Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
There is an old story about a traveling salesman that goes into a hotel room at Lake Tahoe and checks to make sure he has a TV and a telephone for entertainment and business calls. He then pulls out the drawer next to his bed and sees the Gideon Bible and a list of charges for phone calls.

Calling another state: $20 plus telephone company costs.
Calling another country: $50 plus telephone company costs.
Calling Washington D.C.: $100 plus telephone company costs
Calling heaven: Free.

He dials the front desk. "I don't get it. You have a phone that dials to heaven?"

"Yes," replies the clerk.

"Why is it free to call heaven," the salesman asks?

"Around here it's a local call," says the clerk.
I wonder if they are 900 calls?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:59 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Why Is There a Bible in Every Hotel Room (And How Did it Get There)?

The story has something to do with two traveling businessmen (in 1898) and the Bible Project in 1908 which set out to put a Bible in every hotel room in America.

But why are hotels still maintaining this tradition? Are people reading the Bible in their hotel rooms?

Would you expect to see other religious books in other countries?

No need to read a Bible that is in the hotel room I always have mine with me, especially when we travel.
It is actually the first thing put into our vehicle.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:35 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is actually the first thing put into our vehicle.
Because, on a long trip, a Bible is much more important to have than, say, a jack and spare tire, a first aid kit, extra blankets, a cell phone, prescription medications, your purse or wallet, directions on how to get where you're going, flares, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Because, on a long trip, a Bible is much more important to have than, say, a jack and spare tire, a first aid kit, extra blankets, a cell phone, prescription medications, your purse or wallet, directions on how to get where you're going, flares, etc.
Exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Hey, you're right!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Exactly, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Hey, you're right!
Sure, uh huh ... right.

These two responses just go to show everyone that some folks will say anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid looking ... uh ... absurd.

Might want to rethink your strategy, boys.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Sure, uh huh ... right.

These two responses just go to show everyone that some folks will say anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid looking ... uh ... absurd.

Might want to rethink your strategy, boys.
You're the one being absurd in post #63.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
The idea was that many men checked into hotels because they were contemplating suicide. I think once they opened the Gideon Bible and tried to read it they followed through.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM

919 posts, read 847,806 times
Quote:
If you wander off from your car and get lost in the woods, and have to do what the bear does, and don't want to use leaves lest they be poison ivy; then you would wish you had your Bible instead of your cell phone, wouldn't you? Therefore, Bible FTW

Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're the one being absurd in post #63.
I'm concerned that you seriously would think of taking a bible along as the first thing that goes into your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality