Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 PM

691 posts, read 640,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
I have too dim of a view of human intelligence to think that will happen in that span of time. It will either continue or be replaced by something else foolish.
Evolution maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
blond-haired-blue eyes
What gives with this weird obsession men have with the female Aryan Master Race?

Is there something wrong with a sultry brunette with dark eyes and dusky skin? Or does everyone have to look like a porcelain doll straight out of Mayberry? Grrrrr.

(Nah, I'm not really mad ... but as a brunette with dark eyes and dusky skin, it is a point of fact that has irritated me back when I was still dating).

And a conservative homebody? Ugh! Is that what you really want? LOL! I agree with Katzpur ... boooooooorrrrrring. What a yawnfest your home life will be.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
"beautiful naturally blonde, blue eyes"
Every once in awhile, someone comes along and inadvertantly reminds me why I lost interest in romantic relationships.

Guess what ...

And I'm still baffled by this weird obsession with blonds with blue eyes considering they're kind of a dime a dozen in the U.S. Most of them look the same to me - though obviously I don't look at women the way men do. But still ... sheesh. With all of this talk of guys and their blonde obsession, I'm beginning to feel like a Jew in the midst of a Waffen SS seminar on what makes a superior human being.

Anyhow, we should probably get back on topic.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Yes....Larry should stick to know what he knows best. He should stick to talking about creation in the context of starting from 'nothing'.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What gives with this weird obsession men have with the female Aryan Master Race?

Is there something wrong with a sultry brunette with dark eyes and dusky skin? Or does everyone have to look like a porcelain doll straight out of Mayberry? Grrrrr.

(Nah, I'm not really mad ... but as a brunette with dark eyes and dusky skin, it is a point of fact that has irritated me back when I was still dating).

And a conservative homebody? Ugh! Is that what you really want? LOL! I agree with Katzpur ... boooooooorrrrrring. What a yawnfest your home life will be.
My current honey is a raven beauty, which I have always preferred and a nice change after the previous two blondes. However, superficialities like that are scarcely more than a tertiary concern if you are looking for a sustainable relationship that involves actual emotional and intellectual intimacy, which IMO is foundational to ongoing physical intimacy anyway. In my experience, the only thing that really ends up mattering is being on the same page in terms of curiosity and beliefs, and generally avoiding people with a dysfunctional childhood behind them.

Granted, most young men are too addled by hormones and culture to really "get" this concept, but time is on your side ;-)

Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Here is the article:

Atheist scientist claims religion will be gone in a generation. Is he right? - CSMonitor.com

Of course, not all will agree, but it is telling that the upcoming generation is rejecting any kind of religion more and more, and embracing secularism, rationality and human driven ethics.

From the article:
Some 25 years ago, only 5 percent of Americans identified as non-religious, or not affiliated with a religious group. Today, that figure is around 20 percent or more in the general population, according to Pew Research Center polling. Among the 18-25 age group, the demographic Krauss refers to in his talk, over 30 percent identify as non-religious.
Many of us think this is a good thing.
Why would we care what a guy thinks that isn't bright enough to realize that you can't get something from nothing? I'm sorry, but his credibility isn't very high. He thinks the universe just popped into existence from nothing with no cause! LOL.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
I will add that Krauss is an arrogant egotistic @zzhole. I've watched several of his debates, most notably his three-evening slugfest with WL Craig in Brisbane, I think it was (on YouTube). Craig conducted himself like a gentleman in the face of Krauss' numerous slurs to his character and never once bit back--and I'm no Craig fan. But far as I'm concerned neither man has an ironclad argument, though I will side with Craig on this issue as I think his evidence gets closer to the truth than Krauss, who generally is always over the top in his radical atheism in debate and lectures. He and Dawkins deserve each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Are you joking? Boring while wed to the Thrillmeister?!!

Pas possible!

Thank you, Trout, but I'm afraid at this point Katzpur would be right. Maybe when I was younger....but...now....as Katzpur so eloquently puts it, "Ughh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You haven't spent much time in southern Alberta. More Mormon's than Utah on a per capita basis I am sure. His description pretty well nailed it.

Now if he wanted real dedication, he should go introduce himself to one of our local Hutterite colonies.
Think Amish but the use the latest equipment in farming.
If I'd known that when I was contemplating fleeing to Canada in 1971 I definitely would have fled. Probably have 12 children by now.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
M_M

62 posts, read 112,544 times
Quote:
I will add that Krauss is an arrogant egotistic @zzhole. I've watched several of his debates, most notably his three-evening slugfest with WL Craig in Brisbane, I think it was (on YouTube). Craig conducted himself like a gentleman in the face of Krauss' numerous slurs to his character and never once bit back--and I'm no Craig fan. But far as I'm concerned neither man has an ironclad argument, though I will side with Craig on this issue as I think his evidence gets closer to the truth than Krauss, who generally is always over the top in his radical atheism in debate and lectures. He and Dawkins deserve each other.
I heard Isaac Newton was a real jerk and a shoplifter too. Once I heard that I just started floating away from the earth.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
The genie is out of the bottle now. This doesn't bode well for organized
religion, but the lack of an affordable education does, and millions of dumb
people with no opportunity to afford a good education will continue to be the
largest segment of churches in the future
You know I'm aware enough to know yes the times have changed with regard to 'religiosity' and things 'religious'. Previously skepticism was always there on it but kind of in the background. Now though the criticism is full-blown and overt and of course no doubt due to the secularization of society and our fascination of the new 'god', i.e science.
But I'm not so sure the lack of an education presupposes that that would fully constitute the makeup of future believers, believers by the way that might not fit a current conception of what it means to 'believe' in the context of our changing society.

And oh we I'd say have to be careful in thinking that all who get a 'quality' education mind you is qualified to the understand the ramifications of all findings in science. I give you the Big Bang. Probability wise there has to be some who go to Harvard or Yale who would think it aint nuthin do with cosmology but really an auto accident on Congress Street. And there are dumb people at Harvard too. They've got to be dumber on some things than others if you get down to it.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:48 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would we care what a guy thinks that isn't bright enough to realize that you can't get something from nothing? I'm sorry, but his credibility isn't very high. He thinks the universe just popped into existence from nothing with no cause! LOL.
Like some on here who think a god just popped around to make things happen. Yeah, right, like that makes sense. ROFL

On the other hand, Vizio, the numbers don't lie. Attendance at churches are down, baptisms are down, and my guess, offerings and tithings are also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality