Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
This is incorrect. The scriptures of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all have
strong references to fire, brimstone, eternal punishment, hell, and all these
things. Seriously. have a nice day !
1. Please show me the Jewish scriptures that point out that hell is eternal punishment, and that this eternal punishment is a fiery inferno of tortures.

2. Please support the assertion that Islam supports an idea of eternal punishment, and that this eternal punishment is a fiery inferno of tortures.

Have an awesome day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl012 View Post
Satan has made many attempts to escape the universe to return to heaven. It is interesting, scientists have discovered big black scars on the boundary of the universe. Some scientists claim they are caused by other universes bumping into our universe. However, there is no evidence for other universes.
But you're not troubled by the fact that there's no evidence for Satan, apparently?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 PM

360 posts, read 234,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
But you're not troubled by the fact that there's no evidence for Satan, apparently?
What evidence is there for God, angels, and all other supernatural creatures?

Old 12-06-2014, 11:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
What evidence is there for God, angels, and all other supernatural creatures?
Well, that's actually my point - there isn't any. Each of us chooses to believe, or not believe, whatever it is that we believe or do not believe based on what feels right to us. What feels right in our hearts. Because there is no real evidence, one way or the other.

But the person to whom I was replying was citing a lack of scientific evidence as a reason to disbelieve a scientific hypothesis. My point was, if you're going to use a lack of evidence as the criteria to reject a hypothesis, why does that same lack of evidence not cause him to be skeptical about his religion?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Well, that's actually my point - there isn't any. Each of us chooses to believe, or not believe, whatever it is that we believe or do not believe based on what feels right to us. What feels right in our hearts. Because there is no real evidence, one way or the other.

But the person to whom I was replying was citing a lack of scientific evidence as a reason to disbelieve a scientific hypothesis. My point was, if you're going to use a lack of evidence as the criteria to reject a hypothesis, why does that same lack of evidence not cause him to be skeptical about his religion?
One also has the right to believe in supernatural beings with or without evidence. Religion isn't science where the scientific method applies. I chose to believe in supernatural beings without scientific evidence. After all, this is a religion forum.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
Quote:
One also has the right to believe in supernatural beings with or without evidence. Religion isn't science where the scientific method applies. I chose to believe in supernatural beings without scientific evidence. After all, this is a religion forum.
Fine, but don't tell my children that they have to believe in the same nonsense, or they'll burn in 'hell'; and don't use these unscientific 'beliefs' as a way to forgo paying TAXES!

in other words, keep thy religion to thyself!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Fine, but don't tell my children that they have to believe in the same nonsense, or they'll burn in 'hell'; and don't use these unscientific 'beliefs' as a way to forgo paying TAXES!

in other words, keep thy religion to thyself!
Why lecture me? How about all those other believers, there are plenty on this forum. Waste your atheism on them. I'll ignore your advise and post what I please.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Why lecture me? How about all those other believers, there are plenty on this forum. Waste your atheism on them. I'll ignore your advise and post what I please.
You clearly missed the point. It wasn't directed at you, *****; it was directed at all fundies who confess to believing in magical fairies without any evidence.

"waste your atheism..."? lol
you too share my atheist views towards 99.9% of the gods out there my friend. have you ever stopped and think about that? ....i didn't think so.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
You clearly missed the point. It wasn't directed at you, *****; it was directed at all fundies who confess to believing in magical fairies without any evidence.

"waste your atheism..."? lol
you too share my atheist views towards 99.9% of the gods out there my friend. have you ever stopped and think about that? ....i didn't think so.
Very good, yes, I share your atheistic view about all those other Gods. There is only one God, his essence drives out all the competition.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Very good, yes, I share your atheistic view about all those other Gods. There is only one God, his essence drives out all the competition.
Those other people with those other inferior gods, feel just as strongly about their gods, and think 'your' god is the inferior one! is it possible that the 'essence' you speak of is just 'nonsense' spelled differently? i know thinking.hurts.brain but please do try!

Last edited by Thinking-man; 12-08-2014 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality