U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,711,233 times

Advertisements

his verdict is in. "God does not exist."

"At the start of 2014, former Seventh-Day Adventist pastor Ryan Bell made an unusual New Year's resolution: to live for one year without God. This, reflecting his own loss of faith. He kept a blog documenting his journey and has a documentary crew following him."

After Year Of Atheism, Former Pastor: 'I Don't Think God Exists' : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 AM

14,070 posts, read 8,562,897 times
Good for him.

His most cogent statement is, "certainty is overrated". And his most practical takeaway is that he's still basically the same person with the same burden to reduce human suffering -- it is now just more reality-based. And he's right also that atheism is an awkward and ill-fitting label for real world interactions, and shouldn't be a focus in most settings.

All of this is totally consistent with my own departure from theism.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM

34,481 posts, read 8,888,267 times
Blimey. But I gather he was already deep in doubt. It's not like a firm believer resolved to live like an atheist for a year.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 AM

14,070 posts, read 8,562,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Blimey. But I gather he was already deep in doubt. It's not like a firm believer resolved to live like an atheist for a year.
I think he really just is a good marketer who packaged the standard transition away from doubt taboos in an especially creative and engaging way. You're right, the very ability to experiment with unbelief in any way demands as a prerequisite, that you already have substantial doubts and that theistic belief-structures have already failed you. If you weren't pretty sure of yourself you would be afraid that you'd be guilty of undermining other's faith. If you're so unattached to faith already, unbelief is almost a fait accompli. This is something any theist intuitively knows, and it's exactly why they have so much fear and loathing for unbelief (and unbelievers).

Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,970,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
his verdict is in. "God does not exist."

"At the start of 2014, former Seventh-Day Adventist pastor Ryan Bell made an unusual New Year's resolution: to live for one year without God. This, reflecting his own loss of faith. He kept a blog documenting his journey and has a documentary crew following him."

After Year Of Atheism, Former Pastor: 'I Don't Think God Exists' : NPR
Should it surprise us that a guy walks away from a legalistic religion and he finds more happiness without trying to please God?

He didn't know Christ...and he still doesn't. Nothing has changed.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM

7,367 posts, read 6,527,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Should it surprise us that a guy walks away from a legalistic religion and he finds more happiness without trying to please God?

He didn't know Christ...and he still doesn't. Nothing has changed.
I guess he just didn't have the advantage of "just knowing" as you do. Nor does it seem that he has the advantage of not being judged by those who never knew him. BTW, I don't believe he nor you are "Scotsmen".

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,970,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I guess he just didn't have the advantage of "just knowing" as you do. Nor does it seem that he has the advantage of not being judged by those who never knew him. BTW, I don't believe he nor you are "Scotsmen".
My point is that he apparently was religious, but he didn't know Christ. There is a difference.

It's not about religion, or trying to please God by doing things. Many people get tired of trying to please God by their actions, or working hard to do what the church requires of them, and when they eventually have enough they walk away.

As for your argument about the true Scotsman fallacy? I don't care. The Bible says that the true Christian is one that is chosen and predestined by God and he will NOT walk away. If this guy walked away, he wasn't a Christian. Don't like it? Don't care.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 AM

870 posts, read 756,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

As for your argument about the true Scotsman fallacy? I don't care. The Bible says that the true Christian is one that is chosen and predestined by God and he will NOT walk away. If this guy walked away, he wasn't a Christian. Don't like it? Don't care.

Well, it seems that God doesn't want as much to do with the current generation, as many youths are turning away from the path of blind certainty in Christ. He also doesn't want much to do with the majority of the world's population who do not believe in Christ as their saviour.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 AM

9,347 posts, read 15,792,238 times
Is the documentary crew following him around because of a hopeful or pending book deal?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 AM

23,284 posts, read 12,061,902 times
More and more people every day are realizing how difficult it is to continue believing in the bible God.

And what a relief it is when one stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality