Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 01:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,018,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Call Him a despot or tyrant also but one will be there for judgement day
Hidebound to a superstition, and as far as superstitions go, an oppressive and ridiculous one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 01:27 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,018,927 times
Many 'educated' people also joined Japan's Aum Shinrikyo (of sarin gas attack fame). Educated they may have been, but fools they were.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 PM

20,436 posts, read 12,752,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
The context under which children being dashed upon the rocks is good? No sorry...I don't see any context under which that is right under any circumstances. The context under which it's ok to stone a non virgin? Yeah sorry, once again drawing a blank on that one as being a good thing to do under any circumstance or in any time period. Do you personally think these are good actions and that if you knew someone who did these things or took delight in them would be someone you would look up to? Just curious. Otherwise you strike me as yet another Christian making excuses for psychopathic behavior for this God you worship, much like I'm sure some Germans made excuses as to why it was OK that Hitler was gassing the Jews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
No invention needed. You just need look no further than the Bible verses themselves.
You, like many strident atheists before you, have taken several passages out of context, and formed an opinion made of ignorance.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM

20,436 posts, read 12,752,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Many 'educated' people also joined Japan's Aum Shinrikyo (of sarin gas attack fame). Educated they may have been, but fools they were.
And they were quickly shown to be duped. Yet, thousands of years later, people still believe in and worship the creator.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,758,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Hidebound to a superstition, and as far as superstitions go, an oppressive and ridiculous one at that.
I guess once you commit yourself to believing that the God of the Bible is all good and all holy and everything he does HAS to be good, then you find yourself making the ridiculous assertions as do so many Christians do that it's all about CONTEXT. Same reasoning I'm sure that some Germans told themselves about how it was good that Hitler was purging Germany of an 'impure' race and that if our almighty Fuhrer does it, then it must by default be OK because well after all he is the Fuhrer and we are not to question the morality of it all because there just has to be a good 'context' and reason behind it all that we are not privy too.

More evidence to suggest that there is nothing like faith in Christianity to take otherwise atrocious acts and make them OK, as long as the God of the Bible does them. The God of the Bible, so good at his "do as I say but not as I do" approach to morality.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,132,903 times
Well, we've heard from a representative sampling of the kind, gentle, compassionate fans of the OT monster.

I hope some of the sensible Christians chime in. I know they're here!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,758,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You, like many strident atheists before you, have taken several passages out of context, and formed an opinion made of ignorance.
Please enlighten me about the context of say 2-3 of the passages so that my 'atheist, ignorant' brain can comprehend the flaws in my thinking about such things.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:59 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,312,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
None of those men ever gave their life for my redemption. None of them have ever been resurrected, to prove their diety.
Yeah, we know ... God sacrificed himself to himself to forgive humanity for actions God designed humans to commit in the first place.

Makes perfect pretzel-sense to me, I guess. If I look at it upside down while reading it in a mirror.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,312,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
This ain't no threat it is a promise.
I'll take your lack of denial as an admission of guilt.

You want people to burn in hell because they don't agree with you or like your god.

All you have to do is push just a wee little bit to expose the rotten core of fundamentalist belief systems. It's why I always say that there's no difference between ISIS and fundamentalist Christians except that the Christians are restrained by secular laws.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:51 PM

19,911 posts, read 13,408,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It's why I always say that there's no difference between ISIS and fundamentalist Christians except that the Christians are restrained by secular laws.
Yep, the Muslim world has so fused religious observance with governance that there is no such thing as secular rule of law. Ironically, this is the wet dream of fundamentalism -- some form of theocracy just like the Muslim world they so demonize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality