Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nonsense (and you know it)! Christians love and serve their fellow man. My church operates a free medical and dental clinic, an after-school kid's club for at-risk kids, a food bank, winter coat donations, Christmas presents for kids from poor families, etc., all funded and manned by Christians.
You KNOW that most of those Christian services are operated by people looking for opportunities to preach to people about their beliefs, preaching to those they are "helping". I would be surprised if any of them do it out of any true compassion without the preaching, rather than as part of their "service" to their church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You KNOW that most of those Christian services are operated by people looking for opportunities to preach to people about their beliefs, preaching to those they are "helping". I would be surprised if any of them do it out of any true compassion without the preaching, rather than as part of their "service" to their church.
Yes, you would be surprised. Christians showing love to their fellow man, motivated by their love for Christ.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Yes, you would be surprised. Christians showing love to their fellow man, motivated by their love for Christ.
I still don't buy it. Most Christians I have met are very conservative about social service issues like health care. But I would understand them doing it if they thought it was in service to their church, which you seem to be denying that they do. It doesn't add up.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I still don't buy it. Most Christians I have met are very conservative about social service issues like health care. But I would understand them doing it if they thought it was in service to their church, which you seem to be denying that they do. It doesn't add up.
Then I will leave you to your cynicism.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Awesome subject to bring to the table. Thank you Loves the Mountain.
I think first we have to get to know Jesus and how beautifully gentle and kind he is. Because he the Son.
With subtlety and grace that is attributed to divine nature and given to all.
Now let us think how far we go in disobedience and how our father disciplines us. Not sure why the word jealous is used when describing guidance.
Love encompasses the depth of all creation. It is the word that describes everything including affection.
The cause and effect nature that is held by the reigns of our Lord is something to grasp to know the mind of Christ. Proverbs gives much on this subject.
If a parent see s vanity in a child how do they go about teaching them the right way. It takes love to discern what is wrong and what is to be done and this is called wisdom of God. Love restrains and lets lose.
We restrain the thoughts of superiority and let lose the one who are humble.
Well I could go on for hours. but i'll stop here and add more later. thank you and God Bless.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:42 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God is also said to be jealous. Would you like to eisegete that, as well?
Jealousy in god is a result of people trying to imagine how god would be, what he could be like, so they imagined the highest Being on Earth - a king; and then attributed things that go with being a king to god, and therefore created a cruel, petty, temperamental "king" (aka: god)

Old 11-29-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Are you speaking of a religious god or a more metaphorical god?

I agree that 'god' is love, but not in the manner you express. For the love is not just about what is pleasurable and good. One is to love the 'unlovable' as well.
When one can fully engage in unconditional love for all...that is god.
the idea that comes with a christian god says that god promises paradise (which is pleasure and all things good)

so yes, pleasure is the goal of everything, is the ultimate destination

to reach that goal you have to "love the unlovable" so to speak... in other words, you have to take the right steps to create a better world (which includes acting in love towards those who don't deserve it according to you (you being any person))

Old 11-29-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Love is action. Jesus died for our sins.
Yes... according to theology... and the goal? To make people happy (because life in heaven is about happiness). To remove the suffering (in hell).

So ultimately, the act of love brings happiness and removes suffering.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It means someone hasn't read the Old Testemant, where God is clearly a violent, hateful, genocidal psychotic.
Ideas in the Bible can be looked at separately. There are a few gems in there. And the rest is...not. So, taking one idea at a time.... that God is love... this one has merit, as far as I can see.

I am not talking about God being loving here. I am talking about a system which has a certain plan in mind to bring about the best situation possible. And that is what we perceive as "love" and also we can't tell the difference between the steps of the system and the rewards that the system gives us (in the form of feelings). So it's like we're saying the system IS the feelings. But no, the system causes the feelings to happen as a result of the steps that are followed.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Nonsense (and you know it)! Christians love and serve their fellow man. My church operates a free medical and dental clinic, an after-school kid's club for at-risk kids, a food bank, winter coat donations, Christmas presents for kids from poor families, etc., all funded and manned by Christians.
SOME Christians and SOME non-Christians are equally (so to speak) serve their fellow men.

Just as SOME Christians and SOME non-Christians are really mean and bad for their fellow men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality