Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes, per the Bible there really was a world-wide flood and that God did succeed in saving 8 people and 2 of every unclean and 7 pairs of every clean animal. But why do you equate the historic universal flood in Noah's day with torturing? Drowning can be a very peaceful thing. Your lungs fill with water and you just go to sleep and die.
Lol. That's why so many prisoners look forward to be waterboarded. It's not so much the physical pain, but the mental suffering that one must endure while drowning, gasping for breath, the inability to sustain one's buoyancy, and realizing the impending death.

This demonstrates the lengths to which theist go to justify the acts of their God, by claiming that drowning innocent individuals is a peaceful means of being killed for the wicked deeds of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
No, it is actually a very peaceful way to go:
"Yeah, I know it's a hard question to talk about. Tough to get first hand accounts and all that.

Basically, I spent most of my life figuring that drowning would really suck. Not just the dying part, but the extreme amount of pain involved in the process. But about 10 yrs ago, a friend of mine who had nearly drowned told me it was acutally fairly painless (more on this in a second). And now I'm reading a fiction book that has a character drown in it, in which the author describes the agonizing pain step by step. Not that it's a genuine resource, but it peaked my curiosity so here I am, asking the dopers.

Now, back to my friend who almost drowned. Here are the details as he described them. He was in a car accident, and ended up upside down (strapped in to his seat via the seatbelt) in a few feet of water. His head was fully submerged. I have no idea if this was fresh water or salt water, but I assume fresh. If it makes a difference at all...

He said he had trouble getting out of his seat, and he held his breath as long as he could until his body overrode him and he took a "breath" of water, which he could feel filling his lungs. He said he was surprised that his body was actually able to pull some oxygen out of the water -- his mind cleared up briefly, as he described it, like he had a breath of air -- but not very much. Just enough for a slight amount of relief before everything started going black. He described it as fairly calm and peaceful, not painful at all.

Now when the passenger of the car managed to get him out and he had to heave the water out of his lungs, he said THAT was INCREDIBLY painful. But I'm not concerned about that, I'm curious about the actual drowning process.

Is there any empircal evidence regarding the pain involved in drowning?" Is drowning a painful way to die? [Archive] - Straight Dope Message Board
Just Google "Is drowning peaceful?"
More false information.

I nearly drowned. Peace only arrives when death is very, very near.

Until then, I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Lol. That's why so many prisoners look forward to be waterboarded. It's not so much the physical pain, but the mental suffering that one must endure while drowning, gasping for breath, the inability to sustain one's buoyancy, and realizing the impending death.

This demonstrates the lengths to which theist go to justify the acts of their God, by claiming that drowning innocent individuals is a peaceful means of being killed for the wicked deeds of others.
It's how they killed some of the supposed witches, by weighing them down with stones and "peacefully" letting God take to heaven the good ones by drowning them and the ones that escaped the weights and floated did so by power of Satan and had to be burned...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
One of the few times I question God and say what the heck is when I think about the animals that hunt for food.
Hmmm. That doesn't challenge the notion of God existing, however - it just challenges the idea that God cares about (non-human) animals. But why must God necessarily be a benevolent animal lover?

I do not believe in God. I just fail to see why a deity's existence must be contingent on that deity being nice. Why can not a deity just as likely be callous prick as an all-loving entity?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Yes, per the Bible there really was a world-wide flood and that God did succeed in saving 8 people and 2 of every unclean and 7 pairs of every clean animal. But why do you equate the historic universal flood in Noah's day with torturing? Drowning can be a very peaceful thing. Your lungs fill with water and you just go to sleep and die.

Congratulations. I don't give those out often, but comparing death by drowning and going to sleep deserves it.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:37 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Not sure what the context of Death is in this thread?
But it seems to me the consensus is fear of pain and death. As someone has faced death on many occasions I will not say I am completely fearless. It just took time to shed most of the fear. When I was 16 I nearly died of pneumonia. That is drowning.
As for infliction of Death, well it is Gods right to such. But it is only physical death. So Fear of pain and death is leading a person to believe it is evil. So if someone does not believe in an afterlife then they would presume evil is upon them at the coming of death.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Not sure what the context of Death is in this thread?
But it seems to me the consensus is fear of pain and death. As someone has faced death on many occasions I will not say I am completely fearless. It just took time to shed most of the fear. When I was 16 I nearly died of pneumonia. That is drowning.
As for infliction of Death, well it is Gods right to such. But it is only physical death. So Fear of pain and death is leading a person to believe it is evil. So if someone does not believe in an afterlife then they would presume evil is upon them at the coming of death.
Why would I presume evil? Death is simply the last step in life.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Why would I presume evil? Death is simply the last step in life.
I think we are on the same page.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Congratulations. I don't give those out often, but comparing death by drowning and going to sleep deserves it.
When I was a teenager, I saved a childhood friend from drowning. Strangely enough, it was the second time in less than a year that I saved the same guy's life. But that's another story.

Anyway, after I dragged him out of the water, we sat on the shore for a while collecting our wits and talking about it. I can unequivocally report to everyone in the thread that he did not enjoy the experience in any way, and did not find it the least bit peaceful or relaxing. He was quite clear that he could not imagine a more horrible way to end his life. He expressed that exact message numerous times, in numerous ways as we talked about what had happened.

Probably didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, though. He got run over by a car the next summer while trying to cross a highway at night for some utterly inexplicable reason. But at any rate, his opinion on drowning was quite unambiguous. He was firmly opposed to the idea.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Hmmm. That doesn't challenge the notion of God existing, however - it just challenges the idea that God cares about (non-human) animals. But why must God necessarily be a benevolent animal lover?

I do not believe in God. I just fail to see why a deity's existence must be contingent on that deity being nice. Why can not a deity just as likely be callous prick as an all-loving entity?
Or, why not neither one nor the other? Why not just a deity that sets things in motion, and then gets out of the way and lets it work out however it works out? if I'm god, I've probably got more important things on my "to-do" list than worrying about whether some rabbit gets eaten by a fox. And at the same time, I like to think I would be above watching those nature shows where hyenas and crocodiles tear apart living wildebeests. Probably not much about that that I would find emotionally satisfying.

The god in which I believe only has one bumper sticker on his Volvo - "Sht Happens. Deal With It."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality