Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They go straight back to the loving Father in heaven.
Catholic compassion at it's best. I've always liked Catholic teachings about compassion. God has it and it's extended to the small child gone too soon. Such a wonderful concept that too many fail to understand. I think it's one of the stellar parts of Catholic belief.

p.s. I absolutely agree.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-04-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Catholic compassion at it's best. I've always liked Catholic teachings about compassion. God has it and it's extended to the small child gone too soon. Such a wonderful concept that too many fail to understand. I think it's one of the stellar parts of Catholic belief.

p.s. I absolutely agree.
Really? Official RCC teaching is that baptism is required for entrance to heaven. The idea of limbo, while not an official doctrine, did develop as a means of answering this question. They theorized that while an unbaptized baby can't get into heaven, he/she shouldn't go to hell, either...so they're in "limbo".

Old 11-04-2014, 11:55 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Apologetics, technically, is the discipline of defending a position, usually religious, in a systematic manner. We usually use it here for people defending the concept of faith, and of the Christian god. Perry rejects this label, perhaps based on a misunderstanding of the term "apologist" having something to do with apologies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are using it in the more limited sense of defending a position about the utter depravity of man (taught in the Bible) vs it not applying to very young and newly minted persons who have not yet reached some undefined "age of accountability" (not taught in the Bible).

Perry has explicitly endorsed the age of accountability, but says he is not an apologist for it. Technically he is correct, in that he has done nothing to explain, justify or defend his belief in the age of accountability. Because he cannot. It is a particularly clear example of a theological concept (utter depravity) running up against a strong, widely held moral conviction (babies are innocent and should not be tortured) and the resulting cognitive dissonance being dealt with by simply turning a human opinion into a doctrine. God "could not have meant" that to apply to innocent wittle babies, of course, so if God had thought to mention this exception, this "age of accountability" concept is what he "would have" said.

Since fundamentalists like Perry like to claim all of their dogmas and doctrines are derived from black and white indisputable pronouncements in scripture, I can understand his reluctance to defend a position that has no basis in scripture.
Strike three, your out, you did worse at the plate than she did.: I'll give you credit you got my proper name right.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Really? Official RCC teaching is that baptism is required for entrance to heaven. The idea of limbo, while not an official doctrine, did develop as a means of answering this question. They theorized that while an unbaptized baby can't get into heaven, he/she shouldn't go to hell, either...so they're in "limbo".
You need an update. And today is your lucky day! Limbo was buried as a concept in 2007 by the Church's International Theological Commission. With the blessings of Pope Benedict, a theologian, who had expressed doubts about Limbo for many years. They recognized that it was really just a bunch of hooey.

p.s. Many Catholics pray to God asking for a (more) compassionate heart. This world could use more compassion.

p.p.s. LovesMountains is a wonderful example of a compassionate Catholic. Her posts are always full of good stuff.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-04-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 12:36 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Strike three, your out, you did worse at the plate than she did.: I'll give you credit you got my proper name right.
Yet you are oddly not explaining in what respect my characterization of your position is mistaken. You're just saying that it is.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You need an update. And today is your lucky day! Limbo was buried as a concept in 2007 by the Church's International Theological Commission. With the blessings of Pope Benedict, a theologian, who had expressed doubts about Limbo for many years. They recognized that it was really just a bunch of hooey.

p.s. Many Catholics pray to God asking for a (more) compassionate heart. I think that's quite wonderful. This world could use more compassion.
As I said...it was not an official doctrine. I recognize that. My point though, is that it was something that developed because on one hand, the RCC wanted to be merciful, but on the other hand, they held to the idea that one cannot go to heaven without baptism.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
Quote:

p.s. Many Catholics pray to God asking for a (more) compassionate heart. This world could use more compassion.

p.p.s. LovesMountains is a wonderful example of a compassionate Catholic. Her posts are always full of good stuff.
Yay for compassion.
But - does God change his entry criteria according to the prevailing winds of the Roman Catholic teachings? Sounds unlikely.
1. We are born in sin.
2. No one goes to Heaven except though me - Jesus Christ.
3. Babies don't know Jesus from Adam.
1 + 2 + 3 imply that babies go to Hell. Since there is no Limbo. Along with Jews, Hindus and most Asians.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Yay for compassion.
But - does God change his entry criteria according to the prevailing winds of the Roman Catholic teachings? Sounds unlikely.
1. We are born in sin.
2. No one goes to Heaven except though me - Jesus Christ.
3. Babies don't know Jesus from Adam.
1 + 2 + 3 imply that babies go to Hell. Since there is no Limbo. Along with Jews, Hindus and most Asians.
How do you know that a baby can't have faith?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
This is when modern religion loses me.

This is really what is pondered among some believers?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
This is when modern religion loses me.

This is really what is pondered among some believers?
Yep. Dumb, ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality