Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 15,867 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old, a lifeguard at my local beach. The other day I was getting out of my car to go to work and the parking lot was crawling with like a thousand little hermit crabs that the tide washed up from a storm the night before. I was going to walk barefoot to the beach and avoid them but I was running late so I put my sneakers on my feet and just jogged through them. I couldn't avoid stepping on and crushing a bunch of these little crabs.

Now I'm actually a pretty good guy, but some dude and his kid saw me stamping through and approached me when I was wiping my feet off on the sand to remove the layer of little crab guts and exoskeletons that got gunked up in the treads of my running shoes. Basically told me I was careless, shouldn't be working at the beach, etc.

Was what I did really that wrong? I'm pretty environmentally conscious but I was running late. I'm pretty good about preservation of the environment; I step on most bugs I see and smack flies.. but honestly the smell of my feet is probably enough to kill those guys. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Different people will have different opinions of course. As a society, we decided that it's not wrong to step on bugs. As a society, we decided that we are important, but bugs and animals are to be used by us.

Is it wrong?

Well, from bugs' perspective and animals' perspective, we are barbaric and we are killers.

Just because bugs are tiny, does it make them unimportant?

I don't know. We set the rules. And so far we decided that.

It's hard to know whether something is right or wrong sometimes.

Of course, an ideal way to be is to never hurt another living being. But then some people believe that plants are also living beings and some even believe that they can feel fear or joy.

So, in that case, we should not touch anything. But we wouldn't survive, right? We need plants for various purposes and we are choosing to eat meat too.

Personally, I am uncertain whether it's right or wrong to step on bugs, but it makes me feel a bit unpleasant when I do, like I am doing something wrong, because I am putting myself in their shoes and I know that I don't want to be stepped on. So I try not to do it whenever possible.

I am afraid of spiders and have to kill them, I can't live with them. But this reminds me of people who always kill others when others are a threat. Like if aliens came, some of us would consider them a threat and would have killed them. It's like a survival reflex. Not necessarily a good thing to do though. But it's about fear and fear wins.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM

338 posts, read 421,013 times
Quote:
"Some dude and his kid saw me stamping through and approached me when I was wiping my feet off on the sand to remove the layer of little crab guts and exoskeletons that got gunked up in the treads of my running shoes. Basically told me I was careless, shouldn't be working at the beach, etc."
Quote:
"What are your thoughts?"
My thoughts?

Ignore it and go about your business. Marvel at how people like that aren't afraid to get out of bed in the morning, let alone set outside and see their own shadow.

(Shouldn't this thread really be filed under "Psychology"?)

Old 11-12-2014, 09:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Hmmmm..... You've asked this question previously. You were stepping on ants then. Are you hoping for a different reaction if you report you're squishing something larger?

Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Killing/maiming anything for no reason is wrong.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Sounds like you fed the gulls.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrylix View Post

Was what I did really that wrong? I'm pretty environmentally conscious but I was running late. I'm pretty good about preservation of the environment; I step on most bugs I see and smack flies..
No. You are far from being environmentally conscious. Bugs exist for a reason and many are beneficial. If you're stepping on bugs willy nilly and crushing crabs because you're late for work you're one more guy doing what he wants without thinking about the ecosystem you are a part of.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Do you think its wrong to step on bugs and stuff?
It's generally okay to step on bugs - but stepping on stuff is completely out of line and might even land you in Hell immediately. You'll be whisked to Hell so fast that you'll have to die along the way.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Yes, I think it is wrong to do it if you are able to avoid it. I am vegan, and I try my best to not kill/harm any living creature even bugs. I will admit though that ticks and mosquito I do kill.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Killing/maiming anything for no reason is wrong.
This ^^^^^! The Spirit that does not feel any remorse or angst over doing so . . . even inadvertently . . . is not very enlightened or mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality