Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Correct, but I was thinking more along the lines of why we should listen to anything any Christian has to say when they themselves may not even be what they profess (and just don't know it yet).
This is just the point I'm discussing on the Christianity thread 'What I believe' where the validity of faith is under discussion where someone as basic as Paul is declared (on the basis I may say of a poster's personal convictions that the facts are otherwise) to be mistaken.

This is why I think Theist apologists cannot ever admit they are wrong except over minor things that don't really matter. But admitting they have got it wrong damages this apparent belief that they are inspired with the truth. It seems that the *** (good grief? Is that rude word?) game ought to have been up centuries ago but how adroit they are at going away and coming back a bit later with a changed view which they seem to pretend is what they had all along. As indeed the churches all seem to pretend as they gradually morph along behind public opinion.

It is pretty clear that faith in ..well the faith must be maintained and any hint that it could be mistaken by quoting someone who had just the same views, experiences and beliefs but later came to see that they were not believable - it has to be claimed that these could not have been of the same true Quality as those that must be regarded as true beyond all doubt and question. They could really have been For real as much as those are still buying -in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Here's a distillation of all the kind words Christians have for the "life without god" pastor's "coming out":

How Christians Reacted After Ex-Pastor Ryan Bell All But Confirmed He’s an Atheist

Quote:
“What a dirtbag. Sorry, without Christ your ‘good deeds’ are worth *****.”
“Calling evil good and good evil… where have we heard that before, I wonder?”
“I was wondering if he is dating a male or female.”
“Seems as though he is sewing the devils fruits to me.”
“Smells like someone is having a mid-life crisis.”
“He is not smart enough to be able to see the difference between religion and belief.”
“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light….. Isaiah 5:20.”
“Being good without boundaries. The serpent couldn’t have said it any better.”
“No God, no concience… No God, no peace… Now come out of the closet f___ot.”

Old 12-29-2014, 11:46 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is just the point I'm discussing on the Christianity thread 'What I believe' where the validity of faith is under discussion where someone as basic as Paul is declared (on the basis I may say of a poster's personal convictions that the facts are otherwise) to be mistaken.

This is why I think Theist apologists cannot ever admit they are wrong except over minor things that don't really matter. But admitting they have got it wrong damages this apparent belief that they are inspired with the truth. It seems that the *** (good grief? Is that rude word?) game ought to have been up centuries ago but how adroit they are at going away and coming back a bit later with a changed view which they seem to pretend is what they had all along. As indeed the churches all seem to pretend as they gradually morph along behind public opinion.

It is pretty clear that faith in ..well the faith must be maintained and any hint that it could be mistaken by quoting someone who had just the same views, experiences and beliefs but later came to see that they were not believable - it has to be claimed that these could not have been of the same true Quality as those that must be regarded as true beyond all doubt and question. They could really have been For real as much as those are still buying -in.
The followers of Christ are his church and in so his building. You will know a follower by their fruits. But no one is 100% in God till he is remade. That is why it is called a walk in this life. And all the members in Christ work together to lift or correct each other to maintain the Church. So what if someone changes their mind and lies about the fact? Call them out for what it is they hold onto. PRIDE. But correct with kind words. Not spite full in manners. The conversation is to remain fruit full. For those that have strike will fight back. So what? Do you accord the strife or ignore it. Well sometimes you just got to pull out the iron rod. The solid truth.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Here's a distillation of all the kind words Christians have for the "life without god" pastor's "coming out":

How Christians Reacted After Ex-Pastor Ryan Bell All But Confirmed He’s an Atheist
We see that sort of ugliness from some Christian posters here too. Guess certain low forms of Christianity attract certain low types of people.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We see that sort of ugliness from some Christian posters here too. Guess certain low forms of Christianity attract certain low types of people.
And low forms of Christian will punished pretty harshly by the truth of their ugliness.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM

34Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, 35but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.…
Acts 10;34

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
34Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, 35but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.…
Acts 10;34

But what if he was mistaken?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Really? I would think that his family would suffer more if he continued to go through the motions of being a believer when he clearly does not. If his wife has left him because he is no longer a believer, that's a reflection of her character, not his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's sad that he felt his experiment was worth the disintegration of his family. It's awful to hear children being put through this. He is selfish and lost. Kat Kerr was just preaching on the fact that as believers, we cannot dabble in darkness and not expect for it to overtake us. This is the prime example of that.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...not really. I just believe the Bible. It says that if a person walks away from the faith, then they were never in it to begin with.
Well, of course the Bible would say that. Think about it. That's how they keep people in the fold.

I don't know how to say this nicely, but every post I've ever read from you is "The Bible," "The Bible," "The Bible," "The Bible," "The Bible." I understand how important it is to you, but maybe you could set it down for a second and apply some critical thought to what it says.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Statistics beg to differ. I know you want to be right but facts trump your opinion. A majority of the world is Catholic and if you knew anything about the Catholic religion, you'd know they do believe in Christ the savior. I would educate myself if I were you.
You may want to recalibrate your presumption

List of religious populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality