Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Um...Jimmie, just because I said it was too much work does not mean I cannot easily tackle those passages. Like you, I have studied the bible extensively and I mean, extensively and from a fundamentalist point of view. I am even 5 decades old, but for well over 2 decades I was all about the bible. Read it cover to cover 4 times including the boring “begat” passages.

Over the years, I read all the apologetic books from people like Henry Morris, Josh McDowell, Ravi Zechariah, John Ankerberg, Norma Geisler, Lee Stroebel and a list of others including radio personalities like John MacArthur. I had my Thompson Chain Reference Bible, my concordances, Lexicons and Bible dictionaries. I used to listen to the Moody station out of Chicago as well as my local Christian station in Miami. I knew all the standard, corporate answers that were to be given if asked and I spent my earlier years on the internet (back in 1999) on sites like Lycos debating atheists and honed my debating skills. I was into the whole pre-trib, rapture, Millennium talk. Passed through the “yes you can lose your salvation” to “no once saved always saved” phase. I believed the OT foreshadowed the coming of Jesus and that it spoke of him and blah blah blah blah, so no, you’re not talking to someone who is clueless about your side of the fence. I know it VERY, VERY, VERY well. I’ve forgotten more Bible than some people even know about the bible.

I know that despite me saying all of that, there will be some who will discount me as one who was never truly a Christian or that I still did not fully understand the scriptures (by THEIR standard, of course).
Sorry, I wasn't bragging that I knew more than you. I just meant that understanding God's judgements outlined in the OT takes many years of study. Cherry-picking a few verses, cut and pasted from an atheist website, does not give a full understanding of the context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I ask this question about the average Christian sitting in the pews every Sunday with their pastor, minister or preacher telling them about this merciful, loving God....the God that is all good and all holy. Do they not know of the Bible passages where God takes delight in killing humans, taking others as spoils of war, etc. I seriously don't get the disconnect. Discussion?
What would you think of God if I could prove, from the Bible, He is going to save all mankind?

If eternal torment is true, then I would spit in God's face. No one in their right mind could worship or adore a monster like that. Thankfully, eternal torment is false.

Also, Where in the Bible does it state "God takes delight in killing humans"?

Where in the Bible has God ever gone to war via the Israelites and the people the Israelites fought did not deserve it?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sorry, I wasn't bragging that I knew more than you. I just meant that understanding God's judgements outlined in the OT takes many years of study. Cherry-picking a few verses, cut and pasted from an atheist website, does not give a full understanding of the context.
Jimmie, there is YOUR context and then there is the actual context. You see, the dilemma a Christian faces is that the bible is a book that shows theological evolution over time. Even if we just stick to the Old Testament, we find a very active god for the first two-thirds of the canon and then he goes rather silent in the latter third where we find more "thus says the lords." The grand miracles of Genesis, Exodus and I Kings, for example, are replaced with silence outside of chapters and chapters of Israel's immediate doom, her glorious future and various judgments against her enemies.

With the idea that Jesus IS God in later Christian theology, the Christians found themselves in a position where they risked being accused of idolatry in worshiping two gods. This was a profound problem for the Christians and as a result, the Old Testament had to reinterpreted OUT OF ITS CONTEXT to include or apply to Jesus in some form or fashion. In this way, the clear cut message and proper interpretation of various passages had to be derailed to bring them within the Christian worldview and thus do some serious injustice to the Jewish scriptures. So, when you cry "context," who is really not using the proper context or looking at the passage as it is by using a proper perspective?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Jimmie, there is YOUR context and then there is the actual context. You see, the dilemma a Christian faces is that the bible is a book that shows theological evolution over time. Even if we just stick to the Old Testament, we find a very active god for the first two-thirds of the canon and then he goes rather silent in the latter third where we find more "thus says the lords." The grand miracles of Genesis, Exodus and I Kings, for example, are replaced with silence outside of chapters and chapters of Israel's immediate doom, her glorious future and various judgments against her enemies.

With the idea that Jesus IS God in later Christian theology, the Christians found themselves in a position where they risked being accused of idolatry in worshiping two gods. This was a profound problem for the Christians and as a result, the Old Testament had to reinterpreted OUT OF ITS CONTEXT to include or apply to Jesus in some form or fashion. In this way, the clear cut message and proper interpretation of various passages had to be derailed to bring them within the Christian worldview and thus do some serious injustice to the Jewish scriptures. So, when you cry "context," who is really not using the proper context or looking at the passage as it is by using a proper perspective?
So you've discovered the actual context and became an ex-Christian. I'm wrong for continuing to be Christian. Typical atheist attitude.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
So you've discovered the actual context and became an ex-Christian. I'm wrong for continuing to be Christian. Typical atheist attitude.
Is that what you gathered from that?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Is that what you gathered from that?
Yeah. Yours vs. actual.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Yours vs. actual.
Jimmie, all that I was saying is that your Christian bias, which has come down to you came long AFTER the Jewish scriptures, forces the Jewish scriptures to be obscured, misinterpreted, reintepreted and thus, all kinds of wild conclusions are drawn. It is a disservice to the Jewish people their writings. Modern Christianity and, dispensationalism in particular, took great liberties in urinate all over the Jewish scriptures and pull and yank whatever they could glean from them to promote their worldview.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,935 times
Well what did we learn from this thread? We learned that Christians will go to any lengths to defend their psychopathic God. We learned that they use the word "context" to excuse the reprehensible behavior of their God. We learned that Christians on this board shy away from defending this so called "context" with any kind of intelligent discourse except to say that the atheists on this board do not know the Bible. Finally, I learned that I am so glad I am not a Christian and buy into the harmful belief system known as Christianity.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 PM

135 posts, read 128,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The glee with which you anticipate the agony that you imagine will be inflicted is palpable, your pretense of wishing otherwise notwithstanding. Were modern society not a restraint upon you, one shudders at what you would do. People of your mindset were the loudest cheerleaders during such horrors as the Inquisition, the Salem witch hunt, and countless other examples of mass religious slaughter throughout the ages.

Rather than be conflicted by the psychopathic protagonist of the Old Testament, you revere it in all its psychotic malice.
This sums up the impression I get from Perry's posts as well. There's quite a few fundies around here but his posts often seem to ooze anticipation for what he believes will happen to non believers. It's actually quite disturbing.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmas View Post
This sums up the impression I get from Perry's posts as well. There's quite a few fundies around here but his posts often seem to ooze anticipation for what he believes will happen to non believers. It's actually quite disturbing.
Christianity itself is quite disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality