pope is marrying people at the Vatican who have lived in sin, and were previously married, and had children, it seems as long as your straight there's no problem.
Most parents certainly do not hate their kids and most religious folks don't hate anyone.

Whether we agree with them or not, parents and followers who take the Bible literally believe that homosexuality is a sin.

To them, what happens on this earth can prevent a person from attaining an eternity in heaven with God.

THIS IS HUGE, a far greater concern to them than anything else. So they do what they think they have to do to save their kids from an eternity without God.

Yes, it's a bit twisted to some of us, but it would be wrong to say parents do this from a place of hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality