Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
All I can say is - join the liberalized club.

One of the reasons why I came to the States in the first place is to escape Indian traditions like arranged marriages. Women are more than pieces of property to be bartered away to secure political and business alliances.

Some traditions deserve to die.
I really like Indian traditions besides arranged marriage though. Is it possible for me to be devoted to god, and marry out of my race.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-05-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This is the bitter truth that I have with great difficulty realized today. I'm the only one among my high school buddies who follows south Indian traditions so closely among all my high school friends from India. Its shameful, and I kind of feel left out. I just cant work up the guts to change my mindset and move forward like they did. Trust me, I've tried, but my heart stops me from proceeding in such a direction. Why ?

Please avoid derogatory replies. I feel conflicted about myself as it is. I need to find a way past my contradictions.
When you say "south Indian", do you mean spiritual practices, such as Hinduism? When you say they've liberalized, are they religious at all? Have they just ditched religion all together, or do they hold to a nominal Hinduism?

I used to work with a number of Indians. A few are Christians, and many of them are Hindu--in various degree of devotion. I can imagine it's a much different world to come from India and live in the US.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
The problem is, my mind thinks in one way, my heart feels that way, and then makes a complete 180, hence the reason I feel conflicted. I'm confused, as my heart keeps oscillating from one side to another in terms of feelings.

Who can help me deal with this problem. Psychologists deal with the mind, but its not my mind that's the issue. My heart is the big culprit here.
Your heart is you mind...

Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
The mind/heart conflict you describe is exactly the sort of thing that counselors are trained to help with. As are the results of childhood abuse.

I think you would find it very helpful, and encouraging.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
When you say "south Indian", do you mean spiritual practices, such as Hinduism? When you say they've liberalized, are they religious at all? Have they just ditched religion all together, or do they hold to a nominal Hinduism?
Just remove arranged marriage but hold on to other cultural beliefs. Especially the food , I love making spicy briyani (yum ).

Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Just remove arranged marriage but hold on to other cultural beliefs. Especially the food , I love making spicy briyani (yum ).
Is that the main issue? The arranged marriage deal.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I really like Indian traditions besides arranged marriage though. Is it possible for me to be devoted to god, and marry a southerner.
Are asking that generally? Or is there a current interest now in a "southerner"?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Is that the main issue? The arranged marriage deal.
Yes, for the most part, they don't want me with anyone outside my brahmin caste. I want to open up a bit more. I want to spend my life with strong, sexy, independent ladies, who respect me as a partner, not damsels in distress. Someone who has the guts to fight back when needed.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Are asking that generally? Or is there a current interest now in a "southerner"?
In general, people out of my race who I'm attracted to.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, for the most part, they don't want me with anyone outside my brahmin caste. I'm not so intent on marrying brahmin women. I want to spend my life with strong, sexy, independent ladies, and not damsels in distress. Someone who has the guts to speak up or fight when needed.
How close are you to "expected" marrying age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality