Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times

Advertisements

I know someone who claims adherence to Christianity because he had at one point contracted hepatitis C and his body beat the disease on its own. He found this out after having taken a blood test - his blood tested positive for antibodies to hepatitis C, but no active virus, so his doctor said that this is what had happened. Statistically, as I've read, 15-20% of people who contract hepatitis C will whip it on their own without medication and often without even knowing they had it. He claims this as a miraculous healing in his life and because he doesn't believe in any god other than the Christian god, he attributes the miracle to the Christian god and uses this situation to back up his assertion of "that's why I'm a Christian".

So I want to see if any of y'all out there, who aren't Christian, have ever been healed of anything in any way that beat long odds. Put a different way, I want to know if you've experienced a healing that was so improbable, under the circumstances, that a garden-variety Christian would claim it to have come from nothing but the hand of God.

Any good stories? (Make sure you include what your religious affiliation is, or if you don't have one.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
The only one I can claim is a back that went and bent me double, when I sneezed of all things and that led to a chronic back problem that plagued me for years. However, that evening the doctor was called to see to me (doctors occasionally left the clinic to look at patients in those far -off days) and as soon as he knocked, my back miraculously cleared up, to my great embarrassment.

I might also mention an annoying skin (1) condition (unclean! )that lasted for ... a good few decades, and just over the last few years it has been clearing up.

If I had been praying for that during that time, I might well have told myself that God had finally decided to say 'Yes'.

(1) caused by a hot water -scald combined with an infection (2) picked up in Asia

(2) No not on the plonker.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
the doctor was called to see to me (doctors occasionally left the clinic to look at patients in those far -off days) and as soon as he knocked, my back miraculously cleared up, to my great embarrassment.
I had that happen with the TV repairman .
You think, unbeknownst to me, god beat the repairman to the door?

Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 AM

527 posts, read 708,784 times
God helps those who truly believe in Him in their heart (not fake belief). You cannot forget God constantly, and only ask for his help when you need him!

Yes, many Muslims in parts of the Middle East went to church and got healed.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
God helps those who truly believe in Him in their heart (not fake belief). You cannot forget God constantly, and only ask for his help when you need him!

Yes, many Muslims in parts of the Middle East went to church and got healed.
I didn't know Muslims attended church...

Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,074 times
People of all religions, and non-religions have been healed.
It is not just a Christian thing.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Any non-Christians ever been "miraculously" healed?

Um, no. When I was a christian I thought everything could be attributed to god, even my acne clearing up at 32 years old. Now I realize that my body changed and my skin wasn't as oily so voila, it cleared up on it's own. There were many, many things that I thought were miracles but they could be and have been explained quite easily by rationally thinking and/or scientifically. I've never seen or heard of in 40+ years of being a christian a true, unexplained miracle. That's probably because they don't exist. Btw, I am an atheist now.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:12 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
I used to suffer from crippling joint pain and inflammation, which was misdiagnosed in my teen years as Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. Much later in life, the doctor who tried unsuccessfully to prevent my 2nd wife's death from a rare neuroimmune illness, notice how I was hobbling around and offered to look into the matter. He demonstrated that I had been infected with chronic Lyme Disease and a six month course of pulsed antibiotics removed the symptoms by about week 3 of treatment. Other than some residual large joint damage, I have been completely free of the symptoms ever since -- some 10 years now.

Is this a miracle? No, but it's different from most medical outcomes, which are seldom such clear "wins", and I have zero doubt that most Christians would give all the glory to god, who did exactly nothing in this case, and only side billing to the good doctor, and to my careful adherence to the doctor's drug protocol despite the difficulties and risks involved.

In their desperation for evidence of the miraculous, Christians often cite positive medical outcomes (ignoring or rationalizing negative ones, of course), good luck, hard work, or generally anything pleasant as "miraculous". Accounts that sound more like actual miracles, invariably happened to 2nd or 3rd parties, and/or long ago.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
When I was 17, I was sitting in a car with a friend who thought he'd be cool by gunning the engine. The emergency brake cable snapped and we lurched headlong into a tree. When the car impacted, we had been going fast enough to literally put the tree in the front seat.

I went through the windshield. Doctors said my brain should have been mush ... at the very least, I should've suffered brain damage.

Except I didn't. Nor did I get a concussion. In fact, I didn't even need stitches. I should have died in that crash given the statistics. I walked away with nary a scratch.

I was an atheist then just as I am now.

No doubt had I been a Christian I would have jumped around screaming about how God saved me, that I must have a guardian angel looking out for me, perhaps even that I have some grandiose destiny in store for me. Perhaps I'm the Chosen One to unite all the tribes into one mighty kingdom to take on the Armies of Darkness unleashed by an ancient evil awakened too soon by dwarves who dug too deeply into the ground.

Oh wait ... never mind about the Balrog. Sometimes when I get to talking about miracles and magic, I accidentally slip into high fantasy mode. The two ARE difficult to tell apart, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality