Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,173 times

Advertisements

HAHAHA! sex is just for reproduction? When religious couples have kids they didn't sit around the table after dinner and say:
"Bob, it's time for us to make a baby."
"AWWWW, do I have to?"
"Well, we do need to keep the human race going, I mean I know it will be difficult for us to make this baby, but it will be over soon enough..."
"OK, let's make a baby, but can we get it done fast?"

I think that the man of the house saw the woman of the house bent over in front of the dishwasher and had one hell of a dirty thought.

Can anyone that has had kids honestly tell me that every time they had sex it was strictly with the purpose of getting pregnant? chances are that a lot of the time, it was pure, raw, hormone raging lust.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_spirit View Post
I mean, from a practical manner, what is the point of people having sex if no one has children? It would seem more like an extra curricular activity rather than keeping the human race going!
If you don't understand the point, then you probably should get checked out by a doctor!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee made a remark that falls inline with the original topic of this thread.

"We're living right on the edge of the Lord's return, I believe, and it may be that the Lord will give this country something that it really deserves, and that is a Hillary [Clinton] as president. We have turned our backs on the Lord. We've thrown the Ten Commandments out of every place that we could. Every effort in the world is being made right now to eliminate any mention of the name Jesus, and the Lord who's made such a sacrifice for his children is not going to tolerate it."

Doesn't specifically mention gays, though he did compare them to pedophiles and beastiality in another speech, the phrase "America has turned its back on God" is usually used to describe the cause of the gradual acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Kind of amazing what a two hour drive can do.
You'd be surprised. My native Scranton, PA is just two hours from Midtown Manhattan, yet while the latter is home to Greenwich Village, inarguably one of the "gayest" neighborhoods in the nation, my hometown is home to a sizeable community of right-wing bigots, including Evangelicals who are now lodging a compaign against homosexuals to bolster support for a proposed amendment to the state constitution to permanently ban same-sex marriage and civil unions. It's entirely possible that Chris's neighborhood is much more "Archie Bunker-ish" than your own, even though you're in the same state. 45 minutes away from my home, my partner and I could enter into a civil union in NJ and then return home to have it mean nothing at all. PA is like the "Twilight Zone of the Northeast" in that we're the only Democratic Northeastern state that has its head so far up Ann Coulter's rear-end that it has been blinded to see just how nasty and narrow-minded it has become. We're the laughing-stock of the Northeast.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Doesn't specifically mention gays, though he did compare them to pedophiles and beastiality in another speech, the phrase "America has turned its back on God" is usually used to describe the cause of the gradual acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle.
Huckabee sounds exactly like PA Senator Rick Santorum. You know what happened to him? He lost his re-election bid in a landslide to Robert Casey, a more liberal Democrat from Scranton. People had enough of having one of our two state senators portraying PA as being a dumb redneck state with his asinine, socially-regressive comments, one of which also condemned women for working instead of being at home. I hope Suckabee crashes and burns just like his buddy Santorum did.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-17-2008 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Huckabee sounds exactly like PA Senator Rick Santorum. You know what happened to him? He lost his re-election bid in a landslide to Robert Casey, a more liberal Democrat from Scranton. People had enough of having one of our two state senators portraying PA as being a dumb redneck state with his asinine, socially-regressive comments, one of which also condemned women for working instead of being at home. I hope Suckabee crashes and burns just like his buddy Santorum did.
Yeah, Huckabee recently said something along those lines about working women as well. At first, Huckabee didn't seem like a half bad candidate. However, since his win in Iowa he seems to be trying way too hard to out-God the other candidates and its getting plain scary. As a moderate Republican, if he wins the nomination I will be voting Democrat for my first time ever in a Presidential election.

I voted Democrat for Mike Beebe for the first time in the 2006 Arkansas governors election because as always, the Republican running was using gay marriage as "the issue" even though an amendment had been passed in the state constitution banning it in 2004.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What does marriage offer that a civil union does not? Nobody is refused anything. They can still go off and have a ceremony, head down and apply for a civil union.

Calling it a marriage is incorrect. It can't be one. That is, unless you can find me two homosexuals that can create a child between them only. Find that, and then we can say it is a noting of blood lines and therefore a "marriage". Until then, civil union, same rights, not missing out on anything.

If the civil union doesn't receive the same legal benefits as a marriage, then submit to have that adjusted so it does. Looking to change the meaning of a word and tradition which is pretty much just about bloodlines is rather silly and has more to do with a principal statement of the issue than really anything to do with rights being violated. It smacks of more of a thing to throw into peoples faces who disagree with it than it does to deal with any oppressive treatment.
As a gay man I can honestly say that if I were allowed a "civil union" that conferred all the rights and obligations of marriage...I wouldnt give two flying mucks what its called. However, I ain't got no haha

Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee made a remark that falls inline with the original topic of this thread.

"We're living right on the edge of the Lord's return, I believe, and it may be that the Lord will give this country something that it really deserves, and that is a Hillary [Clinton] as president. We have turned our backs on the Lord. We've thrown the Ten Commandments out of every place that we could. Every effort in the world is being made right now to eliminate any mention of the name Jesus, and the Lord who's made such a sacrifice for his children is not going to tolerate it."

This man is scary. But I think the American people are fed up with the evangelical agenda and he doesn't stand a chance. Evangelicals have gained too much power and I think many people would like to see them sent back to the fringes, rather than running our government. My personal belief is that Bush simply used them to get elected (plenty of evidence of this has surfaced) and tosses them a bone here and there. Huckabee would be worse, because he really believes what he preaches.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM

479 posts, read 1,141,832 times
Can anyone show me any support in the New Covenant where homosexual marriages were condoned and considered the equivalent of heterosexual marriages?

Last edited by simpleton; 01-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Poor Grammar..:)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,716,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Can anyone show me any support in the New Covenant where homosexual marriages where condoned and considered the equivalent of heterosexual marriages?
Nope. Haven't seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.