Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There is no escaping God's presents .
David wrote of this,
and after I had invited Jesus into my life that realization came to me as well.
He does not invade ,if any thing we are the invaders to His domain. OMNIPRESENT.
He knows the thoughts and intents of our thinking ,not only knowing the how we are made but our motivations.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit so one can know and commune with God the way
He intended from the beginning.
I am very happy for you...I have read your posts before.
If Jesus did that for you, congratulations.
Bec I follow no religion...I didn't place this in 'Christianity'.

And btw, Psalm 139, where David expresses his realization that there
is no escape from the Lord...is what first opened me to look
into this 'Bible'...it was placed on a funeral handout ...on my fridge for a long time.

Hope you have a wonderful day, Fall is so beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There is no escaping God's presents .
David wrote of this,
and after I had invited Jesus into my life that realization came to me as well.
He does not invade ,if any thing we are the invaders to His domain. OMNIPRESENT.
He knows the thoughts and intents of our thinking ,not only knowing the how we are made but our motivations.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit so one can know and commune with God the way He intended from the beginning.
No offence, but that borders on creepy. That would mean your god also knows the thoughts and motivations of deranged killers, yet he lets them kill good people. What use does your god serve? If there were a security guard who knew of the atrocities taking place on his watch, yet did nothing, he would lose his job.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
above I Just wanted to share a drawing that I thought you might like. Artist to artist.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:13 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Miss H, I'm afraid the piano sounds are created by you playing the piano. Give credit where it is due. I'm sure you play lovely melodies, composed by lovely people. And no less beautiful for that. I'm sure that any god worth his salt would not want to be introduced into that lovely picture as an unnecessary entity. He would say, "you made that, good for you (and Chopin)".
What purpose does art and music serve in your world of evolution? It has zero impact in the survival of a species. Why did evolution give the ability to sing and create harmonies? Even more puzzling, why did evolution only give certain people this ability? Even if you bring up the comparison of dolphins or whales singing, it doesn't make sense because their entire species has the ability to make songs which is really only a form of communication. No other animal species creates music and art like we do.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I play the piano and I am made aware that all the sounds are within 'Him".
They were created by "Him".
The air that they vibrate in ...it's all 'Him".
Him, Him, Him....He is under my feet, under my thumb on the gate latch...
I am in love with my Creator, Father, God.
Sigh ...how do you notice or love God or feel His Divine Presence?

He fills me like a warm Cognac on a Winter night...
I actually have to stop typing...to give you a chance.

xxoo
1. Gotta know (it's VERY important). What the brand of cognac?

2. I second Shirina's sentiments. The board would be a little less without you.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What purpose does art and music serve in your world of evolution?
I am not sure how many times you need this explained to you before it sinks in. But the concept of "purpose" has no place with evolution. Art and Music serve the same "purpose" as anything else: None. There is no evidence at all, much less so from you, upon which to assume a "purpose" to anything in this universe. Let alone an entity.... which you call god.... that has the intentions required for there to BE a "purpose".

However does that mean we can not give you an evolutionary EXPLANATION for art and music? Hell no, it does not. There are many. To start you off however think of why Coca Cola is so popular as an analogy.

It is popular because we evolved to be able to detect, and be attracted to, sweetness in foods. This attracts us to foods like fruit which are "good" for us. What Coca Cola does is HYPER stimulate those senses and send them into pleasure over load.

What Art and Music do, similarly, is hyper stimulate one or more aspects of our human condition. And we love it and are attracted to it for that reason.

Quote:
It has zero impact in the survival of a species. Why did evolution give the ability to sing and create harmonies?
It is an ongoing error you insist on making, despite being corrected on it multiple times, that something has to have an "impact" on the survival of a species for it to be selected for and go along for the evolutionary ride.

If you divest yourself of this lay error to the field of evolution you will in fact find many of your errors on the subject will dissolve away as a result.

Firstly many traits can be value NEUTRAL and hence will not be selected against and will continue along the evolutionary ride.

Secondly many traits are BY PRODUCT traits. That is we do not evolve to have trait X, but because we evolved traits Y and Z, we have a resulting emergent trait X. Our ability to catch the common cold is one very good example of this. We did not evolve to catch disease. We evolved to do other things which left us susceptible to disease.

Again Art and Music lie in this realm. It is not that we evolved for music and art, but that we evolved for other things which left us susceptible to art and music.

If you actually do want to learn more about this, which I doubt but one can hope, and you have an hour to spare I can not recommend the talk "Aesthetic Universals and the Neurology of Hindu Art - Vilayanur S. Ramachandran" on you tube strongly enough. Or his talk "Art, Reality, and the Brain: The Quest for Aesthetic Universals - Dr. V.S. Ramachandran". Or the slightly more accessible "40/40 Vision Lecture: Neurology and the Passion for Art"

Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
What purpose does art and music serve in your world of evolution? It has zero impact in the survival of a species. Why did evolution give the ability to sing and create harmonies? Even more puzzling, why did evolution only give certain people this ability? Even if you bring up the comparison of dolphins or whales singing, it doesn't make sense because their entire species has the ability to make songs which is really only a form of communication. No other animal species creates music and art like we do.
How does art and music fit in with believing in a God?

Oh wait, let me guess ... it's because God wants humanity singing his praises for eternity, right?

Talk about creepy.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
1. Gotta know (it's VERY important). What the brand of cognac?

2. I second Shirina's sentiments. The board would be a little less without you.
OMG, are you the sweetest thing or WHAT!!

How do you spell Corviousier?
Corvosier, Courvosier...not just any VSOP.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Nozz elaborated sufficiently. It serves no purpose at all, and I know of no one who claims that it does. It is a secondary and emergent property of other things. And if you are puzzled about why some people are more musically talented or inclined than others, you need more help than I can give you on the topic.

If something is compelling to humans AND unique to humans it means ... wait for it ... that it is compelling and unique to humans. If we are self aware enough to recognize that we strongly tend to have confirmation bias about things we find compelling and unique about ourselves, then we will not fall into the error of assuming, for instance, "therefore god". And especially we will not assume "therefore the idea of a particular personal god that I am invested in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality