Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

This is merely a curiosity-driven thread, no [conscious] hidden agenda. If you would indulge me for the purpose of the thread, I request you to suspend your disbelief in the possibility of a god, or your belief in any particular god. Now, based purely on your observations of our reality, IF there is an entity or being which is directly responsible for our existence, though not necessarily through volition, what qualities would you think it/he/she/them possess? Does this entity expect anything from us and, if so, what?

Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This is merely a curiosity-driven thread, no [conscious] hidden agenda. If you would indulge me for the purpose of the thread, I request you to suspend your disbelief in the possibility of a god, or your belief in any particular god. Now, based purely on your observations of our reality, IF there is an entity or being which is directly responsible for our existence, though not necessarily through volition, what qualities would you think it/he/she/them possess? Does this entity expect anything from us and, if so, what?

Thanks for playing.
I see no point in expecting any particular attributes from this being, other than that included in this hypothetical (ie, being capable of being 'directly responsible for our existence').

Expectations beyond that are merely projections of an individual's wants. For example: "I cannot believe in a God that isn't pure love, so if God exists he is pure love!". Whatever that means - I just use it as an example because I've heard that one, and I've noticed a tendency of people to insist that there is a correlation between the 'goodness' of God and the likelihood of God existing. But there is no reason that if God or some other form of all-powerful deity existed, that deity couldn't just as well be an unpleasant prick as it could be loving and just.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I see no point in expecting any particular attributes from this being, other than that included in this hypothetical (ie, being capable of being 'directly responsible for our existence').

Expectations beyond that are merely projections of an individual's wants. For example: "I cannot believe in a God that isn't pure love, so if God exists he is pure love!". Whatever that means - I just use it as an example because I've heard that one, and I've noticed a tendency of people to insist that there is a correlation between the 'goodness' of God and the likelihood of God existing. But there is no reason that if God or some other form of all-powerful deity existed, that deity couldn't just as well be an unpleasant prick as it could be loving and just.
Like I said, curiosity about what other people come up with is what's driving my question so I'm asking people to extrapolate based on their observations of our reality. And I'm not necessarily asking about personality traits, but any qualities at all. You may be absolutely right that it would be impossible to draw any conclusions and pondering it isn't worth the time. I'm fine with that answer.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
There is a god wants some things to happen and me to do them the end result is always the same
Life truth and love
God the preserver of man

Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
The one quality that strikes me is an interest in processes much more than results. I think that there is a purpose of people coming to an appreciation of concern for the well-being of everyone as basis for relationship, but it seems clear that our "entity" is much more interested in HOW we come to that perception than in the fact.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:47 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

That's true, but he could not be both at the same time.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Qualities? Attributes, maybe?

This Creator of everything is nothing, if not pure (((feeeeelings))).
And this Being's favorite feeling...? Total, unadulterated pure love...in all it's forms....
puppy love, true romance, maternal unconditional, eternal loyalty, instant forgiveness
...dripping, melting, gooey floodgates-wide-open love...and 'He' is a watcher, feeling every single
feeling of every kind from a perspective we can't even imagine.
This Spirit encompasses everything and is the Ulitimate Paradox...agony is ecstasy, death is life.
I know this because this Ever Present Spirit and I are like 'this'.

(I know how that sounds, but that's the way it 'is'...for years now...remember I meditate for
hours and hours and hours in a sitting....for over 40 years. Anyone can be as close to God as he
wants to be...it just depends on how much time he wants to put into it...fact....leave the books,
the roadmaps behind...take the exit and enjoy.)
Seems I can't get away from rambling about God, when I start.

Nice idea for a thread Pleroo...where did that name come from?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The one quality that strikes me is an interest in processes much more than results. I think that there is a purpose of people coming to an appreciation of concern for the well-being of everyone as basis for relationship, but it seems clear that our "entity" is much more interested in HOW we come to that perception than in the fact.
That makes sense. Thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Qualities? Attributes, maybe?

This Creator of everything is nothing, if not pure (((feeeeelings))).
And this Being's favorite feeling...? Total, unadulterated pure love...in all it's forms....
puppy love, true romance, maternal unconditional, eternal loyalty, instant forgiveness
...dripping, melting, gooey floodgates-wide-open love...and 'He' is a watcher, feeling every single
feeling of every kind from a perspective we can't even imagine.
This Spirit encompasses everything and is the Ulitimate Paradox...agony is ecstasy, death is life.
I know this because this Ever Present Spirit and I are like 'this'.

(I know how that sounds, but that's the way it 'is'...for years now...remember I meditate for
hours and hours and hours in a sitting....for over 40 years. Anyone can be as close to God as he
wants to be...it just depends on how much time he wants to put into it...fact....leave the books,
the roadmaps behind...take the exit and enjoy.)
Seems I can't get away from rambling about God, when I start.

Nice idea for a thread Pleroo...where did that name come from?
Thanks MissH.

You're asking where Pleroo came from? So, I'm a nerd... Back when I was a Christian and into ridiculous amounts of bible study, I was studying the book of Ephesians and noticed that various forms of the Greek word, pleroo, meaning "to fill to the full", can found in key passages in that book. I particularly fell in love with...

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

I had used "Pleroo" as a username on another Christian forum for several years and when I joined here at City-Data, I was still a Christian so stuck with the name. I still think this prayer is one of the most noble aspirations for people, whether they believe in God or not -- to be filled with the fullness of love that surpasses knowledge -- so I'm content to keep the name, agnosticism be dam*ed.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
There is a god wants some things to happen and me to do them the end result is always the same
Life truth and love
God the preserver of man

May I ask what it is you have observed that has led you to these conclusions?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Pleroo, you Greek geek , you.
I love it.
I know tbose verses well...just not that version.
The first Bible I ever bought in '06 was a RSV, revised standard...for those
not used to Bible lingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality