Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

I recently heard that the Catholic church is opposed to IVF in vitro fertilization.

I know it's a controversial issue religiously, but I know that other religious people have used IVF in order to have a child. I know a person that identifies as Catholic but is going through IVF in hopes of having a child.

I have heard of other religious people going through IVF , including a Jewish rabbi and his wife. So I am guessing that Jews don't have an opposition to IVF. I have heard that there is more study spent of IVF in Israel and that the government actually funds it too...I don't know if this is true or not but what I heard.

Is the Catholic stance on IVF accurate to what I heard? Would it be considered a sin for a Catholic mother to go through IVF ?

Mostly curious about the Catholic perspective on this, but also the views of other religions.

Also I'm wondering if Catholic and other Christian religions are opposed to IVF but the Jewish religion is not, does this mean there would be less adoptions by Jewish people as they have the 'option' of IVF while Catholics for example may not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I know Hindus do not generally have a problem with IVF. I have heard that the religious do, however, disapprove of anonymous sperm donations, and that sperm donations are typically only approved of when they are donated by a male relative of a woman's husband, so that the resulting child will still biologically be a member of both families. Other then that there are no major controversies surrounding this practice amongst Hindus.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
The Catholic Church is very much against IVF, but that doesn't mean that Catholics don't do it. Most Catholics also use birth control so what the church teaches is not always what the followers do.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:16 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
I am sorry up front but First thing that came to mind was a joke. If you were a calvinist its wrong because that is the husbands property no one is aloud there..

Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
To the more serious side I see at as a flaw in decisions. If a person cannot physically have a child why not adopt. If the heart is in the right place love the child not the process. I can think of every conceivable reason to want to use ivf. But the reasons are all carnal or selfish. Mother wants to carry the child in HER womb. Mother wants HER dna. Same goes for the DAD. So where is the heart in these decisions. But hey everyone wants what they want right now. Technology with such childish recklessness is my opinion.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I think a lot of this is true as the person wouldn't even consider a donor egg and wants "her DNA" as you said

Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I think the Catholic Church sat down and tried to reconcile their teaching on all forms of life and contraception and death.

I actually admire what they have said:
Abortion is wrong because it ends life.
The death penalty is wrong because it ends life.
Euthanasia is wrong because it ends a life.
Birth Control is wrong because it prevents life.
IVF is wrong because it is altering nature/God's will in the same way that abortion does. And tangentially successful IVF sometimes requires selective abortions so that a woman with multiple embryos does not end up with dangerous multi-child births.

Similarly the Catholic Church has warmed up to environmentalism and has become increasingly anti-war. And anti-poverty.

So the anti-IVF is really about respecting life as it is created & falls in line with the churches teachings across multiple issues.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I recently heard that the Catholic church is opposed to IVF in vitro fertilization.

I know it's a controversial issue religiously, but I know that other religious people have used IVF in order to have a child. I know a person that identifies as Catholic but is going through IVF in hopes of having a child.

I have heard of other religious people going through IVF , including a Jewish rabbi and his wife. So I am guessing that Jews don't have an opposition to IVF. I have heard that there is more study spent of IVF in Israel and that the government actually funds it too...I don't know if this is true or not but what I heard.

Is the Catholic stance on IVF accurate to what I heard? Would it be considered a sin for a Catholic mother to go through IVF ?

Mostly curious about the Catholic perspective on this, but also the views of other religions.

Also I'm wondering if Catholic and other Christian religions are opposed to IVF but the Jewish religion is not, does this mean there would be less adoptions by Jewish people as they have the 'option' of IVF while Catholics for example may not?
I think the main reason that Catholicism is opposed to in-vitro is that it involves the fertilization of some embryos that will not be implanted, and are destroyed. They view that, effectively as abortion. I'm not Catholic, but I agree with them.

My wife and I had trouble conceiving our first child, and we had decided together that we would seek to adopt before we did in-vitro for those reasons.

I would suggest that if a catholic person is considering it, they should speak to their priest before proceeding.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think the main reason that Catholicism is opposed to in-vitro is that it involves the fertilization of some embryos that will not be implanted, and are destroyed. They view that, effectively as abortion. I'm not Catholic, but I agree with them.

My wife and I had trouble conceiving our first child, and we had decided together that we would seek to adopt before we did in-vitro for those reasons.

I would suggest that if a catholic person is considering it, they should speak to their priest before proceeding.
Did you guys ultimately do IVF?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality