U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

649 posts, read 1,639,283 times

Advertisements

I'm 62. I've been a Christian and have known Christians as long as I can remember. What is this term that came along in the last few years - Evangelical Christians? Is it just the latest buzzword? What's the difference between an Evangelical Christian and just a good ole everyday Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,873,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
I'm 62. I've been a Christian and have known Christians as long as I can remember. What is this term that came along in the last few years - Evangelical Christians? Is it just the latest buzzword? What's the difference between an Evangelical Christian and just a good ole everyday Christian?

Evangelicals have big hair and speak with southern drawl

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,824,034 times
i think theyre all about seeming angelic.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,936,165 times
Quote:
I use the word evangelical as a PC term for Christians that want to shove their beliefs down your throat and insist that their way is the only way.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

364 posts, read 683,495 times
Quote:

It means chrisitians who go out in different places etc.... they travel etc... tv and more to tell there view.

every christian is Evangelical in some bit we are all told to go out into the world etc.......

Nothing new really thou others religions also do the same thing.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM

206 posts, read 505,012 times
Evangelical Christianity is basically what it sounds like. It is a term for Christians who place a great deal of emphasis on evangelism, which is basically preaching with the intent to convert, or as some of us call it "Cramming their religion down everyone elses throats."

Evangelicalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The public face of Evangelicalism has often run hand in hand with fundementalism, but it isn't always or, according to wikipedia anyway, the majority. I suppose I can support that somewhat. I know one person reasonably well whom I consider to be evangelical, as she was always getting involved with missionary trips and similar, though I am happy to say I never got the impression that she was trying to force anything on anyone.

As to whether it is a fad or not, the group has come to prominence a few times before in the past, then receded somewhat at other times, so the popularity of it might come and go as fads can do, but I don't really think it is the same thing myself.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM

6,715 posts, read 11,874,284 times
To me, it's what is absolutely terrifying about religion. As far as a fad is concerned.... I don't know if I would call it a fad (in the sense of a fashion statement) but more like radical idealism similar to a cult.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,311,624 times
"Evangelical Christian" as used in the media is the politically correct term for fundmentalist Christian. "Evangelical Christians" include Baptist, Pentacostal, Assembly of God, and Church of Christ. Mainline Protestant denominations like Lutheran, Methodist, and Episcopalean are not "evangelical" in this sense. I hate the term "evangelical Christian" the way it is used in the media today. Call it what it is, fundamentalism.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

238 posts, read 546,340 times
"Evangelical" is simply a translation of the Greek word "euangellismos" which means Gospel or Good News. It was first used by Luther to describe his movement.

In a sense, all Christians who believe in the good news of Jesus Christ as presented in the Gospels are evangelicals. There are evangelicals in virtually every branch of the Church.

Unfortunately, it's a loose term that can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As a slightly pejorative term, used by the media to describe conservative Christians; yes it is a fairly recent fad.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,863,794 times
I am an evangelical christian. It is just a new title like you have said. A christian should realy be just a christian. Unfortunately, most people who call themselves christians are anything but. Often to say you are christian may just mean you are American or not budist etc... It does not mean that you follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. Some people just use it to mean that they grew up in a christian nation or when they were a child they went to mass. So, true christians over the years have used the term evangelic christian to mean something more. like you read the bible or you were outward with you faith.

The media has come to use this term as well to specify the more radical or fundamental christians. But most of the media get it wrong anyways.

Other tack on names like "evangelical christian" can be "charismatic christian", "on-fire christian", "Bible believing christian". These are just tack on words to give emphasis to the degree to which you are a christian.

A christian should be a christian. The should follow the teachings of Christ. They should teach their faith, make desciples, baptize them, and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth. This is based on what Jesus Christ said. Hopefully if you are a Christian you will do these things and not need a tack-on to your Christianity to bring emphasis to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality