Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
I think the word "ordinances" in Collasions 2:16-20 covers shaving, poly cotton blends, etc...it also states not to worry about people judging you based on "meat and drink."
I'd say that's a pretty loose interpretation. Again, not all Christians agree with this interpretation to legitimize cherry picking in Leviticus. And I support your interpreting the Bible any way you choose, as long as the interpretation isn't forced on me.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
It seems weird to me that the very 'conservative' gay-bashing Repubs are the ones being caught engaging in homosexual behavior.
Do as I say, not as I do! L. Craig

Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Do as I say, not as I do! L. Craig
You can't be "caught" if you're not hiding anything!

Personally I think there are many more closet cases on the far-right, anti-gay evangelical side. I called it on Ted Haggart after seeing him on TV before. I'll also call Ralph Reed and Gary Bauer as self-hating, gay closet cases. I can tell their gay by their manerisms, facial features, and then it's well known that those screaming the loudest against gay people are often gay themselves.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You can't be "caught" if you're not hiding anything!

Personally I think there are many more closet cases on the far-right, anti-gay evangelical side. I called it on Ted Haggart after seeing him on TV before. I'll also call Ralph Reed and Gary Bauer as self-hating, gay closet cases. I can tell their gay by their manerisms, facial features, and then it's well known that those screaming the loudest against gay people are often gay themselves.
You'll never know how many homosexuals your "gaydar" overlooks. Not all gays have the same manerisms and facial features.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Umm..it's biblical..not just my opinion..

Leviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
maybe it was the writers opinion... biblical doesn't = fact.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You still haven't answered my question regarding all the other laws surrounding your cherry-picked verse. Why not obey them too?
When the Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians, sacrifices could no longer be performed in the ordained way.

When Jesus came and decreed:

37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Now, there are still admonishments regarding sin contained in the New Testament.

1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom. 1:26-28,
"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

Now I'm called to deny myself (Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.), and my lusts of the eye, flesh, and the pride of life.

If someone is a Christian they should indeed follow Christ. Christ was Jewish. With Him being perfect, this meant that He followed EVERY one of these laws. He then was murdered for the sin of mankind, including mine and those who don't even consider Him. He knew that he lead a perfect life, and even when He died He knew that everyone, even people to come would not accept His sacrifice, but He did it anyway. If someone cannot deny themselves for that, then who are you following.

This does not pertain to homosexuals exclusively as you may tell, but anyone living a lifestyle of sin.

If the Bible isn't your standard of living, then this is irrelevant to you, and quite frankly, that's your personal choice. It's the blessing of free will. Who am I, or anyone else to impose this on anyone. What I am called to do is share it with anyone that I am lead to share it with. Afterall, I'm just grateful that God was able to call me from a life of sin. Amen.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
None. Again we are talking about the actions, not the person. Stealing is a sin, should not we look at it as so? Should not we condemn the action of stealing or should we merely condone it and accept it as "ok" simply because we ourselves are also sinners? If a thief says stealing is wrong, does the fact that he is a thief invalidate his claim? We are to judge the actions of fellow Christians. We are to help each other stay on the path. We are not to accept sin as ok simply because we are all sinners. See the difference?
Being gay isn't an action, it's the person. You can decide not to steal something, you can't decide to change the way you are. If things were spun round and I (as a straight woman) was told it was improper to have relationships with men, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So now put yourself in the shoes of a gay person, being told to act against what they feel is right.

I have never in my life heard of a gay person going "Oh OK then I'll be straight", it's a ludicrous idea, so why on earth are people still haranguing them to change?? You might as well tell someone to be taller or stop having Down's Syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJayLaB View Post
When Jesus came and decreed:

37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.
OK I'm going to do a bit of cherry-picking of my own - surely it's all about the sentence above? We all instinctively know what is a right and good way of treating others, among which would be not making them feel like there's something wrong with them.

Jesus went and ate at the house of a badly-behaved tax collector. How about following the spirit of that rather than making gay people feel like social outcasts?

For what it's worth, I think if anything will be the downfall of America it's all the guns. But that's another thread entirely.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
we suffer when we do not live in accordance with our core values. if i stick out my lip and cross against the light, when the car hits, did god strike me down?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
man i think that anyone who condemns homosexuals and thinks they are driving the world into the ground should stop being such hypocrites and dump the computers that they are using

Old 03-29-2008, 03:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I think hatred, intolerance and religion are destroying America, not homosexuals.

Most gay people that I know are smart, funny, and hold good jobs.

I really don't know any who live in trailer parks or have that mentality; there's a lot of that in the heterosexual world, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality