Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Tacky, dude. Pretty tacky. How do you know she's telling the truth? But you are using this account (of which you have no way of verifying) to make statements regarding him and his parenting.

I'm sure NO kid has EVER made a false statement or alleged abuse that didn't actually happen regarding their parents, huh?
You must be a fan of Phillips of the Westboro-Baptist Church, huh?...You should see what some of his apostate children stated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wonder how she did at Dog Shows, did she win a Blue Ribbon?...
I was thinking something similar.....

Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Many Christians look upon a story like this as little more than an extreme reaction to a bad childhood under strict authoritative religious and/or fundamentalist parents.
That's not a new story. I have to admit to a certain amount of skepticism myself.
I am more impressed by converts to atheism that had no such traumatic childhoods.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Many Christians look upon a story like this as little more than an extreme reaction to a bad childhood under strict authoritative religious and/or fundamentalist parents.
That's not a new story. I have to admit to a certain amount of skepticism myself.
I am more impressed by converts to atheism that had no such traumatic childhoods.
I still have to point out that the childhood in Rachel's case does not seem to have been a factor in her deconversion. It was purely and simply reading the Bible and eventually being overwhelmed by increasing doubt that it was reliable.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I still have to point out that the childhood in Rachel's case does not seem to have been a factor in her deconversion. It was purely and simply reading the Bible and eventually being overwhelmed by increasing doubt that it was reliable.
However, you cannot claim to know if or how much it did factor into it.
She may not even know.
Even just on this message board there are plenty of people who have found the Bible to be unreliable, Christianity to be untenable but still have beliefs of a god of one sort or another and are not atheists.

I'm not saying she isn't sincere but just that atheism declared without an emotion filled background makes a less suspect tale.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
However, you cannot claim to know if or how much it did factor into it.
She may not even know.
Even just on this message board there are plenty of people who have found the Bible to be unreliable, Christianity to be untenable but still have beliefs of a god of one sort or another and are not atheists.

I'm not saying she isn't sincere but just that atheism declared without an emotion filled background makes a less suspect tale.
I take your point. However, comparing the conversion accounts of William O'Hair and Rachel Slick, the former is all about the home life and the fall out from it and how helpful faith could be, and nothing about evidential reasons to believe. Rachel's was maikng no mention of a bad reaction to home life and that seemed to have made no difference to her faith after she left home (and she says for reasons that were not relevant). It is all about studying the Bible and doubting that it was reliable. In fact a rather small thing in itself - after all, witnesses don't always agree but it was the thing that released the pent -up torrent of doubt.

I would suggest that, to read some covering up of a reaction against a domineering father is really not even reading between the lines but writing something in between the lines, because the story as it is does not please some people.

I would love for Rachel to come here and clarify, but as an atheist Icon, she is now too far above..

Oooppp

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I found it a fascinating account of a harrowing upbringing in an ultra-religious, fundamentalist Christian family.
For your interest, we had a thread on that around here around the time the post was made. Perhaps some of the content of it will be interesting to you.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
For your interest, we had a thread on that around here around the time the post was made. Perhaps some of the content of it will be interesting to you.
What I found interesting was that I commented in that thread and obviously, promptly forgot I had done so.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:33 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Tacky, dude. Pretty tacky. How do you know she's telling the truth? But you are using this account (of which you have no way of verifying) to make statements regarding him and his parenting.

I'm sure NO kid has EVER made a false statement or alleged abuse that didn't actually happen regarding their parents, huh?
Ah I see ... if an atheist says her Christian parents abused her, then she MUST be lying about it.

Christians never do anything wrong, remember. Christ didn't die on the cross for Christians because they're already perfect.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Also remember, the way some Christians treat their kids, they don't consider abuse.
After so many statements made by Vizio on the subject of morality , it might be with him, anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality