Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I can't speak for others, but as I said in my initial post, for me the most defining issue is abortion. As long as the Democratic party embraces abortion "rights" and the Republican party does not, I will remain a Republican.

My husband teases me and calls me a "closet Democrat" because regarding many social issues, I have a tendency to lean to the left, but again....I guess I am one of those "one issue voters." The fact is a lot of things are important but IMO abortion trumps everything else.
I can understand that, and I'm pro-life myself, but I guess, like you said, it's all about the priorities of individuals. To me, abortion is a sensitive issue, but I believe that it is never going to be outlawed and if it will, it will be a disaster, because these young girls will still do abortions left and right, just illegally and less safely. So therefore, AT LEAST FOR ME, I can't put this as a priority while our kids (the fetuses that are already born) are dying in Iraq for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM

255 posts, read 608,323 times
How do you define a TRUE Christian?

I won't vote for Huckabee in part because I don't want a president who doesn't accept science.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM

14,952 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Not to strain off topic, there is no such thing as Judeo/Christian. It's either Judaism or Christianity. 2 opposite and different religions.
Seems you have a penchant for "straining of topic".

How 'bout a new thread? and this one will stay on the OP.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Modern day fallasy. It's not how this country was founded.
The true fallacy, I'm afraid, is that religion should have any place in the political arena.

Regardless of our personal views, religion and politics do not mix. It's been proven time and time again -- the Crusades, while overused as an example, are still a prominent one. Many of them were launched purely for political and/or religious gain.

Every time someone brings this up this topic, there's inevitably a wave of differing opinions. Christian sees different than Pagan sees different from Bahá'í.

It's never going to stop, nor will it ever be a clear-cut issue; as long as we allow religion to color our politics, there will be no 'middle ground' -- someone is always going to lose.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Seems you have a penchant for "straining of topic".

How 'bout a new thread? and this one will stay on the OP.

It's ok, I already stated my point.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I can understand that, and I'm pro-life myself, but I guess, like you said, it's all about the priorities of individuals. To me, abortion is a sensitive issue, but I believe that it is never going to be outlawed and if it will, it will be a disaster, because these young girls will still do abortions left and right, just illegally and less safely. So therefore, AT LEAST FOR ME, I can't put this as a priority while our kids (the fetuses that are already born) are dying in Iraq for nothing.
While I understand that we all can't agree on everything it simply boggles my mind that people can look aside at the abortion issue...innocent life being taken in the name of birth control.

Over 42 MILLION abortions about 1.4 million per year (And those are the figures we actually know about) have been performed in the United States. It's our #1 killer.

Tearing a baby apart limb from limb and flushing it down a sink is simply disgusting and reprehensible.

The 4000 or so soldiers in Iraq who were killed, last I checked were there as volunteers and WANTED to fight in the armed forces. (God Bless their souls!)

As for people going underground if abortion is outlawed...even if 10% are stupid enough to break the law and do, you just stopped 1,260,000 babies from being put to death PER YEAR in the name of birth control.

When we want it, it's a baby, when we want to kill it, it's a "fetus".

Abortion is a huge black eye and needs to be stopped so yea, to me it's a big priority. Right there with terrorism if not more important.

How would anyone feel about voting for a candidate if he was "okay" with slavery either way..."hey if you, don't want a slave, don't get one." Well the issues are pretty similar when you look at them.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
How do you define a TRUE Christian?

I won't vote for Huckabee in part because I don't want a president who doesn't accept science.

LOL I almost fell over with that quote! I think what you mean is I don't want a president who will not accept the THEORY of evolution as fact.

Christians certaily do accept science...there are plenty of intelligent design people out there, and many Christian scientists. lol

Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
The true fallacy, I'm afraid, is that religion should have any place in the political arena.

Regardless of our personal views, religion and politics do not mix. It's been proven time and time again -- the Crusades, while overused as an example, are still a prominent one. Many of them were launched purely for political and/or religious gain.
Well from your Canadian perspective I can understand why you would think the greatest nation on the face of the Earth was a "mistake" - shame on those Christians for starting a nation based on Judeo-Christian principles.

I won't even get into the crusade debate and de-rail this thread...all I'll say is do some actualy unbiased research.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 PM

255 posts, read 608,323 times
There are a lot of Christians who accept evolution too.

I don't want a president who can't accept the scientific evidence that the world is older than 6000 years.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL I almost fell over with that quote! I think what you mean is I don't want a president who will not accept the THEORY of evolution as fact.

Christians certaily do accept science...there are plenty of intelligent design people out there, and many Christian scientists. lol
I always find it funny how conservatives put emphasis on the **theory** of evolution and then refer to "intelligent design" as science (as opposed the THEORY of God and creationism). Sure, the contents of evolution is all theory...but then again, so can the majority of all science. However, the THEORY of the theory of evolution is a fact...as opposed to Christians trying to argue the creationism is beyond a theory, but a fact. Follow me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality