Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
...meanwhile in the southern hemisphere, santa, elves, reindeer snow et al are not on the radar, funny that?

And on xmas day, we will probably enjoy a BBQ or cold meats and salad depending on the rain, we will be in boxer shorts and tee shirts and if lucky, have the aircon on (if this damn cold weather will end already).

Pretty much like your August when we usually are a little chilly.
As the saying goes, if the stars align and the creek don't rise, I should be in Florida (Northern Hemisphere) enjoying the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
With an assist to:

The moon moderates the Earth's axial tilt, keeping it within a degree or two of its present 23-degree angle, preventing the natural tendency for the tilt of rotating bodies to vary widely over time, maybe approaching 0 degrees (eliminating seasonal variation) or approaching 90 degrees creating wild seasonal extremes.

It maintains the relative degree of our seasons.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
With an assist to:

The moon moderates the Earth's axial tilt, keeping it within a degree or two of its present 23-degree angle, preventing the natural tendency for the tilt of rotating bodies to vary widely over time, maybe approaching 0 degrees (eliminating seasonal variation) or approaching 90 degrees creating wild seasonal extremes.

It maintains the relative degree of our seasons.
The moon has been an essential part of the development of a climate friendly to life on earth from the beginning. A fitting tribute.

Now my real point: WHERE are you eating asparagus???? April-June is my favorite time of year, partly because I get nearly enough asparagus to suit even MY appetite.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The moon has been an essential part of the development of a climate friendly to life on earth from the beginning. A fitting tribute.

Now my real point: WHERE are you eating asparagus???? April-June is my favorite time of year, partly because I get nearly enough asparagus to suit even MY appetite.
Hahaha, love this. I am the same way. Fresh asparagus in season--can't be beat. Something to look forward to.

By the way, I like the pic in the OP, and I've seen it before. Nothing new. Just a good time of year for people of the Christian faith to observe their belief that Christ came as a light shining in the darkness. Corresponds with the physical world's celebration of the return of longer days. It seems that many ancient cultures observed the winter solstice--how is it odd that Christians would incorporate the same into their practices?

Advent begins tomorrow, for those of you who observe. It's the beginning of the liturgical church year. We begin in the darkness and prepare ourselves for the new light.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:47 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

It doesn't matter what you call it, it doesn't matter what you believe, THIS is the truth. As the ancients knew.
All very true. Internal clues in the Bible indicate that Jesus would have been born in the Spring or possibly early Summer. But since nobody knew when Jesus' birthday was, Christian missionaries used it as an opportunity. By celebrating Christ's birth on the Winter Solstice, they were able to make their religion more attractive to Romans who were celebrating Saturnalia then anyways. Christmas still has many of the trappings of Saturnalia and other Solstice related pagan festivals: Gift giving and lots of evergreen stuff.

Still, Christians do celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas. That is the central reason for Christmas now. It doesn't really matter what the origins are to me.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,758,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Put OH SO FACTUAL. No myths involved, right?
You want to celebrate a holiday with no myths involved? Join me in celebrating Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Axial tilt: The real reason for the season-festivus.jpg  

Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
You want to celebrate a holiday with no myths involved? Join me in celebrating Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:09 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
The Airing of Grievances!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality