Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Not every church has an official "membership." If you're there, you're part of the congregation. If not, you're not. Obviously there are the regulars, the once-in-awhile crowd, and special occasion folks. But in churches I've been to, there is no membership.
I recognize that. To be honest, our church board is kicking around the idea of dropping a formal membership. I personally think it's a good thing to have, but I've heard pastors state it's not Biblical. But, that's probably a conversation to have on another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 04:38 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
UU congregations are mostly not called churches today, except in New England. They started off as a bearkaway from Congregationalist Churches over the doctrine of the Trinity.

Today, many UUs are intermarried Christian and Jewish Couples, agnostics, spiritual people who are not religious, Gays, and some pagans.

I totally understand a need for a place for generally liberal but spiritually questioning people to meet, fellowship, sing, eat and involve themselves in service to their community..

Some Unitarians are Christians. They just do not ascribe to the doctrine of the Trinity.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I still can not accept it as a church, I have no problem with peoples views on religion. I do not tell Atheists they are wrong, even if I happen to be a believer but I do have a problem with this. As I said, what kind of music do they sing? Maybe 1/2 are singing "Jesus loves me this I know" and the other 1/2 are signing: "Jesus is a fraud you know"
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've thought of that (though not in quite the entertaining way you just suggested) on many occasions. One of City-Data's former posters (I haven't seen him in ages) by the name of Huffenhardt, was at one time a Mormon. He left Mormonism, became an atheist, and now attends a Unitarian Church. I remember asking him why he'd continue to go to church at all if he didn't believe in God. He said something about enjoying the spiritual experience of it. It didn't make sense to me, because I've always thought atheism rejected the idea of the spiritual entirely. I actually think that relatively few Unitarians also consider themselves to be Christians, even though they may believe in some kind of a Higher Power. Those who do (i.e. consider themselves Christian), seem to pretty much all reject the idea of the Trinity. I attended a Unitarian service once with a friend who is Unitarian. They had all kinds of music and readings and prayers, but I can't recall that any of them really struck me as relating to Christianity. Everybody seemed entirely comfortable with the idea that they were each just there doing their own thing. That wouldn't work for me, and I still can't quite get my head around the idea of going to church with professing atheists, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just one of those "mysteries" I'm not supposed to be able to understand.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Seems like the Science of Mind churches would be a good fit for an atheist
looking for comradary or upliftment.
They have changed their names so many times, don't know what they are called any more, sorry.
"Community of Spiritual Awareness"? I dunno.
New agey group of people.

Edit: Oh, Centers for Spiritual Living

Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Seems like the Science of Mind churches would be a good fit for an atheist
looking for comradary or upliftment.
They have changed their names so many times, don't know what they are called any more, sorry.
"Community of Spiritual Awareness"? I dunno.
New agey group of people.

Edit: Oh, Centers for Spiritual Living
Not for atheists, it's not a fit ... not when their doctrinal statement begins with the phrase, "We believe in God ..."

Old 10-18-2014, 04:46 PM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
This reminds me of some of the things that Jesus Christ said:

“Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.†(Matthew 7:22, 23, NWT)

“Then, too, if anyone says to you, ‘See! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘See! There he is,’ do not believe it.For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform signs and wonders to lead astray, if possible, the chosen ones. You, then, watch out. I have told you all things beforehand.†(Mark 13:22, 23, NWT)

To Jewish religious leaders of that first century, Christ pointedly said:

“For the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God. You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’†(Matthew 15:6-9, RS)

That applies with equal force to those in Christendom today who advocate human traditions --including the practice of socializing & basically ignoring our Creator-- in preference to the clear truths of the Bible.

Churches have for some time now become more of a place for social gatherings, than for spiritual enlightenment of any kind. I like how these articles bring that out:

"The Churches—Where Are They Heading?"
- "What Is Happening to the Churches?"
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102007041

Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
My BF was a member of a humanist and atheist group which met on Sunday afternoons at a UU church building. They had no problem whatsoever with atheists using their building.

Myself, I'm not interested in joining any church. I just don't see the point. But, to each their own.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I still can not accept it as a church, I have no problem with peoples views on religion. I do not tell Atheists they are wrong, even if I happen to be a believer but I do have a problem with this. As I said, what kind of music do they sing? Maybe 1/2 are singing "Jesus loves me this I know" and the other 1/2 are signing: "Jesus is a fraud you know"

LargeKingcat: Go and enjoy, no problem but it still is not a church. That is my concern.
Well, I guess its good thing for the Universalists that it isn't up to you.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:18 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
... I've always thought atheism rejected the idea of the spiritual entirely.
Nah. Atheism is about not believing in god -- nothing more. There are all sorts of ways to be "spiritual", ethical, etc., without involving invisible beings. I grant you that atheists tend to be skeptics and, philosophically, materialists. But there is nothing that would prevent an atheist from being into many aspects of New Thought or New Age, for instance. It's just not that common.

Any former theist (especially) who misses the social support provided by church can also be drawn to church-like organizations like the so-called "atheist churches" that have caught on recently, or the Unitarians. I am with you, Katzpur, in finding people "playing church" and reproducing the church ritual and social experience without god, seems bizarre and a lot of effort for dubious benefit. But then I am not an extrovert and I don't crave that sort of thing; I didn't crave it even when I was a believer, really. Intellectually, at least, I can see why some people would value it.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Why would atheists go to church in the first place?

That would be like Rush Limbaugh going to a global warming summit.
My thoughts as well. There is no reason whatsoever an atheist would want to go to church. Well I would make an exception for weddings or funerals, but those aren't really worship services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality