Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 AM

6,469 posts, read 6,667,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The anger (in the post) was clearly directed at God, not believers.

I wonder how atheists can not believe in a creator, with so much evidence.
[quote=GldnRule;37254404]
Quote:

You just have a obsessive hatred for Religion and God Belief...and feel compelled to bust on people about it. It's obvious. Thread, after thread, after thread, after thread...to slam every aspect of Religion/God Belief, in every possible way...and that's just what we see here. I can't imagine how it must feel to have such angst.
I know these posts were not directed at me, but I'd like to point out that some of us have been asking sincere, respectful questions without one bit of anger or hatred. Unfortunately my hard questions have been ignored, and it does become very frustrating.

As an agnostic, I face attititudes and comments from Christians (in real life as well as online) that imply or state I am "less whole," doomed to hell, am selfish, prideful, arrogant, you name it....and I can see where such attitudes would create a lot of anger in some people. I have asked and asked for answers to some of the types of questions that eventually led to me losing my Christian faith, and my questions are repeatedly ignored or glossed over. That, of course, leads me to conclude there really are no valid answers to my questions, and that I am correct in being agnostic. Yet the Christians continue to say that it is the non-believers who ignore the evidence.

So, I'll put them out there once again. To those of you who are solid in your Christian faith, can you give me any answers to the questions in these posts:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37239724-post31.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37246153-post53.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:44 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,758 times
Quote:
Why would an educated, reasonable, well-adjusted adult continue to believe something with no evidence? Answer: they won't.
It depends upon what one accepts as evidence. Some people accept the teachings of an individual only, some accept the ancient writings of unknown authors, while still other only accept proven, objective, falsifiable, and testable evidence.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Point taken, Shirina . . . and I really wish something could be done about your pain, my friend . . . even if you are a heathen!

I concur, you are too young, you need to enjoy life.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,899,290 times
[quote=GldnRule;37254404]
Quote:

Unless prayer is being used to the exclusion of conventional medical treatment,
If God truly answered prayers for the sick, then Christians wouldn't need medical treatment, ever think about that? Good faithful Christian parents have their church members--thousands of members praying, entreating God to spare this child's life. The child dies and the pathologist testifies that if the parents had only brought the child in for medical treatment the child would have lived.

Instead these good faithful Christian parents are charged with murder. They followed Mark 11:24 to the letter, believing that if they and their church just asked God for a healing, believing that God would do it, it would be done for them and it wasn't and now because God failed them their lives are ruined.

This happens thousands of times every day in this country. God lets children die in spite of the prayers offered to Him. I don't bemoan the children dying so much; that's just the natural laws of the earth in play--some children live and some children die so a balance can be maintained. But I do wonder how Jesus could make such a promise, Christians could then rely on that promise in faith, and then God could yank the carpet out from underneath them when their child dies anyway.

I mean as a rational adult, doesn't tell you at least a little something about the inefficacy of prayer in praying for a medical miracle?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-13-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 11:02 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,770,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
It depends upon what one accepts as evidence. Some people accept the teachings of an individual only, some accept the ancient writings of unknown authors, while still other only accept proven, objective, falsifiable, and testable evidence.
educated, reasonable, well-adjusted adults

Old 11-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sorry, but no.

There is nothing logical about an absolutist belief in magic and the supernatural. I highly doubt that you or anyone else can use logic to show evidence for an illogical belief.
ID is not "magic". It's logical.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sure they will.

Think of it this way. You are convinced that you worship the One True God who heads the One True Religion, do you not? I mean, your beliefs and your religion are 110% correct and everyone else is wrong. Everyone else worships a false god under a false religion - or maintain the false assertion that no gods exist at all.

Yet, strangely enough, 2/3rds of the world's population is NOT Christian. If there is SO much evidence for the existence of your specific god and the correctness of your specific religion - why aren't people converting in droves?

I guess they are continuing to believe in their own religions - most likely because Muslims, Hindus, and every other deity-centric belief will point to the same "evidence" and the same "logic" to prove that their own gods exist, that their own religions are true. In other words, I'm certain that there is a Hindu in India right now telling someone all about the evidence and logic that proves the Truth of the Hindu religion - and Christianity is false.

Except ... how can that be if all the evidence and logic point directly to YHWH/Jehovah and Jesus?

Which means that either your supposed position regarding the veracity of your religion isn't nearly as strong as you claim it is ... OR ... 4 billion people are believing in different gods and different religions without any evidence.
I believe in a creator because it's logical. I'm a Christian because I made the decision that Christianity makes sense.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,913,619 times
Quote:
The anger (in the post) was clearly directed at God, not believers.

I wonder how atheists can not believe in a creator, with so much evidence.
There is more evidence for a Santa, Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I can actually see the tracks out of my window right now that the Bunny made. I'm pretty sure it was the Bunny, as opposed to a bunny. I think. At least I have faith it is. It even left little brown things that look like eggs behind. It must be practicing.

BTW, evidence is measurable or repeatable. We don't see much of that in sight do we in your god? Or Thor or Zeus for that matter.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You just have a obsessive hatred for Religion and God Belief...and feel compelled to bust on people about it. It's obvious. Thread, after thread, after thread, after thread...to slam every aspect of Religion/God Belief, in every possible way...and that's just what we see here. I can't imagine how it must feel to have such angst.
I have no hatred at all, but I do wonder how people in the 21st century are so blind as not to see that myths formulated 2-3000 years ago have any relevance today. I hope in some small way raise doubts that people will investigate reality, and there are some on this forum who have said coming here has changed their views on their believes.

Why do you think it is OK for christians to proselytize to the masses and attempt conversions, but all of a sudden when atheists preach reason, it becomes a big no-no? Many of us atheists are fed up with the suggestion one should show deference to religions, as those religions have no interests in showing deference to atheists, do they?

May reason show you the way.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,758 times
Quote:
educated, reasonable, well-adjusted adults
Assuming that you consider yourself in this category, other than the ancient writings of unknown authors, what do you consider evidence for YOUR God? Remember, ID doesn't address which creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality