Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,243,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
the work you do does seem possible to accomplish generally, in an unbiased manner or, at least, should only be argued against on the basis of what you state, not why you might have concluded them.
Getting the dogmatic hobbyists here to address what I state instead of what they assume are my motivations and biases would be like getting them to produce evidence instead of just assumption. In other words, it would be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
LOL

Says the guy who commented before he even read the post.

I am well aware of Tony Bushby; he's a moron.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I am well aware of Tony Bushby; he's a moron.
Lots of people are morons, not relevant, he is one of several I cited, and they are not all morons.

I notice you are more interested in killing the messenger anyway, rather than to address the accusations made. A common defense for people who make claims they cannot back up.

I question who is the moron here.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Lots of people are morons, not relevant, he is one of several I cited, and they are not all morons.
As far as I can tell none of them have credentials in the field of New Testament scholarship. While that doesn't mean all *sans Mr. Bushby* don't know what they are talking about, it does mean that they are not professionals. It also is relevant because it questions how much weight someone can give your opinions. I rarely take someone serious when they use known pseudo authors as their sources.

Quote:
I notice you are more interested in killing the messenger anyway, rather than to address the accusations made. A common defense for people who make claims they cannot back up.
Says the guy who tells anyone who disagrees with him that they need to read the "professionals". Your views are based off of your personal opinion and not fact. There is nothing to address here. If you don't believe me then there are several authors I suggest you read.

Quote:
I question who is the moron here.
Likely the person who thinks random people writing opinion pieces on the internet are "professionals" in the field.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm sorry I brought it up.
It really is giving ammunition to your detractors and even if they are blanks, will be an unnecessary annoyance when shot at you.
While I do agree that unconscious influences can affect someone's opinion when dealing only with opinions, the work you do does seem possible to accomplish generally, in an unbiased manner or, at least, should only be argued against on the basis of what you state, not why you might have concluded them.
Then we would have to see what an "unbiased Muslim scholar on Constantine" has to say about Constantine's slight yet present influence on canonization. Money and Government are a big influence.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
Getting the dogmatic hobbyists here to address what I state instead of what they assume are my motivations and biases would be like getting them to produce evidence instead of just assumption. In other words, it would be impossible.
I don't know about you, but I agree that we find no Confession from Constantine that he chose the books, we get no confession from the bishops that they were influenced by Constantine's support, etc. But I still think applying psychology of today to so little ago evolutionarily, is allowable. But yes, the common idea that Constantine "chose" the books is most likely very very wrong, considering the available evidence.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
As far as I can tell none of them have credentials in the field of New Testament scholarship. While that doesn't mean all *sans Mr. Bushby* don't know what they are talking about, it does mean that they are not professionals. It also is relevant because it questions how much weight someone can give your opinions. I rarely take someone serious when they use known pseudo authors as their sources.

Says the guy who tells anyone who disagrees with him that they need to read the "professionals". Your views are based off of your personal opinion and not fact. There is nothing to address here. If you don't believe me then there are several authors I suggest you read.

Likely the person who thinks random people writing opinion pieces on the internet are "professionals" in the field.

Btw, this info was available long before the internet, you are making excuses again.

And use some common sense, if there was anything that confirms Christianity, the way you are trying to put it, it would have been public a long, long time ago.

And you are hiding behind the same' kill the messenger mentality". a person makes a statement, and you avoid the statement, by trying to defame him, regardless if the statement is true or not.
It is obvious you know the statements he made on this particular topic are true, or you would attack the statements, not the person who made them.

And a person cannot get information from a Christian author, they will tell you what they are conditioned to say.

The only answers can come from 2 sides facing off, but the christians will not do this in places they know they cannot prove, or would be embarrassing to them.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Then we would have to see what an "unbiased Muslim scholar on Constantine" has to say about Constantine's slight yet present influence on canonization. Money and Government are a big influence.

LOLOL

Muslim scholar on Constantine,

And where do you propose getting one of those.

Islam is plagerized from Christianity, Judism, Zoestranism, and Greek medical.

There is no Constantine in their history, in fact their history did not even start until the 8th century.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Btw, this info was available long before the internet, you are making excuses again.

And use some common sense, if there was anything that confirms Christianity, the way you are trying to put it, it would have been public a long, long time ago.

And you are hiding behind the same' kill the messenger mentality". a person makes a statement, and you avoid the statement, by trying to defame him, regardless if the statement is true or not.
It is obvious you know the statements he made on this particular topic are true, or you would attack the statements, not the person who made them.
There is nothing to attack because he is offering a personal opinion based on no facts. His sources are either quote minded in which he only gives a small portion of the saying to try to further his point, or ridiculous sayings that come from non historical work *such as quoting God's book of Eskra." The reality is the development of canon took CENTURIES to come up with. Constantine was a patron of the religion but he wasn't as invested in the creation of canon as a lot of people seem to assume.Even if he was they weren't going to alter their views just because he said so. Early Christians had no issue dying for their beliefs, so it's a very ignorant view to think that they would suddenly do a 180 to appease the Roman Emperor.

And although though there was no official list until some time after he died we do have lists of known works. Some of these authors went out of their way to attack gnostic views well before Constaintine drew breath. Do you know why they did this? Because there is absolutely no connection between them and the historical Jesus. They were concerned with persevering valid traditions that went back to the Apostles and the time of Christ. Have you even read some of those books? Weird doesn't even begin to describe almost all of them.

Quote:
And a person cannot get information from a Christian author, they will tell you what they are conditioned to say.

The only answers can come from 2 sides facing off, but the christians will not do this in places they know they cannot prove, or would be embarrassing to them.
Read Dr. Ehrman's work then, he's an atheist .

Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
LOLOL

Muslim scholar on Constantine,

And where do you propose getting one of those.

Islam is plagerized from Christianity, Judism, Zoestranism, and Greek medical.

There is no Constantine in their history, in fact their history did not even start until the 8th century.

6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality